Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Driving licence renewal in AD

Driving licence renewal in AD

Old Sep 7th 2009, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all
Default Driving licence renewal in AD

Where do I go? Is it the same place or near where you get your car re-registered?
Anyone any ideas what times it'll be open during Ramadan?
Cheers.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence renewal in AD

hi ya, yep its the same place you got it before the big building, up the steps, although the procedure has changed a bit since you did it 10 years ago. you go to the counter which is hiding behind the coffee place, as a woman there are two q's one on left for the men, and one on right for women. get a number which then is for the eye test, go back to the right hand side and wait for your number, then you do the eye test, pay 20 dhs and then when finished go back to counter and get another number for paperwork, go to the right hand side at the back and then give all your paperwork etc same as before nol etc, if you dont have one there is an arabic profoma behind counter, but they dont inform you of it, and your sponsor can fill in the missing bits like passport and number etc, once you have done paperwork, go back to the seats where you got your eye test, and next door they will take your piccie and then 10 mins or so later call your name for your new card. so compared to "how" it was done 10 years or so ago its so much improved.

not sure of hours but i think it may be 9, when i had to do mine the police man will let you as a woman park inside before the gates open, otherwise you have to wait outside with the others.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

yep its the same place you got it before
Thanks BB but therein lies my problem! It was 10 years ago and I was brand new to AD - I have absolutely no idea where it was! I am just assumming it must be near the car re-reg place??

Opens at 9 and closes at....?
Ta.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hawkhead
Thanks BB but therein lies my problem! It was 10 years ago and I was brand new to AD - I have absolutely no idea where it was! I am just assumming it must be near the car re-reg place??

Opens at 9 and closes at....?
Ta.
Not sure in AD, but in DBX, RTA is doing 8am-2pm during Ramadan.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Klaus.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yeh the traffic compound is between 4th and 2nd and 27th and 25th. if you come in off 27th, then the big building on your right with steps is the driving licence place, if you venture straight on and down towards the other end of the compound, over the T junction, on your right is the one floor building which is the registration/testing place etc. so you need the 2 storey building.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Fab. Thanks BB - I knew I could rely on you!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

if you are really stuck i can always meet you and take you there. i will have to go up there at some point in the next month or so as i need to do the car again. but its easy to find there are only 2 places in the compound.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

It's alright BB, I know where it is now, but thanks for the offer.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Kieran C is an unknown quantity at this point

I was there today altough I have no idea where it was as I am new. Current hours are 9-2 and 8-11.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Kieran. Hope it was a smooth process for you!
Old Sep 9th 2009, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

there we go i sort of thought that they opened an hour later than per normal but still try to get into the car park. they dont let in men tho.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Kieran C is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hawkhead
Thanks Kieran. Hope it was a smooth process for you!
Yes, It was exactly as Busybee2 described, I was in an out in just under the hour. The eye test was quite amusing.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kieran C
Yes, It was exactly as Busybee2 described, I was in an out in just under the hour. The eye test was quite amusing.
its good isnt it, when they do the colour blindess things they keep going until you get them right. but its much better than 10 years ago, the eye test then was the letter E pointing in all directions, and the guy doing the test had a big wooden stick which he pointed to the Es and you had to say which direction etc they were, also you had to go and have your blood taken which could only be done at the blood bank the other side of town (and even though i was pregnant and could prove my blood type they wouldnt have any of it), but you would imagine the little machine that pricks your finger, no way, they go for the bog standard metal needle which they stabbed your finger, it really hurt, and it would take you at least a day to get it, so take it from me much improved.