British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Dubai or Australia? Teens especially! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dubai-australia-teens-especially-837552/)

chalkerwalker1 Jun 28th 2014 6:20 pm

Dubai or Australia? Teens especially!

Hi,
Looking for the family either to move to Adeliade, Australia or to Dubai, UAE. We have job offers in both places, with comfortable salaries. The job is as a Consultant Surgeon at a goverment and private in both locations. I have done research into both locations and know about social freedoms, rights, lifestyles and laws ect. I'm only 13, and would love to move somewhere where I can meet new friends ect. One advantage of Dubai is that I and my parents would both meet fellow expat friends, looking to explore other parts of the world and at the end of the day, have fun! People say the luxurious expat lifestyle is one to love with huge lifestyle and financial advantages. I would love to grow up in another country with fellow expat children!
But on the other hand Australia and it's fantastic lifestyle calls! Adeliade is know as the nicest city to live in, as it has easy living and it's only 20 mins to CBD, hills and sea. Do you think growing up in Austrlaia would be better than Dubai? I am currently stuck in this mindset of choosing either Dubai or Australia. Someone please just say what you think!

Alexa Jun 28th 2014 6:27 pm

Re: Dubai or Australia? Teens especially!

In my opinion, as a mother, Australia would be 100% better for you. I have a 16 year old son who grew up as an expat kid in the middle East. Not something he found easy.
I truly think your all round experience in Australia would be a happier and healthier one.
But then again, different strokes for different folks.

busybee2 Jun 28th 2014 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by chalkerwalker1 (Post 11318271)
Hi,
Looking for the family either to move to Adeliade, Australia or to Dubai, UAE. We have job offers in both places, with comfortable salaries. The job is as a Consultant Surgeon at a goverment and private in both locations. I have done research into both locations and know about social freedoms, rights, lifestyles and laws ect. I'm only 13, and would love to move somewhere where I can meet new friends ect. One advantage of Dubai is that I and my parents would both meet fellow expat friends, looking to explore other parts of the world and at the end of the day, have fun! People say the luxurious expat lifestyle is one to love with huge lifestyle and financial advantages. I would love to grow up in another country with fellow expat children!
But on the other hand Australia and it's fantastic lifestyle calls! Adeliade is know as the nicest city to live in, as it has easy living and it's only 20 mins to CBD, hills and sea. Do you think growing up in Austrlaia would be better than Dubai? I am currently stuck in this mindset of choosing either Dubai or Australia. Someone please just say what you think!

ozzie land u would get to do a lot more.

martinbkk Jun 29th 2014 5:39 am

People generally come to the ME for the money. Much of the praise bandied about for places like Dubai is with the knowledge that it wouldn't be possible to have a similar lifestyle in more liberal environments, no matter how much we might prefer them. So places like Dubai look and sound good when your other options are parts of Africa, Saudi or other even less desirable places. If the lifestyle is likely similar Australia would be a no brainer IMO. Not to mention that I'd think schooling options might be a lot better in Australia.

shiraz1 Jun 29th 2014 5:44 am

Downsides to Australia.
Incredibly expensive,particularly housing and eating out, half a day from anywhere, killer time differences, visitors will need to take weeks off work, stupid internal travel times.
Upsides are largely sport and climate related,better wine.But it's no surprise that there are so many Aussie visa overstayers in the UK, hour from Paris, two hours from Berlin and Barcelona etc.

Millhouse Jun 29th 2014 5:48 am

A small run in with the law over some weed/girls/cars/alcohol/petty vandalism in Dubai is a big problem. In Oz, it is nothing.

I know where I would like to do my experimental years. :thumbsup:

Tockalosh Jun 29th 2014 8:30 am

Yes

Meow Jun 29th 2014 9:08 am

Am I reading that right? The 13 year old child gets to make the decision? :confused:

Millhouse Jun 29th 2014 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11318645)
Am I reading that right? The 13 year old child gets to make the decision? :confused:

On second thoughts, this sounds like a child ready for Dubai.

Now where is Ade Margie, I need my oranges squeezed.

PunkDebutante Jun 30th 2014 9:26 am

Originally Posted by shiraz1 (Post 11318570)
Downsides to Australia.
Incredibly expensive,particularly housing and eating out, half a day from anywhere, killer time differences, visitors will need to take weeks off work, stupid internal travel times.
Upsides are largely sport and climate related,better wine.But it's no surprise that there are so many Aussie visa overstayers in the UK, hour from Paris, two hours from Berlin and Barcelona etc.

This is why my teenager hates it and is leaving as soon as she is done with school.

shiraz1 Jun 30th 2014 9:51 am

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante (Post 11319861)
This is why my teenager hates it and is leaving as soon as she is done with school.

And once they're out its unlikely they'll go back much.
It's ironic really as plenty of people take their kids to Australia thinking they'll love it and as soon as they're 18 they bail out and it's so far from anywhere the ties from are difficult to maintain

Waqar001 Jul 1st 2014 6:05 am

I think Australia would be better for you kid... You will be more likely to stay out of jail...

mentalist Jul 1st 2014 6:33 am

I cannot believe a teenager would seriously ask such a question. Adelaide wins hands down. Dubai has nothing to offer a teenager.