Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Driving Licence Dubai

Driving Licence Dubai

Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

livbel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Licence Dubai

I am about to sort out my UAE drivers licence - one question I have, do they literally swap your UK one for a UAE (i.e taking away your UK one). If so how does that effect driving in the Uk on trips back?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:44 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence Dubai

course they don't take it away!
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by livbel
I am about to sort out my UAE drivers licence - one question I have, do they literally swap your UK one for a UAE (i.e taking away your UK one). If so how does that effect driving in the Uk on trips back?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Something came up on here recently that for trips back to the UK you should use the driving licence of the country in which you are residing.

I've never seen anything official but this is what i have read.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CeeBee
Something came up on here recently that for trips back to the UK you should use the driving licence of the country in which you are residing.

I've never seen anything official but this is what i have read.
I would suggest trips anywhere you use your UAE licence as opposed to the UK one......will require some seriously joined up thinking for any overseas incurred traffic violations to end up on UAE licence.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:20 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mogs
I would suggest trips anywhere you use your UAE licence as opposed to the UK one......will require some seriously joined up thinking for any overseas incurred traffic violations to end up on UAE licence.
I would be rather surprised if the UAE licence is valid in the UK?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
You can hire a car in the US with it. I've never actually tried using it in the UK, but will do next time I'm there.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:35 pm
Concierge

You can hire a car in the US with it. I've never actually tried using it in the UK, but will do next time I'm there.
I will be very worried if they accept it I have to say
Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:38 pm
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice

I will be very worried if they accept it I have to say
It could explain the parking mishaps outside Harrods, bet its funny as **** at prayer time when the wardens tell em to shift from parking right outside the musk..... pmsl.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 3:33 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by glynster
It could explain the parking mishaps outside Harrods, bet its funny as **** at prayer time when the wardens tell em to shift from parking right outside the musk..... pmsl.
they may as well scrap the British Driving Test if they are letting UAE license holders in!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

I have friends here that hire cars in the UK on their UAE licence however, a few companies i tried would only accept the UAE licence if it was added as a second driver...i.e. you couldn't be the main hirer of the car.

I think Budget accept it though.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

will require some seriously joined up thinking for any overseas incurred traffic violations to end up on UAE licence.
Genius!
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:50 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely right. Mind you, if Plod asks if you have a UK licence then you'd need to be honest.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:06 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

As there is a reciprocal arrangement allowing UK licence holders to get UAE licences without taking a driving test here, the UK governmemnt would look foolish if they then refused to accept UAE licences back home, surely? Not certain if the same applies to other European countries though. My guess is that France would probably insist on an International Driving Licence. Are they easily obtainable?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:39 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
My guess is that France would probably insist on an International Driving Licence. Are they easily obtainable?
4 quid plus postage from the RAC, download the application form from their website. Or on demand at any major Post Office.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 12:36 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

International Driving Permits can be obtained from Emirates Post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.