Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:50 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Originally Posted by tatlock
Hi Guys
I was interested to read the info at the link below.

http://www.federalmanagement.co.uk/n...ebt-collectors

I know that it is a webpage from a company trying to sell its services but wondered if there is any truth in what it says about recoevring a debt from someone who returns to the UK.
Would apprecaite any comments you might have.
Cheers
A lot of that looks like scaremongering to me. From the tone of the article, they don't seem to be a decent outfit.
OK, some people did live beyond their means over past years here, but I know at least two people who were ripped off on rentals and ended up in financial strife. Naive, yes, but certainly not trying to intentionally avoid paying their debts. They just didn't want to end up in jail.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:41 am
Just Joined

tatlock is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys.
I have seen quite a few comments that a debt from the UAE cannot be enforced in the UK. The article seems to suggest that a debt sold to a European debt collection agency could be recovered through a European Payment Order. A bit of a contradiction.
A you suggest NorthernLad this could just be scaremongering on the part of this agency.
Cheers
Old Sep 28th 2010, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

rhrhrh is just really nicerhrhrh is just really nicerhrhrh is just really nicerhrhrh is just really nicerhrhrh is just really nicerhrhrh is just really nicerhrhrh is just really nicerhrhrh is just really nice

As one who never considered 'running' from debts i made numerous attempts to negotiate with the worlds leading bank. However after spending the last 9 months in jail courtesy of HSBC my position has changed somewhat
Old Sep 28th 2010, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rhrhrh
As one who never considered 'running' from debts i made numerous attempts to negotiate with the worlds leading bank. However after spending the last 9 months in jail courtesy of HSBC my position has changed somewhat
You are at LOR right?

How did you get out? did you pay? are you still here? so many questions...
Old Sep 28th 2010, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

rhrhrh is just really nicerhrhrh is just really nicerhrhrh is just really nicerhrhrh is just really nicerhrhrh is just really nicerhrhrh is just really nicerhrhrh is just really nicerhrhrh is just really nice

I was, then got another job then got made redundant again, then found job in middle east but outside GCC, like a prat went and told the bank. They said you aint going because we have no recourse there. demanded full payment, made case for 100k more than my actual debt, 1 year sentence. and yes still here
Old Sep 28th 2010, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I was, then got another job then got made redundant again, then found job in middle east but outside GCC, like a prat went and told the bank. They said you aint going because we have no recourse there. demanded full payment, made case for 100k more than my actual debt, 1 year sentence. and yes still here
can you now leave?
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

No, travel ban
Old Oct 4th 2010, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

No, travel ban
Did you get another job in UAE now then?
If only you never told the bank.... 10 months of life down the drain.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 3:15 pm
Banned

aathir is an unknown quantity at this point

There was a few news about chasing UAE debt skippers in thier home land. Today i recieved an email from "Tahseel", a dept collection agency in Dubai, with the following content:

--------------------------------
LEGAL NOTICE
FINAL DEMAND TO BORROWER

On behalf of our client, Emirates Bank, we wish to inform you that you have failed to maintain your repayments & have thus broken the terms of your agreement with the bank. And despite repeated request & reminders, you have failed to settle the amount due. We therefore now demand immediate settlement of your total debts with the bank amounting to AED XX,XXX.YY for you accounts.

Please note as per the banks policy that once a customer has left the U.A.E all amounts outstanding become due immediately. If payment is not received within 2 days from the date hereof, we will initiate legal proceedings against you in your country of residence to recover the outstanding which will result to blacklisting your passport number around the world airports.

Interest and Charges will continue to accrue until repayment in full. Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Looking forward to a speedy reply.

Is it possible to take legal action in a country like India or UK for credit card debt in UAE? Would it result in blacklisting the passport number around the world airports, as they inform?
Old Oct 5th 2010, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aathir
Is it possible to take legal action in a country like India or UK for credit card debt in UAE? Would it result in blacklisting the passport number around the world airports, as they inform?

A civil debt is a civil debt. They are talking bollox.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 6:31 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Absolute crap...

There is no way that they can do that... Lies, therefore you can disregard the letter has a hoax...
Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

but it is not a civil debt in this country, i know for a fact they are selling the debt to collecters in home countries, cant go to jail for it but still ag that you dont need
Old Oct 5th 2010, 10:19 pm
Banned

twisty100 will become famous soon enough

There was a few news about chasing UAE debt skippers in thier home land. Today i recieved an email from "Tahseel", a dept collection agency in Dubai, with the following content:

LEGAL NOTICE
FINAL DEMAND TO BORROWER

On behalf of our client, Emirates Bank, we wish to inform you that you have failed to maintain your repayments & have thus broken the terms of your agreement with the bank. And despite repeated request & reminders, you have failed to settle the amount due. We therefore now demand immediate settlement of your total debts with the bank amounting to AED XX,XXX.YY for you accounts.

Please note as per the banks policy that once a customer has left the U.A.E all amounts outstanding become due immediately. If payment is not received within 2 days from the date hereof, we will initiate legal proceedings against you in your country of residence to recover the outstanding which will result to blacklisting your passport number around the world airports.

Interest and Charges will continue to accrue until repayment in full. Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Looking forward to a speedy reply.

Can you imagine the Dubai government having the ability to blacklist your passport 'around the world'... I can not really see the western world's immigration departments spending time on 'banning' people entry to their country because a Middle Eastern entity says so on the basis of a bounced cheque... Honestly what a load of old tosh, its laughable....
Old Oct 6th 2010, 2:42 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twisty100
Can you imagine the Dubai government having the ability to blacklist your passport 'around the world'... I can not really see the western world's immigration departments spending time on 'banning' people entry to their country because a Middle Eastern entity says so on the basis of a bounced cheque... Honestly what a load of old tosh, its laughable....
I find it quite ironic, considering the financial strife Dubai is in, that these companies make such threats.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:25 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I find it quite ironic, considering the financial strife Dubai is in, that these companies make such threats.
not so much ironic as inevitable. given the lack of regulation and structured business practices i suspect that half these companies are brand new and have been established by the same people who ran shoddy property companies etc.

anything to make a quick buck in between the legal cracks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.