British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Dubai to Abu Dhabi Airport.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dubai-abu-dhabi-airport-508682/)

rebeccadubai Jan 24th 2008 5:32 am

Dubai to Abu Dhabi Airport..

Hi,

I'm picking up a friend from AD airport in the morning, and have no idea where it is! I've been told its not that close to AD, am I right?

I've actually never driven to AD before, but I'm thinking if I head in that direction on SZ Road, then I will eventually see signs to the airport.

Am I wrong and going to get horribly lost?

I've tried looking for maps online, but my work computer blocks most sites and pictures :(

Thanks

jvr20 Jan 24th 2008 5:39 am

Re: Dubai to Abu Dhabi Airport..

Originally Posted by rebeccadubai (Post 5831979)
Hi,

I'm picking up a friend from AD airport in the morning, and have no idea where it is! I've been told its not that close to AD, am I right?

I've actually never driven to AD before, but I'm thinking if I head in that direction on SZ Road, then I will eventually see signs to the airport.

I've tried looking for maps online, but my work computer blocks most sites and pictures :(

Thanks

yeah just keep driving and you'll hit signs for the airport :thumbup:

NorthernLad Jan 24th 2008 5:40 am

Originally Posted by rebeccadubai (Post 5831979)
Hi,

I've tried looking for maps online, but my work computer blocks most sites and
pictures :(

Thanks

Head down SZR towards Abu Dhabi, it's a straight road all the way.

Once you get into Abu Dhabi speed cameras are set to 160kph (you can tell you are in Abu Dhabi as speed cameras face away from you).

Airport is sign posted once you get closer to Abu Dhabi. Shouldn't take longer than an hour.

jvr20 Jan 24th 2008 5:44 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 5831994)
Shouldn't take longer than an hour.

from where??

I drove Shj-AD on Monday and it took me 3.5 hours (first hour was to travel the first 6 km towards Emirates Rd National Paints junction)... plain sailing after Jebel Ali tho.

NorthernLad Jan 24th 2008 5:46 am

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 5831998)
from where??

I drove Shj-AD on Monday and it took me 3.5 hours (first hour was to travel the first 6 km towards Emirates Rd National Paints junction)... plain sailing after Jebel Ali tho.

From DIC it takes me an hour and a half maximum to get to Etisalat (near to Corniche), that is going through the city rather than coast road.

A friend here at Christmas had limo service from Abu Dhabi airport to Al Qasr in less than an hour.

rebeccadubai Jan 24th 2008 5:46 am

Thanks for the replys!

I'm heading from the Marina end of town, so shouldn't be too bad :)

jvr20 Jan 24th 2008 5:48 am

ah OK, yeah when i drove back to Shj it was open road right until Barsha tollgate after which it was bumper all the way back to Sharjah.

Inselaffen Jan 24th 2008 5:51 am

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 5832005)
ah OK, yeah when i drove back to Shj it was open road right until Barsha tollgate after which it was bumper all the way back to Sharjah.

ah the joys of living in Sharjah!

jvr20 Jan 24th 2008 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5832012)
ah the joys of living in Sharjah!

that's why I don't usually come out :blink:

tonight's an exception, assuming I can hop in an illegal :eek:

typical Jan 25th 2008 6:42 am

I've done JBR to AUH in under 40 minutes... was being overtaken, too