Driving to UK

Old Dec 26th 2013, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

mandm65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving to UK

Guys
Just looking for some sound advice/pointers as I am planning a driving trip from Jeddah to UK next summer. I appreciate that it will not be something straight forward and fully understands the implications of such a trip and kind of expect the ‘unexpected’.
I posting here with a hope that someone on this form ‘got the t-shirt’ and would be able to guide me. While the journey planning can done using ‘google map’ etc I am keen to know what sort of vehicle I should use for the journey. The trip will be one-way so I intend to keep the car, guess need to know the implications of exporting/importing the vehicle. Naturally I would like to avoid the gas guzzlers so something (although LHD) could be used in the UK.
Appreciate your help/guide
Cheers
Old Dec 26th 2013, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Driving to UK

The only person I know who has done this recently went via Iran and up via Turkey. He returned to Belgium and drove the car( Land Rover Defender)back. He has a blog on the web somewhere and it gives lots of Info.

Think the Syria route is a no goer now. I fancy doing this myself one day.
Old Dec 26th 2013, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

http://slowlanetonowhere.blogspot.ae.../label/English

here you go cause its Christmas
Old Dec 26th 2013, 1:26 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartans53
The only person I know who has done this recently went via Iran and up via Turkey. He returned to Belgium and drove the car( Land Rover Defender)back. He has a blog on the web somewhere and it gives lots of Info.

Think the Syria route is a no goer now. I fancy doing this myself one day.
Easiest thing for you now, since you can drive through Saudi, and not all of us can is to go up through Saudi, over to Jordan, into Lebanon - ferry across to Cyprus, up to North Cyprus, ferry across to Turkey and off you go.
Old Dec 26th 2013, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm interesting. This is something I've also been considering and the route Original just posted ws the one I was thinking of.

Anyone know what the issues might be in importing a car with Saudi plates into the UK? Import duty?
Old Dec 26th 2013, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sicklyman
hmmm interesting. This is something I've also been considering and the route Original just posted ws the one I was thinking of.

Anyone know what the issues might be in importing a car with Saudi plates into the UK? Import duty?
Can be tricky. You need to have owned the car 12 months, and registrating it, it needs to comply with EEC regulations, but you can by-pass this with the same regulations as kit-cars, but you might get a Q plate, which buggers the resale.
Look up National Type Approval regulations. It's something like 500 of each model type can come in to the UK, but you have to piss about with emisions, and arse about with catalytic converters.

Last edited by OleJanx; Dec 26th 2013 at 4:14 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2013, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are already too late with the planning

Lebanon won't be as easy as you think for sure.

I would try and get a ferry to a red-sea bit of Egypt, drive north, then another ferry to some mainland bit of Europe. Keep the numbers of countries, borders and import-exports to a minimum.

Last edited by Millhouse; Dec 26th 2013 at 4:39 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2013, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I think you are already too late with the planning

Lebanon won't be as easy as you think for sure.

I would try and get a ferry to a red-sea bit of Egypt, drive north, then another to some mainland bit of Europe. Keep the numbers of countries, borders and import-exports to a minimum.
Syria has knackered things. Via Iran seems to be the only option, and that isn't going to be easy.
Old Dec 26th 2013, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Book called 'They Saddle Dogs' is about a guy who went from Abu Dhabi back to UK.

Think his route was via Jeddah, ferry to Egypt and ferry to tip of Italy
Old Dec 26th 2013, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Syria has knackered things. Via Iran seems to be the only option, and that isn't going to be easy.
Iran is impossible with a Brit or US passport. Even if you get a visa there is no guarantee that the official will let you in on the day.
Old Dec 26th 2013, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by flares
Book called 'They Saddle Dogs' is about a guy who went from Abu Dhabi back to UK.

Think his route was via Jeddah, ferry to Egypt and ferry to tip of Italy
Seems a sensible route
Old Dec 26th 2013, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Seems a sensible route
Yes, Egypt certainly looks promising at the moment....
Old Dec 28th 2013, 12:18 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandm65
Guys
Just looking for some sound advice/pointers as I am planning a driving trip from Jeddah to UK next summer. I appreciate that it will not be something straight forward and fully understands the implications of such a trip and kind of expect the ‘unexpected’.
I posting here with a hope that someone on this form ‘got the t-shirt’ and would be able to guide me. While the journey planning can done using ‘google map’ etc I am keen to know what sort of vehicle I should use for the journey. The trip will be one-way so I intend to keep the car, guess need to know the implications of exporting/importing the vehicle. Naturally I would like to avoid the gas guzzlers so something (although LHD) could be used in the UK.
Appreciate your help/guide
Cheers
I thought you couldn't import left hand drives into the UK?
Old Dec 28th 2013, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

yeah you can and the gov website lays it all out quite clearly what's required. No import duty if you've owned the car over 6 months and hang on to it for 12 months once in the UK either.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yep but you have to have owned it as said above for minimum times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.