Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai car number plates

Dubai car number plates

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

zaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the rough
Default Dubai car number plates

Hello All - What is the relevance of the starting letter of the car plates in Dubai? Whilst looking at cars, people who sell their car with an "A" plate mention it as if it is important and should be noted...is it?

cheers
Z
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 2:44 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai car number plates

Originally Posted by zaaboot
Hello All - What is the relevance of the starting letter of the car plates in Dubai? Whilst looking at cars, people who sell their car with an "A" plate mention it as if it is important and should be noted...is it?

cheers
Z
no it shouldn't be noted. The letter prefix roughly relates to the year that the car was manufactured, however if a car is scrapped the number is thrown back into the system. At the moment cars are being registered on an L plate, ( I think, don't pay that much attention). I have a brand new one which however is on a K plate. I think people assume the A plate is more important as it is the beginning of the alphabet. Different when it comes to 4 number plates.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 3:43 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I think people assume the A plate is more important as it is the beginning of the alphabet.
That just about sums up Dubai for you.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

zaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lionheart
That just about sums up Dubai for you.
ha ha - thanks, I assumed it could be something as simple as lack of logic

Cheers
Z
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

in dxb it doesnt make any difference with regard to the letters. although in ad it does. the old number plates were red, and most of the locals prefer these, the lower the number plate the more important the person too!
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
in dxb it doesnt make any difference with regard to the letters. although in ad it does. the old number plates were red, and most of the locals prefer these, the lower the number plate the more important the person too!
There are no letters on AD plates...? I had a red one and a blue one. No letters.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Buzzer - that isn't you posting is it?

I just spotted five separate instances of punctuation. Ok, all, but two, were in the wrong place (or the wrong type) but hey! who cares? It clearly shows you have found them on the keyboard!
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
There are no letters on AD plates...? I had a red one and a blue one. No letters.
i didnt mean letters on ad plates, there are colours. the first one issued were red and then there are green which come from al ain and then there are also grey and blue. then they brought in the new plates which started with a red 5 and then a red 6 and then a red 10, now why did they miss out 7 8 and 9 etc, because they were going to reissue all old number plates with new ones, and then the blue one would have been the red 7 and so on but they havent done that as yet hence why they started at 5!. there were also plates in dxb with the burj hotel on them, and then they decided that they were all illegal, and you had no choice but to change them to ones with letters on. there endeth the history lesson.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

where did i say that in ad they had letters i didnt did i?????? i said COLOURS!
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

where did i say that in ad they had letters i didnt did i?????? i said COLOURS!
here maybe? the importance of grammar...
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

i didnt mean letters on ad plates, there are colours. the first one issued were red and then there are green which come from al ain and then there are also grey and blue. then they brought in the new plates which started with a red 5 and then a red 6 and then a red 10, now why did they miss out 7 8 and 9 etc, because they were going to reissue all old number plates with new ones, and then the blue one would have been the red 7 and so on but they havent done that as yet hence why they started at 5!. there were also plates in dxb with the burj hotel on them, and then they decided that they were all illegal, and you had no choice but to change them to ones with letters on. there endeth the history lesson.

Nice one - thanks for that
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:07 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

nope they ran out of numbers, nothing to do with them being illegal, there were too many cars on the road so they ditched the Burj logo
Old Jan 4th 2011, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

here maybe? the importance of grammar...
maybe but i did actually put in a full stop. which makes a change!!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
nope they ran out of numbers, nothing to do with them being illegal, there were too many cars on the road so they ditched the Burj logo
no i heard different that they had the burj one and the older number plates but decided that anyone with a burj one had to go and get it changed.