British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Dual nationality in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dual-nationality-dubai-544928/)

Saj786 Jun 24th 2008 1:19 pm

Dual nationality in Dubai

Hi all - does anyone know off-hand if Dubai allows dual nationality? I know some countries do and some dont - The UK does.

Thanks,
Saj

shiva Jun 24th 2008 1:39 pm

Re: Dual nationality in Dubai

if your a local, maybe
if your an expat no chance.
Getting a UAE passport takes a min of 20yrs residency and it helps if you've saved a sheikhs life....

Just Browsing Jun 24th 2008 1:51 pm

I think the OP means he may be for instance British and also hold a passport for another country, not whether he can become a UAE passport holder??

highways Jun 24th 2008 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Saj786 (Post 6498632)
Hi all - does anyone know off-hand if Dubai allows dual nationality? I know some countries do and some dont - The UK does.

Thanks,
Saj

When I was there I used my British passport for entering and leaving the country and I kept my other passport aside. No Problem.

shiva Jun 24th 2008 2:09 pm

ah ok, in that case yes i think so. As half the Arab population of teh UAe ios dual nationality you should be ok.

"as an aside, conf what the deal with every lebanese person I know having a Canadian passport"

Blue Cat Jun 24th 2008 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 6498858)
ah ok, in that case yes i think so. As half the Arab population of teh UAe ios dual nationality you should be ok.

"as an aside, conf what the deal with every lebanese person I know having a Canadian passport"

and every Indian these days too!

Slingshot Jun 24th 2008 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6499101)
and every Indian these days too!

quite a few Indians like the Australian passport

Eeyore Jun 24th 2008 3:40 pm

I'm fairly sure that the UAE does not recognise dual nationality.

EDIT - a quick Google later, and..

"Dual Nationality/Child Custody: The UAE government does not recognize dual nationality. Children of UAE fathers automatically acquire UAE citizenship at birth and must enter and leave the UAE on UAE passports. UAE authorities will usually confiscate the U.S. passports of dual (UAE/U.S.) nationals. This does not constitute loss of citizenship, but should be reported to the U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi or the U.S. Consulate General in Dubai."

Blue Cat Jun 24th 2008 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Slingshot (Post 6499111)
quite a few Indians like the Australian passport

I have lost count of the amount of Iranians I have come across that present themselves as Canadian :confused:

Saj786 Jun 24th 2008 4:32 pm

kewl, thanks all - I did mean entering the UAE on a British passport but having another valid passport from another country on the side (which probably wont be used)

Grace O Malley Jun 24th 2008 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Saj786 (Post 6499250)
kewl, thanks all - I did mean entering the UAE on a British passport but having another valid passport from another country on the side (which probably wont be used)

Its not a problem I have 2 passports, just remember to use the passport you exited on to re enter, otherwise you will have a big headache with immigration, I know someone who stupidly did it, and had a lot of hassle, not mentioning any names;);)

Bonny Boy Jun 25th 2008 3:15 am

As Eeyore notes, UAE does not recognise dual citizenship for its own nationals.

Dual citizens of other countries (except the one where they grow oranges) should be OK.

Canadian passports are relatively easy to get cf USA/UK, and open the door for easy visits to many countries - purchase of visa on arrival etc.

Madam Medusa Jun 25th 2008 4:25 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 6499297)
Its not a problem I have 2 passports, just remember to use the passport you exited on to re enter, otherwise you will have a big headache with immigration, I know someone who stupidly did it, and had a lot of hassle, not mentioning any names;);)

hahahaha anna, what are you like...!!

MM, xx

Grace O Malley Jun 25th 2008 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6500855)
hahahaha anna, what are you like...!!

MM, xx

ha ha , well they look the same! Thats my story anyway!

CeeBee Jun 26th 2008 8:57 am

Someone told me - rightly or wrongly- that having a dual (say, UK and South Africa) nationality can help if you want to change companies?