Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Driving license query Qatar

Driving license query Qatar

Old Jun 20th 2012, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

youngdoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving license query Qatar

I arrived in Doha a few days ago. My RP process has begun and I have had had medical/X-rays done. Can I drive using my british license until my RP is completed? I've heard I can for up to 7 days but am unsure. I also have an international driving permit made from the UK.
Thanks
Old Jun 20th 2012, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Driving license query Qatar

Depending on who you speak to the grace period is 7 to 15 days from your entry date. I believe it is possible to apply for a temporary licence from the traffic department.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 9:37 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I will clear this up for everyone by describing the different licences and what you can and cannot do with them in Doha.

UK Licence,

At the discretion of the Insurance company you may use your UK licence for 7 days provided you are on a business or visit visa only and you have not started the process to get your RP.

IDP (International Driving Permit)

You may use this whilst on Visit or Business Visa to drive a rental car only, you can not drive a privately owned vehicle. As soon as you start your RP Process you must convert to a temporary Qatar Licence.

Temp Qatari Licence,

Anyone can get one of these from madinat Khalifa traffic police, If you are a holder of a full UK Licence you take an eye test take 2 passport pictures and you get your licence (Fee is @QR100).
Even if you are the holder of a UK provisional Licence you drive round the block and the above applies. If you need to drive during your RP process you need to do this. Once you have the temp licence you can drive any insured car.

Full Qatari Licence,

Once you have your RP you can convert for free your temporary licence to a full one and you may drive any insured car. This takes a few minutes.

Liability,

You are solely responsible for making sure you have the correct Licence not the rental companies, they wont care and will tell you anything you want. Should you have an accident and be found to be using the wrong licence you will be liable for all the damages to the rental car and anything else you hit on the way.

Worse case scenario you hit and kill a pedestrian then wreck the rental car and a Landcruiser next to you it could cost you QR600,000. You are in Jail until you pay it.

Don't listen to hear say and my mate did this and that, don't listen to rental car companies who have no liability that is the current rules.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 2:27 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd add that in order to get a temp Qatar licence, also take photocopies of all your documents, passport, visa, uk driving licence (plastic and paper parts, front and back). Also a credit card.

Expect to have to wait for ages, one desk open and 19 closed, and to be sent away at least once for some undisclosed reason (usuallly a mising form of some description).

Try and get it done before Ramadan, otherwise more random things start happening, like closed due to computer failure, closed due to power failure, closed due to [insert excuse here]...

My experience anyway.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 2:32 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to add, expect at least 3 Lebanese Pros, each with 6 applications each, to circumvent the ticketing system and manage to get served before you. As is the case in most queues in Qatar.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 2:45 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I have one of those.....that's why it took a matter of minutes......
Old Jun 21st 2012, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I have one of those.....that's why it took a matter of minutes......
A decent PRO is worth his weight in gold here , i've been very lucky as well , if you've got a doughnut you're gonna get some heartache .
Old Jun 21st 2012, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Forgot to add, expect at least 3 Lebanese Pros, each with 6 applications each, to circumvent the ticketing system and manage to get served before you. As is the case in most queues in Qatar.
My wife renews her temp licence every 30 days never takes more than 5 to 10 minutes - no PRO involved.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

pythonista is an unknown quantity at this point

what's a PRO?
Old Jun 21st 2012, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pythonista
what's a PRO?

I'm sure Millhouse will educate us...
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pythonista
what's a PRO?

Public relations officer - a guy that get everything that matters done , an arabic speaker with connections in all local departments.

Good ones are as rare as hens teeth
Old Jun 27th 2012, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

london_lad has a spectacular aura aboutlondon_lad has a spectacular aura aboutlondon_lad has a spectacular aura about

If someone only has a UK license on Automatic vehicles, is that license also convertible in Qatar?
Old Jun 27th 2012, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by london_lad
If someone only has a UK license on Automatic vehicles, is that license also convertible in Qatar?
Mate , 99.9% of people here couldn't drive sheep to grass and most cars are automatic in any case .

You only need a valid UK license , it doesn't matter if your deaf , dumb or blind as long as your piece of paper is applicable to their tick in the box
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

london_lad has a spectacular aura aboutlondon_lad has a spectacular aura aboutlondon_lad has a spectacular aura about

lol @ durham boy.

Thanks bro
Old Jun 28th 2012, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I will clear this up for everyone by describing the different licences and what you can and cannot do with them in Doha.

UK Licence,

At the discretion of the Insurance company you may use your UK licence for 7 days provided you are on a business or visit visa only and you have not started the process to get your RP.

IDP (International Driving Permit)

You may use this whilst on Visit or Business Visa to drive a rental car only, you can not drive a privately owned vehicle. As soon as you start your RP Process you must convert to a temporary Qatar Licence.

Temp Qatari Licence,

Anyone can get one of these from madinat Khalifa traffic police, If you are a holder of a full UK Licence you take an eye test take 2 passport pictures and you get your licence (Fee is @QR100).
Even if you are the holder of a UK provisional Licence you drive round the block and the above applies. If you need to drive during your RP process you need to do this. Once you have the temp licence you can drive any insured car.

Full Qatari Licence,

Once you have your RP you can convert for free your temporary licence to a full one and you may drive any insured car. This takes a few minutes.

Liability,

You are solely responsible for making sure you have the correct Licence not the rental companies, they wont care and will tell you anything you want. Should you have an accident and be found to be using the wrong licence you will be liable for all the damages to the rental car and anything else you hit on the way.

Worse case scenario you hit and kill a pedestrian then wreck the rental car and a Landcruiser next to you it could cost you QR600,000. You are in Jail until you pay it.

Don't listen to hear say and my mate did this and that, don't listen to rental car companies who have no liability that is the current rules.
The above is the correct procedure, I concurr...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.