Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

DRIVING DUBAI to YAS ISLAND--How LONG???

DRIVING DUBAI to YAS ISLAND--How LONG???

Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:25 am
Just Joined

ck1234567 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DRIVING DUBAI to YAS ISLAND--How LONG???

Can someone tell me fairly accurately what it would be like commuting Yas Island/Abu D to Dubai & back daily, during noraml hours? How much time would i need to allow?

Is there good train or bus service also available between the 2 places?

Ty
Old Nov 13th 2009, 4:59 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DRIVING DUBAI to YAS ISLAND--How LONG???

Originally Posted by ck1234567
Can someone tell me fairly accurately what it would be like commuting Yas Island/Abu D to Dubai & back daily, during noraml hours? How much time would i need to allow?

Is there good train or bus service also available between the 2 places?

Ty
Ohh, stop it....
Old Nov 13th 2009, 5:27 am
Just Joined

UniQue_UAE is an unknown quantity at this point

Normaly takes about one hour and 30 minutes from AD to Dubai,
but with new road it takes about 20 minutes less
Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by UniQue_UAE
Normaly takes about one hour and 30 minutes from AD to Dubai,
but with new road it takes about 20 minutes less
ok so 60-75 minutes w/ the good road & decent rental. Looks like gas is cheap. Now i gotta hope they drive on the right side of the street, but fear it's like UK & Thailand......more to learn. tyvvm
Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

If you love in the Marina then it is about 50-60 minutes commuting to Yas Island. Only major problem is the fog you get regularly in the winter (as well as the litany of stupid drivers).
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

UniQue_UAE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ck1234567
ok so 60-75 minutes w/ the good road & decent rental. Looks like gas is cheap. Now i gotta hope they drive on the right side of the street, but fear it's like UK & Thailand......more to learn. tyvvm
Because if u go around the city is getting much wores ... In Yas road there is no traffic and traffic lights
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:15 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benzonar
If you love in the Marina then it is about 50-60 minutes commuting to Yas Island. Only major problem is the fog you get regularly in the winter (as well as the litany of stupid drivers).
I think he is kinda hoping to get his loving in AbDab.......
Old Nov 14th 2009, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

markhighpeak is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UniQue_UAE
Because if u go around the city is getting much wores ... In Yas road there is no traffic and traffic lights
No traffic lights, I don't think so, the place is full of them. The new E11 is a good road, no lights on there.

Anyway, you asked from Dubai to Yas, say 1 hour tops, the fog is very dangerous, but you will only get about 1 month of this spread over 2-3 months, be very afraid, unless you use your force shield, which out here means putting your hazard lights on and you can still drive at 200kph+

Can I ask what job you are doing on Yas, as I thought everything had come to a stop
Old Nov 14th 2009, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markhighpeak

Can I ask what job you are doing on Yas, as I thought everything had come to a stop
You mean apart from
Ferrari World, Ikea, Yas Mall, Yas Links Golf, DLP issues, Facilities Management of the island, infrastructure works etc
Old Nov 15th 2009, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

markhighpeak is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by benzonar
You mean apart from
Ferrari World, Ikea, Yas Mall, Yas Links Golf, DLP issues, Facilities Management of the island, infrastructure works etc
Ferrari World, shell complete, fit out to do, Yas Mall and Ikea on hold, Golf Course complete, roads complete. As it stands the island has come to a complete stop. I should know I'm on there every day, and there is just no traffic whatsoever.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by markhighpeak
Ferrari World, shell complete, fit out to do, Yas Mall and Ikea on hold, Golf Course complete, roads complete. As it stands the island has come to a complete stop. I should know I'm on there every day, and there is just no traffic whatsoever.
Well not entirely accurate.

There are still a few bits of road to do, most notably behind the hotel towards the southern pump station. STP and Irrigation pump station still being built. Storm water pump stations still to be done. Some streetscaping still being done as well as Golf Plaza.

Yacht Club still being fitted out. Golf course not exactly complete, still some work going on.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 10:16 am
Just Joined

So, with the new roadway I can expect comfortably to be able to make the Dubai-Yas Island drive in 75 minutes?

Any advice on an economical accomodation in or around Khalifa City?

Am expecting to fly into dubai for 4 days next week. Is the area in and around Dubai most worth exploring? Since i will have a car, and uae looks relatively small, I wish to drive around thr country to see whatever worthwhile sites there are to see, including the best beaches.

Seems in Dubai decent rooms or apartments can be had for 30-40euro/nite, so I plan to make that my base, and try to figure out worthwhile daytrips from there.

tyvm...