Dubai Debt

Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Debt

Originally Posted by minuteman
hi guys,
there is a company in the U.K. called Oriel, that act on behalf of the banks in the U.A.E. to collect on any debts that were obtained before absconding from the emirates, i too am in this position, and have sought legal expertise from various organisations including the office of fair trading who have set guidelines concerning debt recovery,
the fact of the matter is such, that since the Emirates have not signed a reciprocal agreement with the U.K. the debts cannot be registered in either Scotland, England, Wales or Northern Ireland, since they cannot be registered they cannot be enforced, on the advice from the O.F.T. when Oriel called back they were told these facts and that i was in no position to pay (even if i was legally obliged to do so) and that any effort to collect this debt would be an exercise in futility, they have since handed the Debt back to N.B.D. and closed the case, N.B.D. However have a collection Agency in Dubai, who just make phone calls once in a while, which i find is convenient to find out how the weather is.
That's as bad as a busybee post!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:21 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

In response to the smug post from minuteman, perhaps one day soon a reciprocal agreement will be signed. Who knows? Meanwhile I personally think it's shameful that people can allow themselves to accummulate debts which they cannot replay. Surely if the debts are owed to a multinational bank with a UK branch network, something can be done to recover such debts or at least continue the loan repayments, especially if the defaulter finds gainful employment back home.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

minuteman is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah yeah yeah,
if a reciprocal agreement is signed in the future, it will have no effect on debts defaulted before is has been signed,
in response to the stpiud comment prior to this one,
my oroginal comment was laid out to ease ex pats who have returned and found themselves in this position, as you will find if you read again, it in no way promotes defaulting on any loan agreement taken out with any bank,
no one is looking for your opinion here, just facts, eg
if i write that you are a prick i will probably be barred from this site, however if i THINK that you are a prick i will not, so therefore i think you are a prick
Old Jan 28th 2010, 3:22 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
people living above their means, flash cars etc
Indeed...the majority of people I know with debts stacked them up with personal loans and credit cards and have nothing to show for it except photos of their various holidays, a nice care and drinking expeditions to the most expensive bars in the country.

The banks certainly didn't help offering so much credit without collateral but ultimately people who cannot live within their means have to accept responsibilty.

N.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

my oroginal comment was laid out to ease ex pats.....
If you were refering to my comment.....I wasn't having a go at the content of your message....I was having at go a the fact you type like busybee2. Heard of full stops? sentences? paragraphs.

Was the comma on sale recently somewhere?
Old Jan 28th 2010, 8:49 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

if i write that you are a prick i will probably be barred from this site,

No you wont!
Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:45 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Indeed...the majority of people I know with debts stacked them up with personal loans and credit cards and have nothing to show for it except photos of their various holidays, a nice care and drinking expeditions to the most expensive bars in the country.

The banks certainly didn't help offering so much credit without collateral but ultimately people who cannot live within their means have to accept responsibilty.

N.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:20 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

yeah yeah yeah,
if a reciprocal agreement is signed in the future, it will have no effect on debts defaulted before is has been signed,
my oroginal comment was laid out to ease ex pats who have returned and found themselves in this position, as you will find if you read again, it in no way promotes defaulting on any loan agreement taken out with any bank,
no one is looking for your opinion here, just facts, eg
if i write that you are a prick i will probably be barred from this site, however if i THINK that you are a prick i will not, so therefore i think you are a prick
not to derail the thread per se... but your choice of username.... ?

punk legends http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Minutemen_%28band%29

or militia men?

I, for one, vote punk...

RIP D.Boon.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
not to derail the thread per se... but your choice of username.... ?

punk legends http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Minutemen_%28band%29

or militia men?

I, for one, vote punk...

http://wpservices.net/MDT150-Noteboo...es/mmen84f.jpg

RIP D.Boon.
Speaking of American Punk Legends - did you know that Jello Biafra ran for President in the last campaign!!!????
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 6:55 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Speaking of American Punk Legends - did you know that Jello Biafra ran for President in the last campaign!!!????
Good grief....

Can still remember bouncing round a flat in Beckenham early 90's, stoned outta my face, listening to 'Drug Raid At 4am'.....

Happy Days...
Old Mar 25th 2010, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

leighsky is an unknown quantity at this point

This has been helpful as I am disputing an amount owed to CitiBank in Dubai who have now passed my details to Oriel.....I have advised them of the facts and that I do not want to go in with them on a greatly reduced settlement (for the main reason being I have paid the full & final debt as far as I am concerned).................anyway,they are now advising/threatening that as I do not want to pursue this with them they will send a ''doorstop debt collection agent'' around to explain my options.................firstly I do not want them coming to my sisters house and I resent the threatening manner in which they are trying to ''arrange'' this as well as the fact that the only person here most of the time is my 91 year old Gran (I am in and out of hospital having medica treatment which is why I left the sandpit) and a doorstop collector would bewilder and terrify her..................do I have any recourse against such a visit ??? Can it be construed as harrassment ???
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leighsky
This has been helpful as I am disputing an amount owed to CitiBank in Dubai who have now passed my details to Oriel.....I have advised them of the facts and that I do not want to go in with them on a greatly reduced settlement (for the main reason being I have paid the full & final debt as far as I am concerned).................anyway,they are now advising/threatening that as I do not want to pursue this with them they will send a ''doorstop debt collection agent'' around to explain my options.................firstly I do not want them coming to my sisters house and I resent the threatening manner in which they are trying to ''arrange'' this as well as the fact that the only person here most of the time is my 91 year old Gran (I am in and out of hospital having medica treatment which is why I left the sandpit) and a doorstop collector would bewilder and terrify her..................do I have any recourse against such a visit ??? Can it be construed as harrassment ???
Hi,
Hope you're feeling better now (we'd exchanged emails a long time ago). Did you get any letter from Citi after you paid your debts?

Think minuteman has already confirmed (from OFT) that UAE debts cannot be registered and hence cannot be enforced in the UK. You could consider filing a police complaint against Oriel for harassment?

Take care
Old Mar 26th 2010, 9:17 am
Just Joined

leighsky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IndieG
Hi,
Hope you're feeling better now (we'd exchanged emails a long time ago). Did you get any letter from Citi after you paid your debts?

Think minuteman has already confirmed (from OFT) that UAE debts cannot be registered and hence cannot be enforced in the UK. You could consider filing a police complaint against Oriel for harassment?

Take care
Thanks IndieG, nothing from Citi but I sent a few harsh emails to Oriel and was advised legally they cannot send anyone around unless I agree to a time and day which I refused and also advised them this was tantamount to harassment and I would take the matter up further with the police and other relevant bodies including the OFT................told them I did not need a visit from a doorsteo collections agent (have you ever heard of such a thing), Father Xmas or anyone to tell me what my options were.

Am getting better thanks, very slow and boring but manageable and am glad I have got in touch with this website as it's incredibly helpful.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all

Citi made a balls of closing my credit card (fully paid off at the time) when i left the country - they said that because they couldn't get through to me on the phone (er, left the country..) they did not action my signed (and stamped by them) closure form. Because they did not cancel the card, a couple of transactions sneaked onto the card, and then bult up nearly a thousand Dhs of charges.
First i heard of this was an emailed debt warning. ****** idiots. They then told me to pop into citi bank in London (i'm in Dublin) to pay it off - just to humour them i rang London and was laughed at by the people in Citi London.
I'd kept a copy of the closure confirmation, luckily so all charges waived eventually.
Was my last experience of UAE banks and renewed my faith in my decision to leave!
Best of luck,
CH
Old Mar 28th 2010, 12:03 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leighsky
Thanks IndieG, nothing from Citi but I sent a few harsh emails to Oriel and was advised legally they cannot send anyone around unless I agree to a time and day which I refused and also advised them this was tantamount to harassment and I would take the matter up further with the police and other relevant bodies including the OFT................told them I did not need a visit from a doorsteo collections agent (have you ever heard of such a thing), Father Xmas or anyone to tell me what my options were.

Am getting better thanks, very slow and boring but manageable and am glad I have got in touch with this website as it's incredibly helpful.
Yep, in fact I used to be one........

Aye, them were the days.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.