Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Driving to UK from Oman

Driving to UK from Oman

Old Jan 30th 2022, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

alexmills80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving to UK from Oman

Hi guys. A previous thread was closed a couple of years ago... not sure if anyone can offer advice/tips on this?
In Jun/Jul 2023, my family and I have a draft plan to drive back from Oman to the UK in a converted Toyota Coaster bus, at the end of my tour here in Oman.Our draft route would be:
Oman
UAE
Saudi
Possibly Jordan, Israel
Cyprus
Turkey
Greece
Albania
Montenegro
Croatia
Italy
France
UK

Old Feb 2nd 2022, 7:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Driving to UK from Oman

Originally Posted by alexmills80
Hi guys. A previous thread was closed a couple of years ago... not sure if anyone can offer advice/tips on this?
In Jun/Jul 2023, my family and I have a draft plan to drive back from Oman to the UK in a converted Toyota Coaster bus, at the end of my tour here in Oman.Our draft route would be:
Oman
UAE
Saudi
Possibly Jordan, Israel
Cyprus
Turkey
Greece
Albania
Montenegro
Croatia
Italy
France
UK
Would love to do something like this.

Seen lots go the Iran route - ferry and whatnot over that way and up and round into Europe.
Saudi likely to be easier now tourist visas exist.

Why a Coaster though?

Some I've seen doing it said the worst part was the Albania sort of area (depending which route you go).If you get to Greece you can do a ferry to Ancona on the east coast of Italy which cuts a lot of driving out, but that may defeat the object of your trip.
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

There was a Gulf News (or Khaleej Times) journalist who drove from Abu Dhabi to UK after finishing working in UAE and wrote about it. Can't recall his or the book's name ('they shout at camels' or something along those lines possibly)
Old Feb 10th 2022, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

eastrunner is an unknown quantity at this point

This would be absolutely fantastic, we would need to take our rescued wadi dog as well!!
Old Feb 11th 2022, 8:19 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Would love to do something like this.

Seen lots go the Iran route - ferry and whatnot over that way and up and round into Europe.
Saudi likely to be easier now tourist visas exist.

Why a Coaster though?

Some I've seen doing it said the worst part was the Albania sort of area (depending which route you go).If you get to Greece you can do a ferry to Ancona on the east coast of Italy which cuts a lot of driving out, but that may defeat the object of your trip.
Spent a fortnight last year driving around Albania and it was fine. A little crazy but not a big deal when you're used to driving in the ME. Amazing country with a lot to offer. No idea what border crossings will be like though...

But it sounds like a great adventure and the OP should absolutely record a live blog on here!