British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Dubai is boring why did nobody warn me ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dubai-boring-why-did-nobody-warn-me-914786/)

Tanit Jul 10th 2018 3:49 pm

Dubai is boring why did nobody warn me ?

As a young Dutch guy when we see Dubai in Dutch TV its always presented as this amazing cool city but life is very different here been living here as an expat in the last 2 years, the night life is very boring in fact most clubs are full of prostitutes

There is not much to do in the UAE other than malls and that gets boring after some time

The summer months are too warm for anybody to be outside

You just have drive 1 hour and you are already out in the desert

Live in Dubai if you want to walk around in cold malls your entire day

scot47 Jul 10th 2018 5:24 pm

Re: Dubai is boring why did nobody warn me ?

It used to be a place where people went to save oodles of money. Then the consumerist image took over. Give me KSA any day.

Millhouse Jul 10th 2018 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Tanit (Post 12530487)
As a young Dutch guy when we see Dubai in Dutch TV its always presented as this amazing cool city but life is very different here been living here as an expat in the last 2 years, the night life is very boring in fact most clubs are full of prostitutes

There is not much to do in the UAE other than malls and that gets boring after some time

Only boring people get bored my friend. I can't remember when I last went to a mall, and if it wasn't for the World Cup I'd say that about going to bars too.

DXBtoDOH Jul 11th 2018 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Tanit (Post 12530487)

Well, different people look for different things out of life.

This is what Dubai was like for me as a young man (I first came here in my late 20s):

Beaches and water sports: just about every weekend between October and May I was at the beach in some capacity. Swimming, kite sailing, kite boarding, water skiing, sailing, dragonboating, as well as running and cycling along the beaches.. It was a major element of my life in Dubai.

Sports: Played tennis, went cycling all the time. Great cycling track out in the desert.

Camping: at least a dozen times a year went out to the desert or mountains of Oman for camping trips. Sometimes even just for a day. Or go up to Musandum for a dhow tour.

Happy hours and bars: always went out at least once a week, usually twice a week, for happy hours and evening drinks with friends. We went everywhere from Barasti for sundowners to the latest fancy schmancy bar of the moment. I don't think I ever went to a club, however. Except the bars that turned into a club after a certain hour, like Buddha Bar in the Marina.

Dining out, from Indian in Karama to Arabic/Lebanese, to French. Occasionally I'd hop onto the metro and go down to Aroos Damascus in Deira for a cheap and brilliant Syrian meal, although my favourite was always Bussola for pizza and cold beer watching the sunset at the Westin.

Weekend travel trips all over the world for long weekends.

Culture: lots of little cultural venues and art galleries and shows and music venues. Time Out always has scads of listings.

I had a blast. I won't pretend Dubai is the best city in the world (it's not) but it's a great place if you work with what it offers.

I think you need to find a group of friends and get a social life set up. But only going to nightclubs (which admittedly are pretty bad in Dubai, it's not a city for clubs like you get in Europe, but it has a fantastic bar and beach club scene). Check out Meetup.com and there are plenty of social groups on there. People are pretty friendly if you put in the effort to meet people.

christmasoompa Jul 11th 2018 9:03 am

You really must be bored if you feel the need to repeatedly troll the forums. Maybe try and find a hobby or some friends instead?

Banned and thread closed.