Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai or Abu Dhabi?

Dubai or Abu Dhabi?

Old Feb 5th 2006, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

jacky has a brilliant futurejacky has a brilliant futurejacky has a brilliant futurejacky has a brilliant futurejacky has a brilliant futurejacky has a brilliant future
Question Dubai or Abu Dhabi?

You sound a little bored dudes so can you advice? We're nearly there; landing with two large dogs and a giant tortoise in Dubai in a week's time!

1) My husband's going to work in Abu Dhabi so can anyone give us some ideas re accommodation please? Do we live in Dubai and he commutes daily or do we live in Abu Dhabi and visit Dubai just for fun?? The important thing overall is getting a house with a large garden for our beasts and we were told that this is difficult to find in Abu Dhabi. Any pointers?

2) Just as DKC applied for an import permit for our African Grey parrot, they found that there's now a ban stopping all bird imports and we're devastated

Does anyone know whether this is just for a short time during the migration because of the avian flu? Surely no virus could live in the heat of summer ?!! We can't bear the idea of never having her there with us ....... we've had her from an egg and she sits with us, chatting and singing, wherever we are. I design jewellery from home and truthfully I don't how I'm going to stay without her next to my desk:-(

Thanks for any advice you can give us
jacky
Old Feb 5th 2006, 5:41 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dubai or Abu Dhabi?

Originally Posted by jacky
You sound a little bored dudes so can you advice? We're nearly there; landing with two large dogs and a giant tortoise in Dubai in a week's time!

1) My husband's going to work in Abu Dhabi so can anyone give us some ideas re accommodation please? Do we live in Dubai and he commutes daily or do we live in Abu Dhabi and visit Dubai just for fun?? The important thing overall is getting a house with a large garden for our beasts and we were told that this is difficult to find in Abu Dhabi. Any pointers?

2) Just as DKC applied for an import permit for our African Grey parrot, they found that there's now a ban stopping all bird imports and we're devastated

Does anyone know whether this is just for a short time during the migration because of the avian flu? Surely no virus could live in the heat of summer ?!! We can't bear the idea of never having her there with us ....... we've had her from an egg and she sits with us, chatting and singing, wherever we are. I design jewellery from home and truthfully I don't how I'm going to stay without her next to my desk:-(

Thanks for any advice you can give us
jacky

Hello Jacky. Welcome to the forum.

Let me see if I can help you out....

1) I cant give u any info on accommodation in AD, but for the accommodation in Dubai, I would strongly suggest you look through the FAQ threads as there is some very useful info there.

Ok, the idea of living in Dubai and working in AD isnt completley insane, but I wouldnt advise it, as much as it hurts me to discourage someone from living in Dubai. AD is some 175km's from Dubai and a daily commute back and forth, every day could get VERY tiring, even for the most experienced driver. And remember that there isnt pleasant countryside to admire on the way, much of it is vast areas of construction, broken up by bits of desert - Not the most exciting thing to look at every day... Living in AD and driving to Dubai from time to time is your best bet and that isnt to say that AD doesnt have its own advantages. One I can think of, off the top of my head is the use of Ettihad, AD's flagship Carrier, which offers remarkably low air fares to the UK.

Heres a map for ya....

2) As for your pet parrot, I am afraid the ban is currently in place due to the spread of avian bird flu. There have been outbreaks in Kuwait, Iraq and now even in Saudi, so the ai=uthorities have to be cautious. A mass pigeon cull is also underway in Dubai at the moment, presumably for the same reason.

I recently saw this van zipping down our clogged streets and I managed to memorise their website, so it should hopefully provide some valuable info to ya:
http://www.ialpetexpress.com/

It is a fantastic website. Have a look.

I hope that helps a little. Feel free to ask any more questions and I will see what I can do to help. Cheers!
Old Feb 5th 2006, 6:15 pm

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the pet express link Face... Thats gonna come in very handy.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 7:38 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
Thanks for the pet express link Face... Thats gonna come in very handy.
no probs heart, I thought that it would prove to be useful at some point.

Incidentally, I saw another one of their vans zipping around Deira this afternoon. They seem to be doing quite well.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 9:09 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
Incidentally, I saw another one of their vans zipping around Deira this afternoon. They seem to be doing quite well.

Thats reassuring to know.... How are you anyway?
Old Feb 6th 2006, 2:23 pm
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Jacky

Yep thanx face that link was exactly what i was looking for, for a friend
Old Feb 6th 2006, 6:35 pm
The Oracle

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
Thats reassuring to know.... How are you anyway?
not to bad M, still unemployed, but life goes on....

should find something soon. Looking around now...
Old Feb 6th 2006, 6:35 pm
The Oracle

Originally Posted by Rumble Tumble
Welcome Jacky

Yep thanx face that link was exactly what i was looking for, for a friend
your welcome RT. and ta for the k.