Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai British School

Dubai British School

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

axlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant future
Default Dubai British School

Hi everyone, hope your all suitably recharged after the xmas break, advice on areas my partner needs to look at for housing, hoping to get my son in Dubai British School for new Sept term 2008, partner will be working near to Emirates Towers, looking at 2 bed hopefully plus maids and pref apt due to cost of villas rental and Utilities in summer especially. Looked at Bhomes and Dubizzle are there any others for long term rental we should look at, he is coming 15th Feb
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai British School

Originally Posted by axlenoyl
Hi everyone, hope your all suitably recharged after the xmas break, advice on areas my partner needs to look at for housing, hoping to get my son in Dubai British School for new Sept term 2008, partner will be working near to Emirates Towers, looking at 2 bed hopefully plus maids and pref apt due to cost of villas rental and Utilities in summer especially. Looked at Bhomes and Dubizzle are there any others for long term rental we should look at, he is coming 15th Feb
you can also have a look in expatriates.com and gulfnews.com.

as for areas you can go for Bur Dubai (Golden Sands) or Satwa if you want to live in an area which is a little crowded but has lots of little shops and cheap restaurants. Not many Europeans in those areas though.

You can look at SZR apartments or Old Town which are very close to Emirates but a bit pricey.

Or out towards the Mall of the Emirates and Dubai Marina.
Barsha is good value but a big building site. Very handy for the mall.
The Greens looks nice and would probably be good for someone with kid.
Then there would also be the Marina or JBR.

max commute would be 30 minutes each way
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

axlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant future

Thanks for that, wasn't really wanting to buy a car straight away, but cant find any reference to school buses on the Dubai British School website, does anyone know if ther is one, easier for son to commute than myself or partnert! I will have a look at the map and areas you metion much appreciated.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, wasn't really wanting to buy a car straight away, but cant find any reference to school buses on the Dubai British School website, does anyone know if ther is one, easier for son to commute than myself or partnert! I will have a look at the map and areas you metion much appreciated.
Just checked where the school is located!
You'd probably be better off with Barsha/Tecom/Greens/Marina or JBR.

oh and you can lease a car so no worries about not buying one!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Just checked where the school is located!
You'd probably be better off with Barsha/Tecom/Greens/Marina or JBR.

oh and you can lease a car so no worries about not buying one!
Need to make sure that you have an international driving license to lease a car before you come out.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Is that different from a Uk one (old green one)
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Is leasing usually a better deal?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Is that different from a Uk one (old green one)
Yes, not sure how you get it as the requirements just changed after I leased my car.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Is leasing usually a better deal?
No, but until you get settles it is a good choice, my 1st monthly rental for a small car was 1500 per month but now for a years lease and a better car it is still 1500, yes it is dead money as you don't own but I wasn't ready to get into dept in this place with a bank loan, so my allowance covers the cost.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Doesnt need a car first month he is there and he hasnt been able to negotiate car allowance, so bite the bullitt i guess if he needs 1, yet more of a drain.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Doesnt need a car first month he is there and he hasnt been able to negotiate car allowance, so bite the bullitt i guess if he needs 1, yet more of a drain.
You can get by using taxi's which are cheap! but very unreliable!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Often they include the car allowance into the basic package which is better when it comes to end of service payout, mine was all split out but since they don't explain that then I didn't realise how it affected, anyway taxi's are not too expensive.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

They split his package into 2 ie basic and housing allowance, told him car allowance was included in basic, went back for more and they added 1000 per month which he accepted, been over all the figures a 1000X, not gonna save a lot as keepin house on here for at least a year till I see how my son gets on, he is wanting to go 1 min and not the next, but its hard for him he will miss his dad, but partner wants new start, goin through his divorce and lost a son all in space of 3 just less than 3 years, once I get a job we will be a lot better financially, even part time at few thousand a month, as I said don't want full time if I can help it but if thats all that is available so be it.
Just checked flights back from Dubai for him over Easter as needs to be back for 1srt financial hearing £650 booked from Dubai return but if was flying from UK 480? Now what does that tell you? have they added easter to their celebrations.