Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Driving and navigation system in the UAE

Driving and navigation system in the UAE

Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

alexalexa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving and navigation system in the UAE

Hi, I have a few questions about driving in the UAE.

First of all, is it possible to buy a portable navigation system for Dubai and Abu Dhabi and which one would you recommend and where can I get it? (I am looking for a really good one.)

Is it easy to rent automatic cars and buy them there (I can't drive stick)?

Is there a website or a booklet with the driving and parking rules of the UAE?

Should I (I am only used to drive in the States) take a few driving classes at the beginning or how did the ones of you, who are not that confident when driving manage at the beginning in Dubai?

I will have to house and job hunt in October, my husband will be working and might be even on business travel... How did you do it at the beginning (cab, bus, drove yourself...)?

PS: Pls don't try to scare me even more by telling me how dangerous it is there. A while ago I searched for the highway from Abu Dhabi to Dubai, I wanted to find a map, and all I found on the Internet were scarry pictures of terrible accidents
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving and navigation system in the UAE

there are sat nav systems, but i know that they can be a bit dodgy and take you on some weird routes...

my advice is to get in a car as soon as possible after you arrive, go out on a friday when it's quieter to get your confidence...

there aren't any parking or driving rules here, so no book, lol...

and i think most cars here are automatic...

MM, xx
Old Sep 20th 2008, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Opponent is an unknown quantity at this point

Driving isnt that bad to be honest. Have been driving for a couple of weeks. There are a few idiots on the road mostly taxi drivers.

Navigation isnt too bad either. I use the Garmin one with the latest map for the middle east version 5 (released this year). It takes me on the right route 90% of the time. But given the pace of development here even that map is slightly out of date.

And like the other poster said most if not all cars are automatic
Old Sep 20th 2008, 2:09 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

yeah...just go and drive straight away...the longer you put it off the harder it becomes...it's fun most of the times...you can get away with anything...sort of
Old Sep 20th 2008, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I use the Garmin sat nav as well and it's okay, probably best you'll get with the roads changing so rapidly. The problem is actually getting an address from someone so you can program your sat nav - they're not into giving addresses in Dubai. Driving isn't too bad once you get used to it - you've just got to bite the bullet and go, the first week I was here I just drove to the local shop and back, but the last three weeks, have been forced to take the kids to school and go househunting, so have been driving everywhere and it's fine.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 5:10 pm