British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Dubai to Doha (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dubai-doha-925657/)

Standanista Jun 11th 2019 6:43 pm

Dubai to Doha

I am very worried about fellow member DXBtoDOH. The police here have no record of him anywhere.

DXBtoDOH Jun 13th 2019 2:23 pm

Re: Dubai to Doha

Moved back to UK. But may be moving again. Rumblings of being sent to the US are occurring at the moment.

Standanista Jun 17th 2019 5:27 pm

Good luck fella. Enjoyed the banter on the Sadd thread.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 17th 2019 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12697611)
Moved back to UK. But may be moving again. Rumblings of being sent to the US are occurring at the moment.

Where in the US?

Millhouse Jun 18th 2019 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12699424)
Where in the US?

And will we be invited to the wedding?

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 19th 2019 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12699515)

And will we be invited to the wedding?

I was going to ask a few more questions before diving in but yes....

DXBtoDOH Jun 26th 2019 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12699424)
Where in the US?

Not determined yet. There are dozens and dozens of offices across the US. The more likely contenders include Boston, Philadelphia, DC and Tampa based on higher concentrations of key staff in my field in those offices. Probably would come down to either Boston or Philadelphia.

I wouldn't mind some place like Los Angeles but beggars can't be choosers.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 27th 2019 5:34 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12703153)
Not determined yet. There are dozens and dozens of offices across the US. The more likely contenders include Boston, Philadelphia, DC and Tampa based on higher concentrations of key staff in my field in those offices. Probably would come down to either Boston or Philadelphia.

I wouldn't mind some place like Los Angeles but beggars can't be choosers.

Boston is meant to be cool. What's Philly like? Tampa would be dull I assume and DC isn't greatly reviewed.

To be fair, I've always fancied the States but turned down the opportunity a few years ago and don't really regret it. Still might happen one day.

Good luck

DXBtoDOH Jun 28th 2019 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12703405)
Boston is meant to be cool. What's Philly like? Tampa would be dull I assume and DC isn't greatly reviewed.

To be fair, I've always fancied the States but turned down the opportunity a few years ago and don't really regret it. Still might happen one day.

Good luck

Tampa has beaches. Very nice beaches. But humid for most of the year and probably too dull for me.

Philadelphia is a large city. Like many American cities it's divided between a nice central business district / historic areas ringed by ghettos. Center City Philadelphia reminds me of Melbourne CBD but it's even bigger. I think I'd enjoy life there greatly. Some people say it's the best urban downtown in the country outside Manhattan and Chicago. The office is in downtown and I'd live downtown too and be able to walk to work and everywhere and not faff around with owning a car at all, which is highly appealing. London lifestyle at 1/10th the cost. Cost of living is also cheaper than Boston in terms of housing. Boston's advantage is perhaps an overall more professional population and easier for expats to become accepted, unlike Philadelphia where everyone apparently still hangs out with the same people they went to school with aged 10. Boston being on the water is something that also appeals to me as Philadelphia is inland, and Boston is in New England and I love coastal New England. But we will see.

fth Jul 16th 2019 6:08 am

Los Angeles is like Doha in terms of huge SUVs ruling the roost and not being able to walk anywhere meaningful.

Watch out for the utter clusterf&@k of the US tax system, especially when combined with state taxes, and your non-US pension schemes (google PFIC).

nonthaburi Jul 16th 2019 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12704054)
Tampa has beaches. Very nice beaches. But humid for most of the year and probably too dull for me.

Philadelphia is a large city. Like many American cities it's divided between a nice central business district / historic areas ringed by ghettos. Center City Philadelphia reminds me of Melbourne CBD but it's even bigger. I think I'd enjoy life there greatly. Some people say it's the best urban downtown in the country outside Manhattan and Chicago. The office is in downtown and I'd live downtown too and be able to walk to work and everywhere and not faff around with owning a car at all, which is highly appealing. London lifestyle at 1/10th the cost. Cost of living is also cheaper than Boston in terms of housing. Boston's advantage is perhaps an overall more professional population and easier for expats to become accepted, unlike Philadelphia where everyone apparently still hangs out with the same people they went to school with aged 10. Boston being on the water is something that also appeals to me as Philadelphia is inland, and Boston is in New England and I love coastal New England. But we will see.

Downtown Philly is fine , but you definitely don't want to be taking a wrong turn in Kensington. The largest open air opiod market in the country.

DXBtoDOH Jul 17th 2019 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12711186)
Downtown Philly is fine , but you definitely don't want to be taking a wrong turn in Kensington. The largest open air opiod market in the country.

Not surprised. I've been spending time reading up on Philadelphia and the other cities. At this point I think I'm going to Boston based on recent development at work.

flares Jul 19th 2019 1:16 pm

https://www.farandwide.com/s/amazing...content=666924

Map 34 - Map of US Opiod Crisis

130 Americans a day!!