Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

gpiero is just really nicegpiero is just really nicegpiero is just really nicegpiero is just really nicegpiero is just really nicegpiero is just really nicegpiero is just really nicegpiero is just really nice
Default Re: Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
That was a cool story. I believe the exact same thing happened to one of the other members here, however I think he spent a total time of 72 hours locked up over the weekend until the bank would oblige the police with the correct documentation. You will find his anecdote on one of the debt threads I think.
Cool story; uncool experience... Read the other fella's post earlier, unlucky but not altogether surprising.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gpiero
Cool story; uncool experience... Read the other fella's post earlier, unlucky but not altogether surprising.
Were you stressing after you lost your freedom? Were you alone?
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

gpiero is just really nicegpiero is just really nicegpiero is just really nicegpiero is just really nicegpiero is just really nicegpiero is just really nicegpiero is just really nicegpiero is just really nice

Were you stressing after you lost your freedom? Were you alone?
I don't think you read the story carefully enough - I didn't loose my freedom. I was in a holding cell for half an hour at the airport before being taken to the main station in Bur Dubai, where a friend came and left his passport (together with mine) as insurance.

And no, I wasn't stressing because I knew it had all been paid off. Had that have not been the case, I would have been plotting a daring escape with the other inmates... what a daft question.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gpiero
I don't think you read the story carefully enough - I didn't loose my freedom. I was in a holding cell for half an hour at the airport before being taken to the main station in Bur Dubai, where a friend came and left his passport (together with mine) as insurance.

And no, I wasn't stressing because I knew it had all been paid off. Had that have not been the case, I would have been plotting a daring escape with the other inmates... what a daft question.
You lost your freedom, you were in a holding cell and had no permission to leave
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

You lost your freedom, you were in a holding cell and had no permission to leave
You're right... good one.

If you really want to know how it feels, get yourself back over there, I'm sure they'll be only too happy to accommodate you
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

I will try to remember to bring a copy of my Arabic, bank stamped clearance letter first... oh wait, I don't have one yet
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

I will try to remember to bring a copy of my Arabic, bank stamped clearance letter first... oh wait, I don't have one yet
Yeah... well... good luck on that one.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 9:02 am
Just Joined

fabrikaromantika is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shel_82
Contact www.isdmconsultancy.com, they are great. They will negotiate with the bank on your behalf. Right now the banks are happy to get even portion of what is owed, they have reduced my payment by 40% and I don't need to pay any of the accumulated interest.
Good luck!
Hi guys

i'm also in the uk now and hate to admit it but i did skip dubai with 2 cc, an auto loan and a personal loan i think totalling approx Aed 50,000/-

it was 1.5 years ago when i left after living there for almost 4 years.

i plan to pay this amount back - are these debt consultancy companies any good - do they really help . . or shou3d i just approach my banks direct to pay . . .

thanks for reading
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

shel_82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes they help..the banks take absolutely ages getting back though, even with the debt consulting doing the negotation on your behalf. The debt collectors stopped calling me when the negotiations started..I am still waiting (4 months later) for the banks to get back with a final figure to be paid back!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 9:57 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fabrikaromantika
Hi guys

i'm also in the uk now and hate to admit it but i did skip dubai with 2 cc, an auto loan and a personal loan i think totalling approx Aed 50,000/-

it was 1.5 years ago when i left after living there for almost 4 years.

i plan to pay this amount back - are these debt consultancy companies any good - do they really help . . or shou3d i just approach my banks direct to pay . . .

thanks for reading
Let me get this right...

You left here 18 months ago and, only now, are you considering paying back the debt you accummulated over your 4 years of the Dubai lifestyle??

I will gladly put up with the haranguing I am going to get for saying this but...

Its pricks like you that make our life harder. Whether its debt, walking about with **** all on, treating sub-continent workers like shit.. Those of us who are still here have to put up with the shit you caused..

Suck it up, pay the money back with the realisation that you can NEVER come back here... and good riddance..

PS. Were you in Real Estate by any chance?
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

g18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to all

just read the first page of someone being put in Jail by Standard Chartered... what a pack of w****rs!! Summarises the quality customer service of this place and that bank in partciular
Old Sep 17th 2010, 6:33 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE

I will gladly put up with the haranguing I am going to get for saying this but...

Its pricks like you that make our life harder. Whether its debt, walking about with **** all on, treating sub-continent workers like shit.. Those of us who are still here have to put up with the shit you caused..

Suck it up, pay the money back with the realisation that you can NEVER come back here... and good riddance..

PS. Were you in Real Estate by any chance?
not from me, i totally agree
Old Sep 18th 2010, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
not from me, i totally agree
Me also
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

tatlock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys
I was interested to read the info at the link below.

http://www.federalmanagement.co.uk/n...ebt-collectors

I know that it is a webpage from a company trying to sell its services but wondered if there is any truth in what it says about recoevring a debt from someone who returns to the UK.
Would apprecaite any comments you might have.
Cheers
Old Sep 27th 2010, 8:50 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Have heard, third hand, about debt collection agencies going after 'skippers' in Australia and the UK. If this is true, then that's good.

I can agree that not all skippers are guilty of living beyond their means (many are victims of fraud or non-payment for services rendered) but those who have racked up debt simply to enjoy a lifestyle they can't afford should be made to pay, wherever they are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.