British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Dubai to go dry? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dubai-go-dry-691224/)

auzdafluff Oct 27th 2010 4:02 pm

Dubai to go dry?

With the death of RAK's ruler, has anyone heard anything definitive about the rumours the UAE will go dry for the next week as part of the seven days of mourning?

Oyibopeppeh Oct 27th 2010 4:08 pm

Re: Dubai to go dry?

Heard on the grapevine that AD will go into ramadammers mode - booze but no music

maximuss Oct 27th 2010 6:53 pm

im sure YOU ALL can survive 7 days without booze and music, if not then you have chosen the wrong place to come and live. Its so selfish when we think about ourselves and others are mourning and suffering especially when they have welcomed you to their home and pay you good tax free money.

soukie Oct 27th 2010 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 8945807)
Heard on the grapevine that AD will go into ramadammers mode - booze but no music

They have got soft - it wasn't so long ago when you couldn't get a drink in AD for the whole of Ramadan.

auzdafluff Oct 27th 2010 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by maximuss (Post 8946045)
im sure YOU ALL can survive 7 days without booze and music, if not then you have chosen the wrong place to come and live. Its so selfish when we think about ourselves and others are mourning and suffering especially when they have welcomed you to their home and pay you good tax free money.

Ah, I should have clarified. It's not that I can't go without alcohol. It's just that I'm supposed to be going on a date this weekend and I had suggested going to a wine bar. Obviously if Dubai is going to go dry, there's not going to be much point in sticking with that plan. ;)

kittycat1 Oct 27th 2010 7:07 pm

Fluffy- spill! :D

the_red_sheep Oct 27th 2010 7:13 pm

Presumably if it's booze but no music the weekends Halloween parties are all going to get canned? And there was me ready to face up to my pathological hatred of going to 'fancy dress' parties.

CeeBee Oct 27th 2010 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by abz_to_dbx (Post 8946071)
Presumably if it's booze but no music the weekends Halloween parties are all going to get canned? And there was me ready to face up to my pathological hatred of going to 'fancy dress' parties.

Yep - most already have according to Gulf News. As has the opening of Ferrari World Thing.

Patsy Stoned Oct 27th 2010 8:21 pm

you are in Saudi, what business is it of yours what we do here in Dubai??
Anyway I was out for dinner tonight and the music is playing and everybody is drinking and having a great time....hey ho darlings!! ;)

glynster Oct 28th 2010 2:17 am

Well I AM gonna be mourning and suffering if I cannot get a beer this weekend, my first full weekend off in 4 months.
No ****** welcomed me here and my salary has **** all to do with you.

In short, WIND YOUR NECK IN MAXIMUSS.

Bijilo123 Oct 28th 2010 4:10 am

Alcoholics will not be able to 'survive' the seven days.

busybee2 Oct 28th 2010 5:01 am

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 8946049)
They have got soft - it wasn't so long ago when you couldn't get a drink in AD for the whole of Ramadan.

or there would be no money in the atm's when there was an eid holiday etc. or the shops would run out of supplies.

Ethos83 Oct 28th 2010 5:03 am

Remember the New Year's eve that got cancelled a few years back to express solidarity with the Palestineans?

lionheart Oct 28th 2010 5:06 am

Isn't that Feline Friends Ball this weekend? Is it still on?

busybee2 Oct 28th 2010 5:07 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8946784)
Isn't that Feline Friends Ball this weekend? Is it still on?

what the sad doggies, if thats the one you are on about i believe its still on starting at 12.