British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dubai-451054/)

richiec May 17th 2007 10:29 pm

Dubai

So I have no degree...just A Levels.

Worked in customer service since 2003, part time until 2006 when I started work at a major Bank...

I hear of people walking out there (well flying but you know what I mean) and getting work....in all fields....IT, oil, accounts, health, teaching even tourism and the hotel trade.

I wonder if I can get work in a hotel or sales/general banking. Generally, I am looking for work overseas to get some experience etc etc. I have seen a few jobs in sales for young dynamic people who are keen to sell and hotel jobs. Also banking customer service staff jobs...With English and High School qualifications. I am thinking of applying.

I see most provide the flights and accommodation etc...even for some for general staff.

I wonder if I am likely to find work regardless of the pay and why it appears so easy - by that I mean with most countries you would need a skill to be allowed in the country to work! The UAE allows people in as a tourists to look for work. Then the employer will get your visa and residence etc....if you get the job that is!

Cheers

Desert Dweller May 18th 2007 1:46 am

Re: Dubai

Unfortunately it isn't 1984 anymore and the chances of getting a job in what you are looking for, never mind inclusive of flights and accommodation are incredibly slim.

Bob May 18th 2007 3:49 am

Aye, as mentioned, it's unlikely...they can get donkies to do much of the work who are qualified up the arse and will work for peanuts from the sub continent for much of the stuff...and dxb ain't cheap, so you'll need a good package to enjoy it out there, and realistically you've either got to have a lot of qualifications, or oddles of experience, especially in niche market skills....otherwise it'll be shit, as it is in most countries these days....doesn't mean it's impossible though.

Madam Medusa May 18th 2007 3:54 am

agree with the others...think it's unlikely you'll get anything suitable.

MM, xx

IndieG May 18th 2007 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4795939)
Aye, as mentioned, it's unlikely...they can get donkies to do much of the work who are qualified up the arse and will work for peanuts from the sub continent for much of the stuff...and dxb ain't cheap, so you'll need a good package to enjoy it out there, and realistically you've either got to have a lot of qualifications, or oddles of experience, especially in niche market skills....otherwise it'll be shit, as it is in most countries these days....doesn't mean it's impossible though.

The really well qualified staff (and I mean those that have obtained their degrees from very well recognised institutes in India - not the sidey ones) are reasonably well paid (atleast >35k a month, again depending on qualification and area). Those that were not paid well have since returned to better paying jobs in India (I know dozens who have left in the last 2-3 years).

I agree, the well qualified ones who chose to remain for peanuts are donkeys;)

Desert Dweller May 18th 2007 7:26 am

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 4796163)
I agree, the well qualified ones who chose to remain for peanuts are donkeys;)

Monkeys surely, the ones who remain for carrots are donkeys.

IndieG May 18th 2007 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller (Post 4796401)
Monkeys surely, the ones who remain for carrots are donkeys.

Monkeys are smarter......;)

Blue Cat May 18th 2007 9:38 am

Originally Posted by richiec (Post 4795181)
So I have no degree...just A Levels.

Worked in customer service since 2003, part time until 2006 when I started work at a major Bank...

I hear of people walking out there (well flying but you know what I mean) and getting work....in all fields....IT, oil, accounts, health, teaching even tourism and the hotel trade.

I wonder if I can get work in a hotel or sales/general banking. Generally, I am looking for work overseas to get some experience etc etc. I have seen a few jobs in sales for young dynamic people who are keen to sell and hotel jobs. Also banking customer service staff jobs...With English and High School qualifications. I am thinking of applying.

I see most provide the flights and accommodation etc...even for some for general staff.

I wonder if I am likely to find work regardless of the pay and why it appears so easy - by that I mean with most countries you would need a skill to be allowed in the country to work! The UAE allows people in as a tourists to look for work. Then the employer will get your visa and residence etc....if you get the job that is!

Cheers

my advice would be register with some of the agencies and see what feedback you get from them, maybe have a trip over to see what's happening but I wouldn't give you your day job at home!!!!

richiec May 18th 2007 5:40 pm

Well guys I am considering going to Uni to do a Degree in HR or Marketing...next year though. First I want to go to India for 6 months to work for a British/Indian registered street children charity and tour the amazing country!

As I will the look back to Dubai after the degree...

Blue Cat May 18th 2007 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by richiec (Post 4799047)
Well guys I am considering going to Uni to do a Degree in HR or Marketing...next year though. First I want to go to India for 6 months to work for a British/Indian registered street children charity and tour the amazing country!

As I will the look back to Dubai after the degree...

that is great news, I wish I had done that when I was younger. Good luck with it all :):)

richiec May 18th 2007 7:37 pm

Well yeah, I have been thinking about doing and not doing it....but I always think if I do not do it I will regret it later in life :(

I already regret not going to Uni straight after college - to an extent anyway - so I will do the voluntary work in India. Then go to Uni with some invaluable experiences and a new mindset!

Blue Cat May 18th 2007 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by richiec (Post 4799586)
Well yeah, I have been thinking about doing and not doing it....but I always think if I do not do it I will regret it later in life :(

I already regret not going to Uni straight after college - to an extent anyway - so I will do the voluntary work in India. Then go to Uni with some invaluable experiences and a new mindset!

good for you! I hope you enjoy your experience and come back to tell us all about it. I am doing work here for the helping hands appeal for the labourers and the maids, it is ongoing and will never stop. :thumbsup:

richiec May 18th 2007 7:50 pm

Yes indeed! :)

It will be a terrific experience. Not totally plain sailing...there will be ups and downs and I am sure I will come across some overwhelming experiences. :(:)

This is part of the deal though. It will look good for university admissions and employers showing maturity, integrity and a great deal of will power. Well that is what I think anyway :thumbsup:

Madam Medusa May 18th 2007 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by richiec (Post 4799628)
Yes indeed! :)

It will be a terrific experience. Not totally plain sailing...there will be ups and downs and I am sure I will come across some overwhelming experiences. :(:)

This is part of the deal though. It will look good for university admissions and employers showing maturity, integrity and a great deal of will power. Well that is what I think anyway :thumbsup:

get that degree behind you...and then you could maybe think about someone giving you a job here...

MM, xx

richiec May 18th 2007 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 4799634)
get that degree behind you...and then you could maybe think about someone giving you a job here...

MM, xx

Yes...well I think the work in India and a degree means more to me atm. It will open a lot more doors after!