Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai or Abu Dhabi?

Dubai or Abu Dhabi?

Old Nov 29th 2008, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Myname is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai or Abu Dhabi?

I am thinking of going to either Dubai or Abu Dhabi, everything from 1 month to more permanently if I really like it. I've read up on both cities but which one is the best for me, single male in my twenties, is probably very subjective.

If you have experienced both cities, which one did you like the most and why?
Old Nov 29th 2008, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai or Abu Dhabi?

Originally Posted by Myname
I am thinking of going to either Dubai or Abu Dhabi, everything from 1 month to more permanently if I really like it. I've read up on both cities but which one is the best for me, single male in my twenties, is probably very subjective.

If you have experienced both cities, which one did you like the most and why?

Depends. I'd work on job offers first.

For a single guy, Dubai is probably best as it's a bit more happening and rent is cheaper.

I prefer AD, but i'm in my 30's have a child and appreciate the better weekday life. We don't have the same traffic problems and it's easier to get from A to B. I can get home from pretty much anywhere within 25 minutes.

I'd do a look see before you made any life changing decisions..
Old Nov 29th 2008, 12:45 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in both, currently in ad. I agree totally with al dente. I'm the same mid 30's with family so I much prefer the less stressfull daily grind

Single guy? Gotta be dubai
Old Nov 29th 2008, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

I´ll second that...

Dubai got it all, nightlife, bars, girls and all other signs of a hectic lifestyle..apart from rampant crime that is, this is an arabic country after all and they´ll cut your balls off in court if you try anything funny.

Abu Dhabi is more laidback, more affluent and sedate.

My personal favo is Al-Ain though, the garden city of the desert oasis still got a lot of charm.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer Abu Dhabi. Dubai is too busy and hectic. I agree that D has more bars etc but Abu Dhabi has some good ones and new ones are openning up all the time (decent ones as well!)
I'm 29, been here for 14mths and have no intention of going home any time soon.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 1:24 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

You seen the leftbank out by my way chris? That whole souq is going to be fab when finished.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

doobye, cheaper rents for starters, more stuff to do.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Thank your for your replies so far.

Are western girls at clubs/bars, generally speaking, more conservatively dressed in AD compared to Dubai?

I am considering to go to the UAE for a few weeks to knock on doors. I believe this is the best way as it's not easy for me to get my job of preference considering my lack of experience (aviation).

How can you find some temporary work in the UAE where accommodation is included and preferably access to a car? I've even considered to work as a maid/driver. This would give me something to do when I don't job hunt as well as solving the accommodation problem.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Are western girls at clubs/bars, generally speaking, more conservatively dressed in AD compared to Dubai?

I am considering to go to the UAE for a few weeks to knock on doors. I believe this is the best way as it's not easy for me to get my job of preference considering my lack of experience (aviation).

How can you find some temporary work in the UAE where accommodation is included and preferably access to a car? I've even considered to work as a maid/driver. This would give me something to do when I don't job hunt as well as solving the accommodation problem.
sorry, but this all sounds like a non starter...temporary work with accomodation and a car just doesn't exist, and you wouldn't get a visa as a maid/driver (err...maid, you're a guy, non??), and the pay for a maid is probably AED 2k a month max...you wouldn't have much time to look for a job...

MM, xx
Old Nov 29th 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Ha, you'll be lucky to see an unattached western girl in a bar in Abu Dhabi if you ask me....the place is seriously bloke-tastic (discounting the "friends for hire...")!

Seriously though, for working in the UAE, I'd approach it from the point of where can you find work? Everything else is moot at this stage. Should you ever get to the point where you get a job offer in both cities, you can then cherry-pick. As everyone has said, for a single bloke Dubai is better. But, of course, if you found a job in Abu Dhabi, nothing to stop you going to Dubai every weekend. I even know a few people who live in the bottom end of Dubai and commute to AD everyday - not that I'd want to, but it's do-able.

Also completely agree with MM's comments above - temporary work of that type is completely and utterly not feasible for a westerner. Never ever.

Last edited by Dan725; Nov 29th 2008 at 2:31 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Also completely agree with MM's comments above - temporary work of that type is completely and utterly not feasible for a westerner. Never ever.
Alright, almost thought so.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 3:19 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Alright, almost thought so.
what nationality are you? and have you got any work experience?
Old Nov 29th 2008, 3:24 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Your Name Is..............??????

Mary Poppins.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
You seen the leftbank out by my way chris? That whole souq is going to be fab when finished.

Oh dear - drank far too much there last thursday! Love the feel of the place, just a shame there weren't more people in it..

x
Old Nov 30th 2008, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
Yeah, great bar. Went there the other weekend and finished off with a fantastic steak at The Meat Co. I agree, that place is going to be fab when it's all finished. We went to Pearls and Cavier afterwards - very nice bar as well over looking the water

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.