Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Country Club - possible closure

Dubai Country Club - possible closure

Old Jul 30th 2007, 1:00 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Country Club - possible closure

just been on facebook and there is a save Dubai Country Club group! sign up everyone!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 1:08 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
just been on facebook and there is a save Dubai Country Club group! sign up everyone!
Are you seriously going to argue this issue further. Its over, done. It was over the second that the owners of everything in dubai (ruling family) decided it was over.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 1:18 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TA5
Are you seriously going to argue this issue further. Its over, done. It was over the second that the owners of everything in dubai (ruling family) decided it was over.
yes I am going to argue it, yes we will probably lose the current club but we were offered compensation which has been declined now.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
Only because there's so little regulation here and hence you're able to screw people in ways that would be illegal in developed countries.
Precisely! I'm sure most labourers would happily return to India once they've worked in the UAE for a month or two, if their passports were not held back.

Recent article in the Gulf News:

Indian amnesty seekers gave a lukewarm response to job offers with only about 60 ready to work here out of the 3,000 applicants waiting to go home, said embassy officials.

"One single company alone was offering 685 jobs," one official said. "Several employers had approached the Indian Embassy asking for skilled workers such as electricians, plumbers, welders, carpenters and masons," he said.

The lack of interest in working here is because of the severe hardships the illegal workers had undergone.

"Most of them do not want to come back", said a senior official at the embassy. "They say they will earn only about Rupees 4,000 to 5,000 (between Dh 365 to Dh 460 per month) at any job here, which they can easily earn back home."

More here...
http://www.gulf-news.com/nation/Empl.../10142318.html
Old Jul 30th 2007, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rog_Rams
That's why it's called a "developing" country! Take the money, enjoy your lifestyle, but don't ever make the mistake of thinking you "belong".
HERE HERE FRICKING HERE

people who have been here for years fall into this trap. This is not your home country, given half a chance the locals would have you out of here in a flash

remember that!!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
[SIZE="7"]people who have been here for years fall into this trap.
12 years and have never ever been under this illusion......
Old Jul 30th 2007, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
12 years and have never ever been under this illusion......
Your obviously in touch with reality then
Old Jul 30th 2007, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
So everything I said which was 'not the most constructive or intelligent post I've made' is 100% true?
OK OK calm down calm down.......... I predict the MINIMUM that will happen will be:

Emirates will be granted a parcel of land which they will, in effect, "own". On it they will build a PERMANENT home for the Exiles - this will not simply be like a municipal council football pitch back home ("If you've finished your match, get lost - there's another game on in a minute."), but a PROPER CLUB, with clubhouse, facilities, etc, with an Exiles 'identity'.

The Emirates link with sport is now so inextricable that they won't do anything that could be seen as restrictive or backward for sport in their own neck of the woods.

They (Emirates) had to agree to this - and did so, in writing - as part of the submission by the AGRFU to host the World Sevens in 2009. This land will never be "owned" by the Exiles, but will be as good as theirs.

That's the minimum.............. but I know there are high level moves afoot that may yet result in something the Exiles can genuinely call their own......

The Country Club is another matter altogether. Emirates won't feel any loyalty to them like they do to rugby and all that goes with it. Not optimistic but I'll join your fight in any way I can....... good luck.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Patsy 6 months ago they offered us a new plot of land, with a new build like for like offer. We had plans drawn up for a new club. I even went to see the new piece of land. Then last week they changed their minds and have given us NOTHING!!! you know me and I wanted to go full steam ahead to all the press etc in December, the management said there was no need as we were going to be given a brand new club with all mod cons everyone was happy then a sudden change of mind .

There are over 700 families who are members up there, and it isn't just to do with them, there is more to it than that. The Dubai Mens Open Golf Tournament - 30 years it has been held there, it is the official Dubai Men's Open, Emirates tried to nab it years ago and didn't get it - hence the Classic was invented. Why destroy history and memories.

I know we are fighting a loosing battle but I got to try. Will be contacting the media soon.

