Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai general advice please!!!

Dubai general advice please!!!

Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

jamesdcooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Dubai general advice please!!!

Hi all, i am eager to get moving asap. I have been working in the UK as an estate agent, and am running my own office which is very successful. I also set up and ran the overseas department, promoting properties in 25 countries worldwide including Dubai. I am looking to work for a property sales company in Dubai.. and I am after some help/advice I am a 25 year old Squash fanatic!!

Any companies that should be avoided?
Is it easy to find affordable temporary accommodation to get started i.e flat/house share?
I have heard that some companies will offer subsidised accommodation??
Loads of squash courts??
Anyone working for property company thats looking for more employees?!

p.s on last point.. I have a very good working relationship with overseas property network in the UK that I would be able to push property to, for them to market and generate leads.

Thanks
James
Old Mar 25th 2008, 4:50 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai general advice please!!!

can you not relocate to the office that is in Dubai? that would be ideal if you could. Get a job first. I hear that Better Homes are recruiting. The salaries aren't great and rely on commission. Rent out here is pricey and yes Companies do give you an allowance towards it.

Squash - there was a healthy squash league here and I know the fella in charge so if you do ever get here get in touch and I will give you his information.

Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

thanks for the reply! The company I work for doesnt have an office in Dubai, I basically referred leads through to Damac, so I have tried them already and I am waiting a reply.. as well as a few others..

Good news about the squash so will def get in touch when I arrive! thanks

James
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:24 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
can you not relocate to the office that is in Dubai? that would be ideal if you could. Get a job first. I hear that Better Homes are recruiting. The salaries aren't great and rely on commission. Rent out here is pricey and yes Companies do give you an allowance towards it.

Squash - there was a healthy squash league here and I know the fella in charge so if you do ever get here get in touch and I will give you his information.

you'll be laughing if its commission, our woman showed us around, and that was it, cost us dir 6,000.

Easy money.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:25 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
you'll be laughing if its commission, our woman showed us around, and that was it, cost us dir 6,000.

Easy money.
what...for looking at houses for rent????????????????
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:31 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
what...for looking at houses for rent????????????????
5% deposit and 5% agency commission.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

does anyone here work for a property sales company at the moment??
Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Spugsy
5% deposit and 5% agency commission.
Yep - 5% commission. In my case I did all the chasing, met the guy about 100metres from the place, he took me there and introduced me to the landlord!! Easy!!

Then asked me to hand out his business cards to my friends!

OK - Other agents took me round several places and they got nowhere.

But it is a sellers/renters market out there right now - I heard that in Abu Dhabi some agents will ask you for petrol money when they take you to view.

The landlord used the agent to avoid having to deal with time wasters - not that I was pre-vetted.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesdcooper
Damac,
........Crooks........
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

oh ok can you elaborate?

thanks

James
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10200671.html

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=133487&page=7

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...section=theuae

Read my posts on the property thread a year back and also more recently - this is by far the most crooked company...