driving uae.

Old Aug 18th 2010, 8:41 pm
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice
Default driving uae.

A mate reckons
To today's ****wit...Those orange flashy things on the corner of your car are not Xmas fairy lights, they're to warn the rest of us which vague direction you might point your motorised missile in next. Use 'em. Twat.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:06 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving uae.

Been wondering what that thing on the side of the steering wheel was ever since we got here. I knew that if I pushed it in one direction it lit up a light on the dashboard which pointed right, and that if I pushed it in the other direction it lit up the dashboard light which pointed left. But the triangular light button is so much nicer - believe this lights up all the pretty coloured lights on the outside of the car.

After just over five years here have finally worked it out ... just don't believe the signals from any vehicle, whether in front of you, beside you or behind you, especially on a roundabout!

These are vehicular accessories, to be used much like jewellery ... to enhance the look of your vehicle. Much like the stickers which say things like, 'baby on board' or 'princess on board' whilst the driver is talking on the phone, doing his/her make-up, reading the paper, texting, the child is crawling all over the car, standing on the central console with said child's head through the sun roof (who needs a sun roof here?) on SZR doing over 140 kmph.

Nope. These things which indicate what you may be deciding to do are optional extras which are forced upon us all. Obviously need to go and think about this a bit more - I must be missing something.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd
Been wondering what that thing on the side of the steering wheel was ever since we got here. I knew that if I pushed it in one direction it lit up a light on the dashboard which pointed right, and that if I pushed it in the other direction it lit up the dashboard light which pointed left. But the triangular light button is so much nicer - believe this lights up all the pretty coloured lights on the outside of the car.

After just over five years here have finally worked it out ... just don't believe the signals from any vehicle, whether in front of you, beside you or behind you, especially on a roundabout!

These are vehicular accessories, to be used much like jewellery ... to enhance the look of your vehicle. Much like the stickers which say things like, 'baby on board' or 'princess on board' whilst the driver is talking on the phone, doing his/her make-up, reading the paper, texting, the child is crawling all over the car, standing on the central console with said child's head through the sun roof (who needs a sun roof here?) on SZR doing over 140 kmph.

Nope. These things which indicate what you may be deciding to do are optional extras which are forced upon us all. Obviously need to go and think about this a bit more - I must be missing something.
I call it the "Clicky pointy stick"
Old Aug 19th 2010, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hnd

Alleged quote from a local - "why do I need to use them, I know where I'm going...."
Old Aug 19th 2010, 10:39 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

rule 384: hazard lights are to be used to indicate going straight at a roundabout or to warn other drivers of your intention to use the brakes or that there may be fog ahead

rule 385: fog lights must only be used on clear nights to dazzle oncoming traffic and blind the cars in front of you via their mirrors. They are a safe alternative to your main lights or a fashionable addition to side lights.Fog lights must not be used as intended or bad things will happen and the jinn will be displeased.

rule 386: main headlights are an outdated and unfashionable thing, they should not be used other than during daylight hours to inform the car in front that you wish to kill them.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 11:19 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Just written my company's regional car policy:

"The company has a zero-tolerance approach to drinking and driving, in line with most local laws. Employees are not permitted to drive with more than 0% blood alcohol level.
Accordingly, employees are required to adhere strictly to this policy of no drinking and driving, with no exceptions and no excuses; this applies when driving for both business and private purposes. Violation of this requirement may be treated as misconduct under the employee’s contract of employment.
Employees travelling in a company car being driven by an employee breaking this policy will also be considered by the company to have broken this policy."

"Drivers and occupants shall wear seat belts at all times.
Irrespective of the absence of local laws, employees shall ensure that all children and infants travelling in company cars have and use suitable child safety belts, booster seats or baby-seats, all to European standards.
It is the responsibility of the employee to ensure compliance in this regard."

Every little helps...
Old Aug 19th 2010, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Just written my company's regional car policy:

"The company has a zero-tolerance approach to drinking and driving, in line with most local laws. Employees are not permitted to drive with more than 0% blood alcohol level.
Accordingly, employees are required to adhere strictly to this policy of no drinking and driving, with no exceptions and no excuses; this applies when driving for both business and private purposes. Violation of this requirement may be treated as misconduct under the employee’s contract of employment.
Employees travelling in a company car being driven by an employee breaking this policy will also be considered by the company to have broken this policy."

"Drivers and occupants shall wear seat belts at all times.
Irrespective of the absence of local laws, employees shall ensure that all children and infants travelling in company cars have and use suitable child safety belts, booster seats or baby-seats, all to European standards.
It is the responsibility of the employee to ensure compliance in this regard."

Every little helps...
I've lost too many friends in UAE to traffic crashes - any improvement is welcome!!!