W10 you are sooo right.
Does the country club currently turn a profit? Does it have any capital? I would have thought that if a case can be made for it to run as a successful, self funded enterprise then there is no reason why it should not compete with the other clubs etc that exist in the UAE. I'm sure that when it was originally set up, it was in the government's interest to set up and subsidize a special social club for expat workers to make life more palletable for the people they were trying to attract, but now times have changed. If the Country Club has unique selling points that mean that people would preferentially join it to other clubs, then why not raise finance to build a new club whilst maintaining the "branding" of the old club?
Old Jul 30th 2007, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
If the Country Club has unique selling points that mean that people would preferentially join it to other clubs
well it does do fabulous bacon butties...

oh yeah, and it's waaaay cheaper than anywhere else...

MM, xx
Old Jul 30th 2007, 3:02 pm
W10

Originally Posted by The Dean
OK OK calm down calm down.......... I predict the MINIMUM that will happen will be:

Emirates will be granted a parcel of land which they will, in effect, "own". On it they will build a PERMANENT home for the Exiles - this will not simply be like a municipal council football pitch back home ("If you've finished your match, get lost - there's another game on in a minute."), but a PROPER CLUB, with clubhouse, facilities, etc, with an Exiles 'identity'.

This has already happened. Emirates has been given the land earmarked for the DCC and Exiles and Darjeeling Cricket Club and is going to run a club for its employees with access granted to the existing clubs.

You think the UAE cares about grass roots sport? No, it cares about big time sponsorship...grass roots sport is dying here and has been killed off for the past 18 months. They didn't even want to fund Asian Games squads unless they had a chance of success. As it turns out, the guy who won their only gold was the guy who'd been treated like crap by his employer and got no sponsorship...go and ask the only Olympic gold medal winner in UAE history how much funding his sport is getting...or the UAE cricket team and leagues.

If its high profile and making headlines, Emirates will be in there...

Last edited by W10; Jul 30th 2007 at 3:04 pm.

Old Jul 30th 2007, 3:10 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Does the country club currently turn a profit? Does it have any capital? I would have thought that if a case can be made for it to run as a successful, self funded enterprise then there is no reason why it should not compete with the other clubs etc that exist in the UAE. I'm sure that when it was originally set up, it was in the government's interest to set up and subsidize a special social club for expat workers to make life more palletable for the people they were trying to attract, but now times have changed. If the Country Club has unique selling points that mean that people would preferentially join it to other clubs, then why not raise finance to build a new club whilst maintaining the "branding" of the old club?
I can see where your coming from but why should we have to raise finance to buy land and build another club when we have a perfectly good one now!! the land was gifted to us from Sheik Rashid, now they want it back. We are entitled to compensation.

The only reason that Emirates are being nice to the Rugby club and use the term nice very loosely is that they want the Rugby 7's and the sponsorship deals that are attached with it. The Rugby 7's if I remember rightly is no longer organised by the Exiles, merely held there. Promoseven are the organisers, maybe the Dean will know more and he seems to know more about rugby matters than I do.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 3:15 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by The Dean

Emirates will be granted a parcel of land

They have had to pay for the land, it hasn't been granted.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

I can see where your coming from but why should we have to raise finance to buy land and build another club when we have a perfectly good one now!! the land was gifted to us from Sheik Rashid, now they want it back. We are entitled to compensation.

The only reason that Emirates are being nice to the Rugby club and use the term nice very loosely is that they want the Rugby 7's and the sponsorship deals that are attached with it. The Rugby 7's if I remember rightly is no longer organised by the Exiles, merely held there. Promoseven are the organisers, maybe the Dean will know more and he seems to know more about rugby matters than I do.
Have you had a lawyer look at this? What is the status of the country club - is it a registered company in the UAE, or in some other sense a recognised legal entity? You may be able to construct a legal argument based upon the civil code - even with an arguable case the hassle & bad press of a legal battle could strengthen your negotiating position.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 5:18 pm
Concierge

I am pretty sure that our lawyer will have looked into these options, but at the end of the day we are fighting a pretty big cheese! I will look into this though, it would be costly though and with no guarantees. As we are now if we do close by the end of the year we can clear our debts, all gratuities and walk away scot free. But without our club!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.