British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Dubai Car Sale Question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dubai-car-sale-question-759110/)

Jackwow May 22nd 2012 8:40 am

Dubai Car Sale Question

I'm leaving Dubai next month and hoping to sell my car next week.

The current registration expires 6 July and the insurance 6 August.

When you sell a car I assume that the car has to tested and registered in the new owners name with a new insurance policy, i.e., not as someone has suggested I only have to transfer ownership to the buyer and then they re-register when the original registration expires, i.e., 6 July.

Not sure if that makes sense but any advice would be appreciated.

RedRoar75 May 22nd 2012 9:43 am

Re: Dubai Car Sale Question

Originally Posted by Jackwow (Post 10075223)

When you sell a car I assume that the car has to tested and registered in the new owners name with a new insurance policy, i.e., not as someone has suggested I only have to transfer ownership to the buyer and then they re-register when the original registration expires, i.e., 6 July.

I think you're right... When I've bought and sold, that''s the the way it's worked.

Millsyisland May 22nd 2012 10:22 am

Yep, that's the case in Abu Dhabi and I'm sure it will be similar in Dubai. The transfer would have to be along the same lines as a new registration, you cannot transfer what is left to a new owner.

Jackwow May 22nd 2012 10:35 am

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

rowell May 22nd 2012 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jackwow (Post 10075223)

You go to test centre, make sure you tell them when you go through security barrier it is for change of ownership, pull upto the test area and give them the slip you collected at the security gate. gi o inside and fill in the form for change of ownership and wait for your test results. The buyer will need his original passport with visa and also a copy of passport and visa and his ID. You will only need your ID. You then go to desk when called pay any fines and they will do the transfer.

if you are selling to someone in Sharja they will not test the car unless the buyer wants a comprehensive test doing. If no comprehensive test then they will just check the chasis no. you would also need to remove the no plates. You then go inside also fill in paper work and he would ned to get the car taken to Sharja by car transporter and do the registration there. Its as if Sharja is another country.

Jackwow May 22nd 2012 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 10075574)
You go to test centre, make sure you tell them when you go through security barrier it is for change of ownership, pull upto the test area and give them the slip you collected at the security gate. gi o inside and fill in the form for change of ownership and wait for your test results. The buyer will need his original passport with visa and also a copy of passport and visa and his ID. You will only need your ID. You then go to desk when called pay any fines and they will do the transfer.

Thanks Rowell. Presumably the buyer will also need a new insurance policy?

busybee2 May 23rd 2012 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Jackwow (Post 10075685)
Thanks Rowell. Presumably the buyer will also need a new insurance policy?

yes of course they will it wont be registered otherwise (if private buyer) different if dealer etc.

Jackwow May 23rd 2012 8:29 am

Sold the car last night.

Met buyer at Al Barsha this morning.

Paid for the express service.

Car passed test.

Started change of ownership process.

Stopped change of ownership process!

They needed a letter from Mashreq bank confirming I'd paid off the car loan. I paid it off years ago and don't even have an account with Mashreq anymore!

Went to Mashreq. Letter will take 1 to 2 working days. Could have been worse I suppose.

PS What do you do about Salik tag, do you just whip it off?

Oyibopeppeh May 23rd 2012 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Jackwow (Post 10077168)

You can try....but you may damage the chip

Better to call Salik, give them the number of the tag and tell them it's no longer associated with your account

Bluelionesse May 23rd 2012 8:55 am

Sold the car last night.

Car passed test.

They needed a letter from Mashreq bank confirming I'd paid off the car loan. I paid it off years ago and don't even have an account with Mashreq anymore!

Went to Mashreq. Letter will take 1 to 2 working days. Could have been worse I suppose.

Hope you get the letter on time - it took us weeks when we sold our old car to a car dealer (and our finance company was Mashreq too).

Whenever you pay off your car, get a letter from the bank, present it next time you register the car, and the "mortgage" info will be taken off the registration card. AD will charge you 100aed for doing this!

RedRoar75 May 23rd 2012 12:18 pm

Sold the car last night.

Car passed test.

Yes, whip it off - doesn't matter if it's damaged, you have no further need of it (and they just need to note the number, not read the chip). There's a desk at the Al Barsha counter where you can hand it in (not the end of the world if you don't - I've lost mine in the car park there before.. just means it will stay associated to your account. Mine was so damaged when I took it off, it was unusable anyway). Basically, it disassociates that tag number from your account. If you have more than 1 car, the money stays in the account, rather than the tag (if that makes sense). If you only had the 1 car (and not getting another), then unfortunately any remaining money is gone/useless.

Wouldn't leave it on the car, as the buyer could then keep hitting the salik gates and the tag is registered to you (although the car isn't).. in a perfect world, it'd mean the guy was fined not you.... here? no idea - just take it off and save yourself the worry. It's up to the buyer to get a new tag and register it there and then (easily done, they sell tags in the petrol station at Al Barsha testing).

busybee2 May 23rd 2012 12:22 pm

Sold the car last night.

Car passed test.

as i said before you could wait upto 5 days for the letter.

salik take it off and then you have to send photo id and pin number account number tag number etc email to salik

busybee2 May 23rd 2012 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 10077176)
You can try....but you may damage the chip

Better to call Salik, give them the number of the tag and tell them it's no longer associated with your account

no you must take it off you cannot reuse the tag anyways...... otherwise you will be liable for any fines etc.

Jackwow May 23rd 2012 12:33 pm

Thanks again guys. No worries about any Salik fines as I'll be long gone. :)