British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Dubai - good or bad (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dubai-good-bad-551492/)

azulniew Jul 27th 2008 11:33 am

Dubai - good or bad

Hi

I may have a job offer in Dubai but am getting mixed signals on here and in the News about whether Dubai is a good place to be.

Putting the tax free money to one side can you give us an idea on what you think are the good and bad points about working and living in Dubai?

Thanks

twinkle-star Jul 27th 2008 11:38 am

Re: Dubai - good or bad

Originally Posted by azulniew (Post 6615461)
Hi

I may have a job offer in Dubai but am getting mixed signals on here and in the News about whether Dubai is a good place to be.

Putting the tax free money to one side can you give us an idea on what you think are the good and bad points about working and living in Dubai?

Thanks

Its hot, noisy, dusty, expensive and has some mad BE people living there.......:lol:

azulniew Jul 27th 2008 11:40 am

Is everyone mad or can you go to bars etc where there are no boorish people?

Spugsy Jul 27th 2008 11:53 am

Originally Posted by azulniew (Post 6615488)

what??

twinkle-star Jul 27th 2008 11:57 am

Originally Posted by azulniew (Post 6615488)

Nope ...All Mad..Its the sun...drives people crazy...........:lol:

Madam Medusa Jul 27th 2008 12:20 pm

like anywhere, some people love it (like me) and others don't...seeing as we don't know you, we have no idea whether you will be the former or the latter...come and see for yourself...

MM, xx

Inselaffen Jul 27th 2008 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by azulniew (Post 6615461)
Hi

Thanks

Don't accept a job without first coming out here for a few days.
its a bit of a love it or hate it place.

azulniew Jul 27th 2008 12:28 pm

Well we like to have a drink, meet people, eat good food, listen to good music, movies, bowling, travel etc.

We dont have kids and are used to moving to new places and countries.

What we hear is that Dubai is full of people behaving badly but I can't beleive everyone is like that?

And I am not thinking of accepting the job before visiting but I would like to get a broader view from people living there.

Meow Jul 27th 2008 12:33 pm

Dubai is not FULL of people behaving badly :rolleyes: Like anywhere you get a few idiots, but please don't believe the rubbish you read in the UK tabs.

-

admon Jul 27th 2008 12:35 pm

You obviously read the wrong UK newspapers.

People are generally far better behaved here than the Uk..

and the locals go to pray 5 times a day which makes them almost saintly (ok 'prophety').

The idea of going wild here is a few people having drinks in a bar...

...mmm crazzy man

Spugsy Jul 27th 2008 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by azulniew (Post 6615614)
Well we like to have a drink, meet people, eat good food, listen to good music, movies, bowling, travel etc.

We dont have kids and are used to moving to new places and countries.

What we hear is that Dubai is full of people behaving badly but I can't beleive everyone is like that?

And I am not thinking of accepting the job before visiting but I would like to get a broader view from people living there.

if you like that then you'll love it mate, and no, there's no way as near many people doing anything daft, nothing like the UK mate, don't believe all that you read.

Definately come out though, I came for a week and decided then.

arbroath_abroad Jul 27th 2008 12:59 pm

unfortunately the place is beginning to turn the way of a cheap holiday for commoners in the UK. It was better when reserved for the middle-upper classes like myself. I simply detest having to share my bar time with paupers and people who swear and have tatoos.

lionheart Jul 27th 2008 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by admon (Post 6615638)
You obviously read the wrong UK newspapers.

People are generally far better behaved here than the Uk..

and the locals go to pray 5 times a day which makes them almost saintly (ok 'prophety').

The idea of going wild here is a few people having drinks in a bar...

...mmm crazzy man

...or having sex on the beach, but that can happen almost anywhere under the right conditions... the worst things about Dubai IMHO are the traffic congestion and the bureaucracy...the hot summers come third, but that can be avoided. Also, be mindful that almost 80% of the working population are from the Indian sub-continent so don't expect a truly Arabic experience.

MataHari Jul 27th 2008 1:04 pm

good

Meow Jul 27th 2008 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad (Post 6615682)
unfortunately the place is beginning to turn the way of a cheap holiday for commoners in the UK. It was better when reserved for the middle-upper classes like myself. I simply detest having to share my bar time with paupers and people who swear and have tatoos.

You, upper class? But you are Scottish! :rofl: