Reload this Page >

Driving in UAE with Uk Licence?

Driving in UAE with Uk Licence?

Old Jun 3rd 2013, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Danny396 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in UAE with Uk Licence?

Hi there,

Sorry if this has been answered before but i couldn't find any answer so thought i'd post a new thread.

I'm just wondering what the car insurance is like in Abu Dhabi, Basically my partner (Fiancee) is currently living and working in Abu Dhabi, I'm moving out there in august after our wedding and I'm just trying to find out how I get put on her insurance. She spoke to someone from her insurance and they said (unconvincingly) that I need to have a UAE licence to drive her car, that i could only drive a hire car on my Uk licence until my UAE licence comes through!

Is this the case that i cant drive my partners car until i get my UAE licence?

Thanks again for your replys

Danny
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in UAE with Uk Licence?

Sounds to me that your fiancée was quoted correctly. Why don't you believe it?
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Danny396 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi thanks for your response,

Its just my partner said the woman she spoke to didn't seem sure herself so wanted to see if she was right or not.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

She's probably right, I expect her insurance policy will stipulate that only someone with a UAE licence is insured to drive the car. As stated, you can use your UK licence to hire a car until you get a residence visa, at which time you must get a UAE licence as you cannot drive under a UK licence as a resident.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny396
Hi there,

Sorry if this has been answered before but i couldn't find any answer so thought i'd post a new thread.

I'm just wondering what the car insurance is like in Abu Dhabi, Basically my partner (Fiancee) is currently living and working in Abu Dhabi, I'm moving out there in august after our wedding and I'm just trying to find out how I get put on her insurance. She spoke to someone from her insurance and they said (unconvincingly) that I need to have a UAE licence to drive her car, that i could only drive a hire car on my Uk licence until my UAE licence comes through!

Is this the case that i cant drive my partners car until i get my UAE licence?

Thanks again for your replys

Danny
yep thats right, in order to drive a private car in uae you must have a uae licence, as a uk licence holder once you have your residence visa then you can swap your uk licence to a uae one. if you are still on a tourist visa then you can only hire a rental car. once you are resident anyone can drive your private car, the insurance is for the car not the person as such.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny396
Hi thanks for your response,

Its just my partner said the woman she spoke to didn't seem sure herself so wanted to see if she was right or not.
its right you cant drive her car until you have a uae licence. easy peasey lemon squeezy.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:33 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

ive said this few times so it should come up in searches

i have spoken to the RTA and insurance people.
On a visit visa a relative can drive your car and be covered under the insurance whilst using a UK driving license. as soon as you get residency you must have a UAE license to be insured.

FYI it is the car in the UAE that is insured and not named drivers, thus no need too "add" you to anything.

I would however phone the police and insurance yourselves again as they make everything up here on an individual, national and daily basis.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

I was advised that you cannot use a UK licence as soon as your residence visa process has commenced.