Dubai economy?

Old Oct 20th 2019, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai economy?

I was talking to one of my mates who's out in KSA at the moment and he agrees with the above with regards to it being busy but by no means a boom town. From what he sees they are chucking things out left, right and centre for bids but in his opinion the likelihood is that only a small number of them will amount to anything.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 7:55 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I was talking to one of my mates who's out in KSA at the moment and he agrees with the above with regards to it being busy but by no means a boom town. From what he sees they are chucking things out left, right and centre for bids but in his opinion the likelihood is that only a small number of them will amount to anything.
Yes that's what I've seen. Plus the largest contractors in KSA are still releasing staff right now, so it hasn't filtered through. I understand that a certain level of hype has to be created around the projects, and each consultant and PMC etc. that gets signed up starts giving more authenticity and critical mass to the the project actually getting fully invested and built. However like all things Saudi, everything can get pulled at the last moment.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

NewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to behold

I noticed a few of my Western connections (mostly in finance) in LinkedIn from back in the day in Abu Dhabi have moved to Riyadh. Working for the PIF, Neom, Qiddiya, etc.

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
Wow! Lots of interesting perspectives.

I hope things improve in Dubai, it was such a good place to be 2004-2013, though we were very fortunate to stay employed through the messy years.

Singapore was great 2013-2918 but the market is showing signs of stalling.

Maybe Riyadh is the next port! I've been there many times and actually like it. It's a professional environment, and in some respects underrated. I'm not a huge drinker so that makes no difference to me. I'll investigate, and see if anything is happening in the marketing/communication area I work in.
I agree with your regard. When I lived in AUH I went to Riyadh a few times and I didn't find it that different. Naturally they had some of those stupid laws (like women not being allowed to drive) but below that the culture is the same. Reading that Dubai is the Switzerland in the ME and that Riyadh is somehow a shithole is hilarious. Comparing Dubai to Riyadh is probably like comparing London to Manchester. Dubai might be fancier and more international, but it is the same culture after all.

Personally something I like about Riyadh is the weather. I like that dry desert weather compared to the unbearable humid weather in the UAE or anywhere in the Gulf. In winter it even gets chilly so you can live a few months a year without air conditioning 24/7.
Old Oct 27th 2019, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Read this back in August: Bloomberg reporting that work on the Al Maktoum airport was put on hold due to sluggish economy.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...nomies-stumble
Old Oct 27th 2019, 8:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Cagey...
Well, it's about as useful as any other response on here. We're all guessing and repeating stuff from someone else who heard it from the mate of a guy who heard it in the yacht club...
Old Oct 28th 2019, 6:18 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Well, it's about as useful as any other response on here. We're all guessing and repeating stuff from someone else who heard it from the mate of a guy who heard it in the yacht club...
To be fair to me the project funding is exactly how I have described. Most of the project websites actually are clear about how it works, like Amaala for example. https://www.amaala.com/en/about-us/
Nothing wrong with this approach - it's just not as much a sure thing as when the government pours the money directly into the project.
Most of the consultants being described as strategic partners is always something of note - it usually means they are working on a MOU or very early limited contracts and will only be fully engaged when the funding builds up. Again it's a (lower cost) way of establishing the authenticity and trust for investors.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 7:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
To be fair to me the project funding is exactly how I have described. Most of the project websites actually are clear about how it works, like Amaala for example. https://www.amaala.com/en/about-us/
Nothing wrong with this approach - it's just not as much a sure thing as when the government pours the money directly into the project.
Most of the consultants being described as strategic partners is always something of note - it usually means they are working on a MOU or very early limited contracts and will only be fully engaged when the funding builds up. Again it's a (lower cost) way of establishing the authenticity and trust for investors.
Hey it wasn't a dig at you individually. Just the general stuff with KSA at the moment, there's so much going on it's impossible to know where there's sensible progress, pie in the sky or genuine opportunity.
Some consultants have even paid to become 'partners' to things in the region. Misleading to say the least.
Old Oct 29th 2019, 8:32 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Halt All New Home Construction In Dubai Or Face Economic Disaster, Top Builder Warns

Damac Properties share price, oof!
Old Oct 29th 2019, 9:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Emaar's response to this is lol.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

FT is joining in the fun.

https://www.ft.com/content/3d537bae-...vhl6x3wIskrmn8
Old Oct 30th 2019, 6:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Don't pretend to subscribe to the FT.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 10:26 am
Knee deep and rising

Hey it wasn't a dig at you individually. Just the general stuff with KSA at the moment, there's so much going on it's impossible to know where there's sensible progress, pie in the sky or genuine opportunity.
Some consultants have even paid to become 'partners' to things in the region. Misleading to say the least.
Yeah I know, I just thought some factual information should be out there
Old Nov 1st 2019, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Don't pretend to subscribe to the FT.
I don't, but I do to The Telegraph.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 11:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Yeah I know, I just thought some factual information should be out there
I'll let you know what I see when I'm over there soon. Visa being sorted, should be visiting in the next few weeks for a few days.
Old Nov 4th 2019, 8:43 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

I'll let you know what I see when I'm over there soon. Visa being sorted, should be visiting in the next few weeks for a few days.
You don't need a visa anymore. On arrival for Brits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.