Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai: areas to consider living?

Dubai: areas to consider living?

Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

ssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud of
Default Dubai: areas to consider living?

A complete newbie here - and my first post...so hi to all

I've been visiting this board for a few weeks and it's seems like a real community on here so here's hoping you can help me.

It's near certain that I'll be coming over to Dubai to work at the end of September / early October - staying for a few years.

My ultimate intension is to purchase a property and, as a single guy, think I will be looking for an apartment. I'm planning a trip over in August to do some exploring with my agent but, ahead of that, would welcome any input from clearly knowledgable 'locals' to suggest suitable areas - and I suppose those one might consider avoiding

I will be working in Internet City and it's been suggested by my agent that the Dubai Marina would be an ideal base ...but are there others I should consider?

Having driven into London from Surrey for the past 8 years I'm used to a long commute (1 hour ++) but have heard that the traffic is way way worse in Dubai so not to venture too far away. Is the commute really that bad?

Anyways sorry for the long intro....most grateful for any suggestions?

regards

ssuh
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:51 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai: areas to consider living?

Originally Posted by ssuh

I've been visiting this board for a few weeks and it's seems like a real community on here so here's hoping you can help me.

It's near certain that I'll be coming over to Dubai to work at the end of September / early October - staying for a few years.

My ultimate intension is to purchase a property and, as a single guy, think I will be looking for an apartment. I'm planning a trip over in August to do some exploring with my agent but, ahead of that, would welcome any input from clearly knowledgable 'locals' to suggest suitable areas - and I suppose those one might consider avoiding

I will be working in Internet City and it's been suggested by my agent that the Dubai Marina would be an ideal base ...but are there others I should consider?

Having driven into London from Surrey for the past 8 years I'm used to a long commute (1 hour ++) but have heard that the traffic is way way worse in Dubai so not to venture too far away. Is the commute really that bad?

regards

ssuh
Welcome

The Greens and Al Barsha are other areas to consider - 10/15min drive tops to DIC. Marina would be practically on your doorstep though for work.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

ssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud of

Thanks for the welcome Miss Eck...

Numbers 2 & 3 on the list

Will look them up.

regards

ssuh
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

what do you do, ssuh?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:04 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the welcome Miss Eck...

Numbers 2 & 3 on the list

Will look them up.

regards

ssuh
Take a look at the PDF version of the map on here - it will help you see where the locations are http://www.dubaitourism.ae/Map/default.asp

Al Barsha will be the most affordable option out of all three. Marina is lovely and probably ideal for a batchelor as you have quite a bit on your doorstep.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Hi jvr20

I'm in IT Consultancy & Project Management......

......well that's what it says on my business card

ssuh
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

cool. Welcome and see you at the next gathering!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Miss Eck

That is a great link...many thanks

Most detailed map I've seen of the area....really useful

regards

ssuh
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jvr20
cool. Welcome and see you at the next gathering!
Next gathering....

ssuh
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Next gathering....

ssuh
well maybe not the next one, if you're not here until October but you know what i mean

(you might want to shave your chest first - some of the ladies on here go crazy over hairy lads)
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:29 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck

That is a great link...many thanks

Most detailed map I've seen of the area....really useful

regards

ssuh
You could do with a very big screen to view it though!! But yeah, it is great.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

well maybe not the next one, if you're not here until October but you know what i mean

(you might want to shave your chest first - some of the ladies on here go crazy over hairy lads)

No not when..more a case of what?

A meet-up, BBQ, drinks?

ssuh
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

no, that's only BC...

MM, xx
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:27 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

regards

ssuh
Hi and welcome, and about your chest, it is customary to post a pic of it for my approval
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
no, that's only BC...

MM, xx
im sure there was more than just BC!!
she is just the most enthusiastic!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.