Dubai Debt

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:02 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dubai Debt

Hey Guys,

Heard a rumor from a friend of a friend of a friend that Dubai is selling its consumer debt to foreign debt collection agencies.

Now, firstly is this true?
If this is true, and the bank sells the debt to a debt agency, does that mean they have to close the police file against you (i.e. if the debt is sold to a third party, the bank no longer has a claim on the debt, therefore the police file should therefore be non-enforceable)

Anyone know the facts?? (indie girl?)
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:09 am
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dubai Debt

I have heard rumours about this as well. A friend of a friend returned to Australia leaving a pile of debt behind and apparently the bank sold the debt to a debt collecting agency in Australia, the individual then received a nice visit from some rather large and intimidating men seeking payment. I have no idea what this means in terms of the Dubai police file though.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:11 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes
I have heard rumours about this as well. A friend of a friend returned to Australia leaving a pile of debt behind and apparently the bank sold the debt to a debt collecting agency in Australia, the individual then received a nice visit from some rather large and intimidating men seeking payment. I have no idea what this means in terms of the Dubai police file though.
This is the point.....the bank sells the Debt, therefore the bank no longer owns the debt. Therefore you would think that the police file should no longer be enforcable regardless of if you pay the agency in Oz or not
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:13 am
Up in the air

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes
Also, it would not be the first time that stories like this (originating from banks) are released as a scare tactic to reduce debt exodus
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:17 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Good question. I'm not sure that selling the debt would clear the criminal case. As I understand it, the offence is classed as fraud and whether the debt is sold or not, I guess it's down to the bank dropping the charges and the police accepting that. Can't imagine the police would have an interest in pursuing the charges but the bank might to recoup any losses.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Replied to your pm.

Banks have always being doing it (using debt collection agencies - but NOT selling the debt, they basically pay the agency up to 50-60% of the recovered amount), nothing new.

The bank can do **** all in Dubai if you're back in the UK. Change your address, telephone numbers and tell your relatives (if you've provided their contact details in the overseas address section of your loan application) not to disclose your whereabouts in the UK to anyone so that the debt collectors (if any) won't bother/embarrass you (at home or at your new workplace).
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:43 am
Up in the air

Originally Posted by IndieG
Replied to your pm.

Banks have always being doing it (using debt collection agencies - but NOT selling the debt, they basically pay the agency up to 50-60% of the recovered amount), nothing new.

The bank can do **** all in Dubai if you're back in the UK. Change your address, telephone numbers and tell your relatives (if you've provided their contact details in the overseas address section of your loan application) not to disclose your whereabouts in the UK to anyone so that the debt collectors (if any) won't bother/embarrass you (at home or at your new workplace).
Many thanks for your PM!

Another question.
Surely if a bank sells your details to a third party, that it breaches banking regulations? specifically as Dubai is classed as off-shore there are regulations regarding providing customer records/details cross border/abroad?

I was under the impression that banks cannot give or store customer records or details anywhere except in-country
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:46 am
Up in the air

Replied to your pm.

If they do not SELL the debt then surely this is a good thing in some respects:

If the bank retains ownership of the debt in Dubai, regardless of the country or agency it uses, as the debt is still in Dubai, they cannot register the debt in your country of origin (consumer debt not being a crime in most civilised countries)
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Many thanks for your PM!

Another question.
Surely if a bank sells your details to a third party, that it breaches banking regulations? specifically as Dubai is classed as off-shore there are regulations regarding providing customer records/details cross border/abroad?

I was under the impression that banks cannot give or store customer records or details anywhere except in-country
I think there is a section in your loan agreement where you agree to the bank disclosing your details to any third parties to assist in assessing your credit/recovery of debt etc...even if it isn't mentioned, banking rule & regulations are so weak in the UAE that they can get away with anything...
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 10:06 am
Up in the air

I think there is a section in your loan agreement where you agree to the bank disclosing your details to any third parties to assist in assessing your credit/recovery of debt etc...even if it isn't mentioned, banking rule & regulations are so weak in the UAE that they can get away with anything...
Even so, although UAE based banks exchange information due to their involvement the AML/BSA accord (Anti Money Laundering/Bank Secrecy Act) they must also be breaching some sort of international regulation by divulging customer information. (typically this can only be done in cases of Terrorism, Drugs or Tax Evasion only)
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:26 am
Just Joined

nogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the rough

Foreign Debt can not be enforced through the English civil courts as the place the contract was agreed in falls out side of their jurisdiction.
The worse they can do is ask nicely for the money and if you do not want to give them it or do not have it there is NOTHING they can do. Your credit rating will NOT be affected by this and they can NOT get a CCJ against you.
Please do not believe the lies and misinformation that people peddle including the debt collection companies.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 10:55 am
Just Joined

toughinthegulf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nogoingback
Foreign Debt can not be enforced through the English civil courts as the place the contract was agreed in falls out side of their jurisdiction.
The worse they can do is ask nicely for the money and if you do not want to give them it or do not have it there is NOTHING they can do. Your credit rating will NOT be affected by this and they can NOT get a CCJ against you.
Please do not believe the lies and misinformation that people peddle including the debt collection companies.
Hi all, i am jumping in on this thread late but its topical for me as I left Dubai with a fair amount of debt in 2008. Its been just over a year since i did that and a family member just received a letter from a dubai firm of debt collectors (the address in home country). I am keen to understand what if anything they can do. I saw the answer stating that they cannot enforce a CCJ due to the debt being foreign etc - does anyone have any experience of this at all? If not, i may be the threads Guinea Pig on this subject!

The funny thing about my situation is that the letter states "its recently come to our attention that you have left Dubai and do not intend to return". My visa was cancelled ages ago, shortly after i left so either the system is backed up or, they have worked their way down to the smaller debts like mine.

Also, i have been back to Dubai a load of times since leaving - i did change my passport but agree thats not the reason i managed to get back in. I just think their systems are so behind its a joke. May not try it again now even though i need to.

Any thoughts anyone?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:03 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nogoingback
Interesting, very interesting...
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

toughinthegulf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Interesting, very interesting...
hi littlejimmy, whats so interesting - do tell?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 1:09 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toughinthegulf
hi littlejimmy, whats so interesting - do tell?
See PM. You may need to post a few more times to enable the PM facility.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.