Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

dubai article from expat telegraph

dubai article from expat telegraph

Old May 10th 2005, 9:51 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute
Default dubai article from expat telegraph

If u haven't read it theres some interesting stuff

heres a taster on what they published about Dubai

To add balance, the reasons they leave is the stifling heat of summer when you can't survive without air-conditioning, the crazy roads, and an overdose of hedonism.

The author knows his stuff!!!

See http://www.property.telegraph.co.uk/.../ixportal.html

trin
Old May 10th 2005, 10:07 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: dubai article from expat telegraph

Originally Posted by Truth Speak

To add balance, the reasons they leave is the stifling heat of summer when you can't survive without air-conditioning, the crazy roads, and an overdose of hedonism.

trin

very interesting coincidence........ i came across an article printed i the NY Times today as well..... I like the closing line.....

<Sorry had to remove due to possible copyright issues. Please feel free to post the link to the original article but do not post any copyrighted material here unless the copyright is owned by you or you have consent from the owner of the copyrighted material.
Sue>
Old May 10th 2005, 10:13 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Good read, nicely balanced... Thanks
Old May 10th 2005, 10:20 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Truth Speak

trin

Hv read it ... very interesting
PS: Hv returned ur K
Old May 10th 2005, 10:34 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welivehere
Good read, nicely balanced... Thanks
A great read....... last line really sums it up !
Old May 10th 2005, 10:36 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
A great read....... last line really sums it up !
thats the bit i liked the most as well...... scary, but true!
Old May 10th 2005, 10:41 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
thats the bit i liked the most as well...... scary, but true!
I remember speaking to someone one night who said that Dubai was like one big film set... looks realistic and convincing........until you scratch at the surface then it all falls apart.
Old May 10th 2005, 10:46 am
W10

My first impression was that it's like Disneyland for grown-ups (a comment which appropriate on more than one level as well )

Old May 10th 2005, 10:47 am
Up in the air

Originally Posted by W10
My first impression was that it's like Disneyland for grown-ups (a comment which appropriate on more than one level as well )
You can OD on this place though.
It is a playground for the rich and shameless.
Old May 10th 2005, 10:49 am
W10

Yes - my comment was about superficiality, outward appearance and the sinister evil underbelly which sucks you under.

Hmmm...where's the evil laughter smilie?

Oh - and also a comment on workers rights

Old May 10th 2005, 12:42 pm
The Oracle

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
I remember speaking to someone one night who said that Dubai was like one big film set... looks realistic and convincing........until you scratch at the surface then it all falls apart.

very true....

the fakeness seems to be supported by the entire cast (or population) though... no one actually stands up and tries to real-ify things, if there is such a word, which there isnt, but I guess its okay to use it in Dubai.