British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Driving instructors in UAE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/driving-instructors-uae-932907/)

HelenaRose May 28th 2020 3:46 pm

Driving instructors in UAE

I'm writing to ask if it is possible to hire a driving instructor in Al Ain (UAE).

I already have the driving licence, but haven't driven for years. I have been living in a place where public transportation is very good but parking is troublesome. I will move to Al Ain later this year and will probably buy a car. So, I need someone to help me to be re-familiarized with driving especially on the highway.

nonthaburi May 28th 2020 5:19 pm

Re: Driving instructors in UAE

Originally Posted by HelenaRose (Post 12859004)
I'm writing to ask if it is possible to hire a driving instructor in Al Ain (UAE).

I already have the driving licence, but haven't driven for years. I have been living in a place where public transportation is very good but parking is troublesome. I will move to Al Ain later this year and will probably buy a car. So, I need someone to help me to be re-familiarized with driving especially on the highway.

I'm sure you'll be a far better driver than many on the roads as it is.

Why not spend some time driving with a friend or colleague where you are now to remind yourself, or when you get there.

It will all come back to you.

HelenaRose May 29th 2020 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12859058)
I'm sure you'll be a far better driver than many on the roads as it is.

Why not spend some time driving with a friend or colleague where you are now to remind yourself, or when you get there.

It will all come back to you.

Thank you. But I will come to the Middle east alone and may not have friends at the beginning. I'm currently living in HK and most of my friends here do not drive either.

HiHo May 31st 2020 1:42 am

Helen, The quality of driving in the middle east has improved, but remains very poor. It might be worth taking a defensive driving course in the UK if you are concerned although I agree with the prior post you will be fine. PS defensive driving courses are good fun!

HelenaRose Jun 1st 2020 1:39 am

Originally Posted by HiHo (Post 12860005)
Helen, The quality of driving in the middle east has improved, but remains very poor. It might be worth taking a defensive driving course in the UK if you are concerned although I agree with the prior post you will be fine. PS defensive driving courses are good fun!

Thanks for your suggestion! I'm currently in HK and shall practice there.

martinbkk Jun 1st 2020 2:03 am

Going to the UK just for a driving course seems a bit extreme :lol:
I would think that being somewhere like Al Ain, from what I can remember, you probably will want a car.

I think a good course of action though would be to spend your first month or so getting familiar with the situation. If it's your first time in the Middle East you are going to have a lot to contend with. If you've spent a considerable period in Hong Kong prior to the Middle East there are going to be some significant adjustments and not just the nature of driving.

If you are a bit out of practice and can find a suitable school to work with in HK that might prove useful but I would suggest you do this as close to your travel date as sensible so as much as possible is fresh. There are a couple of driving schools that show up in a google search for Al Ain so you might check out their websites to see if one might be suitable.

Have you considered the legal aspects? If you hold a UK licence, or some others you can exchange it for a UAE licence but if your current licence is issued by a different state you may need to take a driving test in UAE. Even if you do hold an acceptable licence, depending on your work position you may need a certificate from your sponsor to obtain a licence.

HiHo Jun 1st 2020 7:16 am

Cars and insurance are as cheap as chips in the middle east to the point of being disposable, you can buy a year old Audi for less than HK$ 50k get the fully loaded GCC wide insurance cover. Wreck it and chuck it when you leave.

New | Used Cars for Sale in UAE | Cars & Machineries Auction

BlackArts Racing

carcajou Jun 7th 2020 9:27 am

Driving instructors are a dime a dozen in the UAE. I don't think Indian or Pakistani licences are accepted and so all those people need driving school when they get to the UAE. Even in the most remote parts of the country you see student driver vehicles from the driving schools around.

Don't be frightened of it. The driving standard is awful but you will be fine.

HelenaRose Jun 7th 2020 10:21 am

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12863155)
Driving instructors are a dime a dozen in the UAE. I don't think Indian or Pakistani licences are accepted and so all those people need driving school when they get to the UAE. Even in the most remote parts of the country you see student driver vehicles from the driving schools around.

Don't be frightened of it. The driving standard is awful but you will be fine.

I'd practice driving before moving to UAE, if the driving standard there is not good. My current driving license can be transferred to the UAE one and no exam is needed.