Reload this Page >

Dual nationality in Dubai

Dual nationality in Dubai

Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

highways is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dual nationality in Dubai

Originally Posted by CeeBee
Someone told me - rightly or wrongly- that having a dual (say, UK and South Africa) nationality can help if you want to change companies?
You probably mean because your residency will be cancelled on one passport for 6 months when you leave your company, so you can get a job using your other passport, but is this legal?
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by highways
You probably mean because your residency will be cancelled on one passport for 6 months when you leave your company, so you can get a job using your other passport, but is this legal?
Exactly....
Old Jun 26th 2008, 5:59 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
I'm fairly sure that the UAE does not recognise dual nationality.

EDIT - a quick Google later, and..

"Dual Nationality/Child Custody: The UAE government does not recognize dual nationality. Children of UAE fathers automatically acquire UAE citizenship at birth and must enter and leave the UAE on UAE passports. UAE authorities will usually confiscate the U.S. passports of dual (UAE/U.S.) nationals. This does not constitute loss of citizenship, but should be reported to the U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi or the U.S. Consulate General in Dubai."
I have a friend who's mum is a Brit and he was born there...had to give up his British citizenship to stay and work here as an Emirati - but he get's mega benefits being a local here compared to the UK so I can't blame him!

N.