British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   DUBAI driving licence (UK paper copy only) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dubai-driving-licence-uk-paper-copy-only-792618/)

Jag21 Apr 2nd 2013 12:23 pm

DUBAI driving licence (UK paper copy only)

Hi - I am moving to Dubai this month and have got my valid 1993 UK paper licence (don't have a photo one). Can anyone confirm that exchanging my paper copy for the UAE driving licence will be ok and I don't have to get a photo UK licence (I'm trying to keep hold of just the paper version)

Thanks

busybee2 Apr 2nd 2013 2:06 pm

Re: DUBAI driving licence (UK paper copy only)

Originally Posted by Jag21 (Post 10636336)
Hi - I am moving to Dubai this month and have got my valid 1993 UK paper licence (don't have a photo one). Can anyone confirm that exchanging my paper copy for the UAE driving licence will be ok and I don't have to get a photo UK licence (I'm trying to keep hold of just the paper version)

Thanks

it should be fine.

Jag21 Apr 2nd 2013 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jag21 (Post 10636336)

Thanks

Thanks for your help

Bahtatboy Apr 2nd 2013 4:38 pm

Did that 4 years ago, no probs.

seven seas Apr 2nd 2013 4:57 pm

Can I just say, in case I'm not actually there when you walk up to the counter at the traffic police and they telly you to get a real licence: mwap mwap mwaaa-aap!

Jag21 Apr 2nd 2013 6:31 pm

Cheers Guys - I was told that I needed to get the UK photo licence and they would not accept the old syle paper copy, but if you've had no problems with that, I will just try it and hopefully can forget about having to apply to get my photo licence.

Thanks

mentalist Apr 3rd 2013 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Jag21 (Post 10636973)
Cheers Guys - I was told that I needed to get the UK photo licence and they would not accept the old syle paper copy, but if you've had no problems with that, I will just try it and hopefully can forget about having to apply to get my photo licence.
Thanks

For goodness sake, get the new style UK driving licence while you have the chance. It will make your life so much easier in the long run. I wish I had one instead of a crumpled piece of illegible paper issued 40 years ago.

Kix Apr 3rd 2013 6:20 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10637533)
For goodness sake, get the new style UK driving licence while you have the chance. It will make your life so much easier in the long run. I wish I had one instead of a crumpled piece of illegible paper issued 40 years ago.

You're showing your age now mental...

Jag21 Apr 3rd 2013 11:05 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10637533)

It's the principle of being subject to fines if you don't update your photo every ten years, whereas with the old licence it's good for many years to come!

busybee2 Apr 3rd 2013 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Jag21 (Post 10637882)
It's the principle of being subject to fines if you don't update your photo every ten years, whereas with the old licence it's good for many years to come!

if you are not resident then you cannot use your uk licence anyways back in the uk on hols, and when you go back to becoming resident again you just inform dvla and they will reissue your licence with no penalty, as you cannot put a foreign address on your uk licence when you dont live there.

MAV_DXB Apr 3rd 2013 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Jag21 (Post 10636973)

Thanks

I used my old style paper one last August - no problems at all.

Welivehere Apr 3rd 2013 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jag21 (Post 10637882)

They can update your d/l photo from your passport application if you give your consent. As long as one of them is less than 10 years old its not a major hassle...

busybee2 Apr 3rd 2013 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 10638052)
They can update your d/l photo from your passport application if you give your consent. As long as one of them is less than 10 years old its not a major hassle...

the passport has to be under 5 years old.

Jag21 Apr 3rd 2013 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB (Post 10637965)
I used my old style paper one last August - no problems at all.

That's great - hopefully no hassles then using the classic version when I arrive.

Cheers for everyones help, it's much appreciated

Beakersful Apr 4th 2013 9:42 pm

Paper driving licenses are being phased out in 2015, so you'd need to get a new one anyhow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20968886