Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

"Dubai Is Becoming More Islamic" - Discuss.

"Dubai Is Becoming More Islamic" - Discuss.

Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Dubai Is Becoming More Islamic" - Discuss.

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
Yes, the wealth available to virtually all Nationals here in UAE and also eg in Qatar prevents discontent which can be exploited by radicals. However, in those countries where the money does not go all the way round eg Saudi and Bahrain, trouble remains an ever present possibility, as witnessed by the recent rioting in Bahrain.

UAE is after all an Islamic country, so I have no problem with mainstream Islamic practises being implemented. Each country to their own. I am certainly not interested in replicating 'England in the sunshine' , which seems to be the objective of more than a few expats.
Yes, agreed - the fact that the wealth is distributed means that most Emiratis are very loyal to the government and proud of the development of their country. Their are, however, differences according to region and which family you come from - also their is a whole class of dispossessed "locals" who do not have citizenship.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:51 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
I am certainly not interested in replicating 'England in the sunshine' , which seems to be the objective of more than a few expats.
Oh well said!

Provided of course, I can get alcohol & bacon & don't have to dress in a bin bag!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Oh well said!

Provided of course, I can get alcohol & bacon & don't have to dress in a bin bag!
Well, so long as the UK lets people who wanna wear Hijab to work or school do so in their country, it would only be fair to expect people in other countries to allow you to retain your personal freedom when you're living in theirs.....
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Ghastly avatar BTW!

Agree

SYB, quick change, I have got you a new outfit!
Attached Thumbnails "Dubai Is Becoming More Islamic" - Discuss.-abaya.jpg  
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:58 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Well, so long as the UK lets people who wanna wear Hijab to work or school do so in their country, it would only be fair to expect people in other countries to allow you to retain your personal freedom when you're living in theirs.....

Of course! I was half-joking. I am not that kind of ex-pat.
I respect the rules, but I wouldn't choose to live in say, Saudi, as it is overly restrictive & I don't like a lot of things about the country.

Personally, I love the diversity of living in Dubai.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Agree

SYB, quick change, I have got you a new outfit!
Are you saying I should cover up so that I don't drive people mad with desire and commit carnal sins?
Old Jan 20th 2008, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying I should cover up so that I don't drive people mad with desire and commit carnal sins?
I'd say cover up, but for quite the opposite reasons.............
Old Jan 20th 2008, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'd say cover up, but for quite the opposite reasons.............
Well the sari is all your fault anyway, so you shall just have to suffer.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well the sari is all your fault anyway, so you shall just have to suffer.
Then more of the saree please. Here you go........ at least hide that hideous face...
Attached Thumbnails "Dubai Is Becoming More Islamic" - Discuss.-saree.jpe  
Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Then more of the saree please. Here you go........ at least hide that hideous face...
Hideous? It took me hours to put all that slap one...
Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hoi, yaar... You look so innocent & bridal I could ride up on a white horse and stuff your mouth with ludoo.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, agreed - the fact that the wealth is distributed means that most Emiratis are very loyal to the government and proud of the development of their country. Their are, however, differences according to region and which family you come from - also their is a whole class of dispossessed "locals" who do not have citizenship.
Back to my original topic...........

I just see signs of it increasingly whenever I come to Dubai. As I said - shops downtown closing for evening prayers, louder prayers played over mall loudspeakers.... etc ... etc.

Totally agree they can do what they like ("it's their country etc blah etc blah...")............ but a major conflict is building up............

........ does Dubai WANT the sort of tourism it seems to be attracting - and if so, does it realise it will increasingly clash with Islamic values?

Mr and Mrs Dagenham have MONEY these days.... (see Beebee's recent post about the sort of people she encountered at the Burj recently) .... Dubai needs tourist money.....

Ipso facto........... "I'm never going bck to Dubai - you can't get a pint in the local tandoori and the shops shut while the prayers are blaring out over the loudspeakers......"

It worries me actually - I discovered Dubai when it hardly had a hotel worthy of the name............ well, you know.........
Old Jan 20th 2008, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Dean
Back to my original topic...........

I just see signs of it increasingly whenever I come to Dubai. As I said - shops downtown closing for evening prayers, louder prayers played over mall loudspeakers.... etc ... etc.

Totally agree they can do what they like ("it's their country etc blah etc blah...")............ but a major conflict is building up............

........ does Dubai WANT the sort of tourism it seems to be attracting - and if so, does it realise it will increasingly clash with Islamic values?

Mr and Mrs Dagenham have MONEY these days.... (see Beebee's recent post about the sort of people she encountered at the Burj recently) .... Dubai needs tourist money.....

Ipso facto........... "I'm never going bck to Dubai - you can't get a pint in the local tandoori and the shops shut while the prayers are blaring out over the loudspeakers......"

It worries me actually - I discovered Dubai when it hardly had a hotel worthy of the name............ well, you know.........
I think that Mr and Mrs Dagenham are well catered for in their package deals at 5-star hotels that allow them to live the illusion that they are opulent and sophisticated and well deserving of the fawning attention of staff which they won't find in many places in the UK.

Given the occupation rates of Dubai hotels, I don't see that they're suffering at the moment....
Old Jan 20th 2008, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I think that Mr and Mrs Dagenham are well catered for in their package deals at 5-star hotels that allow them to live the illusion that they are opulent and sophisticated and well deserving of the fawning attention of staff which they won't find in many places in the UK.

Given the occupation rates of Dubai hotels, I don't see that they're suffering at the moment....
But Dubai now gets 6 million tourists a year - they need 15 million by 2015 to 'break even' (stat from a leaked Jumeirah business plan/document I saw some time back).

Hope you're right........... but "Ladies and gentlemen, the dinosaur theme park here at Dubailand is now closing for prayers" isn't quite what the tourist ordered........

I'm probably just being alarmist.......... Dubai has thrived precisely because it ISN'T too Islamic..... I'm sure it will all be fine......
Old Jan 20th 2008, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Dean
But Dubai now gets 6 million tourists a year - they need 15 million by 2015 to 'break even' (stat from a leaked Jumeirah business plan/document I saw some time back).

Hope you're right........... but "Ladies and gentlemen, the dinosaur theme park here at Dubailand is now closing for prayers" isn't quite what the tourist ordered........

I'm probably just being alarmist.......... Dubai has thrived precisely because it ISN'T too Islamic..... I'm sure it will all be fine......
By 2015 they're going to need to be targetting Chinese and Indian tourists methinks!!!

And WTF is going on with DubaiLand??? There's a big billboard but nix on the construction that I have seen????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.