Driving in Muscat

Old May 11th 2007, 12:03 pm
Marching on Together

justin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nice
Default Driving in Muscat

To all those who are in Muscat or have spent some time there recently, what is it really like to drive there.

You here the normal, be carefull they are reckless, you have to join in to survive, please add comments

Is it easy to find your way around, or is it just a cleaner Milton Keynes with roundabouts?

Should I get sat nav?

Stupid I know, but moving date is getting ever nearer everyday, so just the stupid questions seem to be popping into the old grey matter
Old May 11th 2007, 2:06 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Muscat

Originally Posted by justin riseborough
To all those who are in Muscat or have spent some time there recently, what is it really like to drive there.

You here the normal, be carefull they are reckless, you have to join in to survive, please add comments

Is it easy to find your way around, or is it just a cleaner Milton Keynes with roundabouts?

Should I get sat nav?

Stupid I know, but moving date is getting ever nearer everyday, so just the stupid questions seem to be popping into the old grey matter
I found driving in Muscat a pleasure the last time I was there, I was only cut up once and it was by a car with DUBAI plates! you will have no problems I am sure.
Old May 11th 2007, 2:13 pm
Marching on Together

justin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nice

I am not worried, having the pleasure of driving around the city of london for a few years, so suffering from RSI due to increased level of horn useage is a known ailment.

Just one of those silly things that pop into your head at 4.00am when you really should be sleeping.
Old May 11th 2007, 2:41 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I am not worried, having the pleasure of driving around the city of london for a few years, so suffering from RSI due to increased level of horn useage is a known ailment.

Just one of those silly things that pop into your head at 4.00am when you really should be sleeping.
I find driving in England so boring now though! be warned we tend to be quite fast drivers!
Old May 14th 2007, 2:08 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Should I get sat nav?

In recent years the traffic has got worse due to then number of new cars going on the road every day. Fortunately Muscat was better than Dubai at forecasting and built bigger roads earlier so there is a better infrastructure in the trunk roads.
Commuting traffic can be pretty bad but can be avoided in part with where you live and work. Don't live on the far side of Azaiba if you work in CBD for instance.
As far as safety goes, Oman does have the highest death to car crash ratio in the world, but much of this is due to the numbers from the interior as opposed to Muscat! In general the driving is pretty good but you have to drive offensively and not defensively and be confident!
Old May 14th 2007, 6:24 am
Marching on Together

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. It sounds like it will be fun and I cannot wait
Old May 14th 2007, 7:01 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. It sounds like it will be fun and I cannot wait
You'll love it- it's a great place!

It'll be hot when you get there though which will take a lot out of you as your body adapts and you realize that opening the car window when you are driving has the opposite effect- it's like turning a big hairdryer on!
Push on through!
Old May 14th 2007, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Candy floss has a brilliant futureCandy floss has a brilliant futureCandy floss has a brilliant futureCandy floss has a brilliant futureCandy floss has a brilliant futureCandy floss has a brilliant future

Hi - when we visited we found the driving no problem - my husband drives to London on the A13 everyday and that is much busier than the roads in Muscat. They do drive faster and you do get beeped a fair bit but we did not feel intimidated by the driving at anytime.
Old May 14th 2007, 12:14 pm
Marching on Together

Originally Posted by Candy floss
Hi - when we visited we found the driving no problem - my husband drives to London on the A13 everyday and that is much busier than the roads in Muscat. They do drive faster and you do get beeped a fair bit but we did not feel intimidated by the driving at anytime.
Out of curiosity and before it kills the cat, where do you live now then as it sounds like we are only a few miles apart as we speak.
Old May 14th 2007, 12:18 pm
W10

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller;
As far as safety goes, Oman does have the highest death to car crash ratio in the world, but much of this is due to the numbers from the interior as opposed to Muscat! In general the driving is pretty good but you have to drive offensively and not defensively and be confident!
It's also to do with the fact that none of the buggers wear seat belts.

Driving in Muscat is far gentler than Dubai.

Old May 14th 2007, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Candy floss has a brilliant futureCandy floss has a brilliant futureCandy floss has a brilliant futureCandy floss has a brilliant futureCandy floss has a brilliant futureCandy floss has a brilliant future

Out of curiosity and before it kills the cat, where do you live now then as it sounds like we are only a few miles apart as we speak.
We live in Leigh-on-sea - just outside Southend (hence my user name, my son loves the candy floss!!)
Old May 14th 2007, 12:46 pm
Concierge

We live in Leigh-on-sea - just outside Southend (hence my user name, my son loves the candy floss!!)
lovely area, I did a spell in Billericay a while back. A13 brought back memories!!

BC
Old May 14th 2007, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
lovely area, I did a spell in Billericay a while back. A13 brought back memories!!

BC
It's home but I don't think we shall miss it!!
Old May 14th 2007, 12:51 pm
Concierge

I didn't !!!!
Old May 14th 2007, 1:04 pm
Marching on Together

We are in Colchester, and with the weather today, am definatley not going to miss this at all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.