Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:18 am
Just Joined

mandarin1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dubai debt skips - INformation Sharing in the GCC

Originally Posted by daexpat
Hello all,

I just wanted to add my 2 cents regarding the information sharing within GCC.

Only the new emirates ID database is shared with all the GCC states. So if you have unpaid debts in the UAE and no Emirates ID, then you are good to go to any of the other GCC states.

I know this for a fact, coz I am the same boat and after verifying it clearly with some of my good local mates in DXB who is working with both the Immig. dept and DXB police, I skipped to Qatar. I had close to 300K AED debt from multiple banks. 150 in loans and rest as ccards. I am not very happy with my actions and I have already spoken to the banks with the loan and have worked out a payment plan through a friend who represented me.

However, I have 2nd thoughts about the credit-cards, as they were insured.
Hi daexpat,

Could you give more info how you sorted it with the banks? I'm in a similar boat, have about 150k in loan and credit card, and have a great offer in Bangkok that I would like to take.

I can clear my loan from my gratuity, but definitely not the cards. I want to continue paying my monthly installments and on top of that, my new job pays much more so I can finish all my payments by April next year! I'm not looking to do a runner or any of sort, in fact want to finish paying as soon as I can.

Having read through many threads here, (and apologies if I am posting this in the wrong thread or rehashing questions), I too would like to do things properly but having spoken with banks today anonymously they have been less than helpful and insisted to get further information to go speak to banks in person . . . not my first choice of action.

I know evickage has posted earlier too regarding getting a job in Qatar and in the same boat as me and was wondering if anyone has an update on that?

Thanks in advance for your advice
Old Feb 24th 2010, 6:07 am
Just Joined

mandarin1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Hi there, is this thread dead and does anyone have any further information?

Thanks,!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 6:35 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Mandarin I'm not trying to duck your question but there really is only one recommendation that can be made.

As you can't pay debts before you leave and you have an offer in Thailand which can fund an early repayment of debt and as you intend to pay off the debt then just go to Thailand and do just that.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandarin1977
Hi there, is this thread dead and does anyone have any further information?

Thanks,!
This thread is like a corpse in one of those zombie horror movies.............

.......... you think it's dead, then suddenly...............
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Dean
This thread is like a corpse in one of those zombie horror movies.............

.......... you think it's dead, then suddenly...............
......I come back and tell everyone I also skipped. No criminal case filed yet. Its been about 10 months. They called me in Australia twice. Never called back. He sent me a text message saying they will file a police case after I didnt pay 3000 odd Dhs a week after they called.

I said this in an email to the bank: "I will pay the money as and when I can afford it, I am making you no promises ".
He replied to the email saying "I never mentioned anything about a police case but if you prefer we can take it up as a legal matter".

Someone is lying or someone isnt talking to someone else because I still have both the SMS and the email. Anyway, nothing ever happened after that. (This communication occured around 3 months ago). I can confirm from a contact in the banks legal department that they are full of shit and have not/will not file a police case against me (according to him anyway).

I also have some debt on a credit card. Not sure about that. HSBC never contacted me about it.

All up I owe less than 100k dhs.

Oh and they tried finding me on facebook by using a sexy looking female profile and sending me messages/adding me to the fake profile. I didnt fall for it.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:00 am
Just Joined

marty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nice

I think the same happened to me I had loads of adds on facebook from people I didnt know ha ha all arabic names with guys who didnt look arab in anyway
Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
......I come back and tell everyone I also skipped. No criminal case filed yet. Its been about 10 months. They called me in Australia twice. Never called back. He sent me a text message saying they will file a police case after I didnt pay 3000 odd Dhs a week after they called.

I said this in an email to the bank: "I will pay the money as and when I can afford it, I am making you no promises ".
He replied to the email saying "I never mentioned anything about a police case but if you prefer we can take it up as a legal matter".

Someone is lying or someone isnt talking to someone else because I still have both the SMS and the email. Anyway, nothing ever happened after that. (This communication occured around 3 months ago). I can confirm from a contact in the banks legal department that they are full of shit and have not/will not file a police case against me (according to him anyway).

I also have some debt on a credit card. Not sure about that. HSBC never contacted me about it.

All up I owe less than 100k dhs.

Oh and they tried finding me on facebook by using a sexy looking female profile and sending me messages/adding me to the fake profile. I didnt fall for it.
I would have done.............
Old Feb 24th 2010, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Many years ago well about 12 years ag o when i was in Al Ain,
One of our muppets did a runner he owed a LOT!!! of money to Standard Chater bank.
I know it took the bank about 3 years to find him and he had to pay all the money back, THEY DID TAKE LEGAL ACTION AGAINST HIM.
I know from a mate in a bank here here in Riyadh most of the big banks do have a department that looks for this type of people.

Now i am not saying that will come after some people.
But hey just be carefull folks ok.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:18 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marty&vonnie
I think the same happened to me I had loads of adds on facebook from people I didnt know ha ha all arabic names with guys who didnt look arab in anyway
Yup I have also had people trying to add me that are blatently from a debt collection agency.

Just to clarifiy earlier posts. I owe a fair amount of cash in Dubai and have not been there for 8 months.

This week I flew through both Abu Dhabi, and Bahrain in transit no Problems.
I also landed in Oman no problems.

Just to clarify a point..I intend to pay off all my debts, and have contacted my banks to tell them this, but to be honest, two of them have not replied, and one of them is being nothing but akward e.g

Me: I want to pay off my complete debt.

Them: Yes, but as there is a police case you must come to our office

Me: OK...Im not in Dubai..I fly to Dubai I will go to jail

Them: We cannot remove police case until you pay in our office

Me: Your not listening, Im not in Dubai, and Im certainly not going to fly there to spend a few weeks in jail.....that not really a big incentive for me.

Them: We can discuss this when you come in the office.

so on and so forth......
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:58 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

you are going to have to get me power of attorney.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

daexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Yup I have also had people trying to add me that are blatently from a debt collection agency.

Just to clarifiy earlier posts. I owe a fair amount of cash in Dubai and have not been there for 8 months.

This week I flew through both Abu Dhabi, and Bahrain in transit no Problems.
I also landed in Oman no problems.

Just to clarify a point..I intend to pay off all my debts, and have contacted my banks to tell them this, but to be honest, two of them have not replied, and one of them is being nothing but akward e.g

Me: I want to pay off my complete debt.

Them: Yes, but as there is a police case you must come to our office

Me: OK...Im not in Dubai..I fly to Dubai I will go to jail

Them: We cannot remove police case until you pay in our office

Me: Your not listening, Im not in Dubai, and Im certainly not going to fly there to spend a few weeks in jail.....that not really a big incentive for me.

Them: We can discuss this when you come in the office.

so on and so forth......
Jammy_Dodgers: This is exactly what I ve been experiencing as well. They guys @ the credit control at all banks just dont get it.

Im now in Doha and I ve started paying off my bankloans in DXB since 2 months through a good friend in DXB. I owe close to 150K AED from 3 banks ... this is the principle amounts.

But when my mate went to the respective banks to draw out a settlement plan the total amount was in excess of 285K. He was furious and he walked out of each of the meetings saying that since I wont be coming to DXB anymore and the fact that they dont know where I am - there is no point in paying 285K. Then the bank guys started calling him daily and he started avoiding them until they were ready to re-negotiate. So now my final settlement is 115K that needs to be paid out in 18 months. Thank God, I have a gem of a mate.

I still have creditcard outstandings ... but I dont know what to do. I ve been advised by some good aquiantances of mine in the financial sector that since the ccard amounts are always insured - they are written off in 2 years. So Im still thinking ....
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by daexpat
Jammy_Dodgers: This is exactly what I ve been experiencing as well. They guys @ the credit control at all banks just dont get it.
I get the impression that they are not very intelligent. From the emails, sms's, phone calls, even the contact I have. They appear to be very average educated Arabic nationalities with no particular skill for what they do.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 4:43 am
Just Joined

mykol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean
I would have done.............

Be careful in accepting FB invites...notices via Facebook and similar social networking sites are now accepted by courts as a way in serving demand letters.

If you are in a run, better deactivate your FB / FS , etc.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mykol
Be careful in accepting FB invites...notices via Facebook and similar social networking sites are now accepted by courts as a way in serving demand letters.

If you are in a run, better deactivate your FB / FS , etc.
Codswallop
Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds a bit fishy to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.