Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Driving from Dubai to Muscat

Driving from Dubai to Muscat

Old May 3rd 2010, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

samSG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving from Dubai to Muscat

So I find myself with some Skywards mileage that can't bring me anywhere other than Dubai. I've been to Dubai a dozen times and it's getting a bit boring so I intend on renting a car from Dubai and driving over to Muscat.

I've been reading up and it seems like it will be a 4-5 hour drive and the border crossing both ways doesn't seem to be a big problem as I do not require a visa. I read that no many car rental companies allow you to bring their cars across the border. Any rental company to recommend who does allow it?

Lastly, what are some must-see attractions along the way and in Muscat? Is Musandam worth a diversion?

I'm doing this alone, by the way...
Old May 3rd 2010, 11:07 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving from Dubai to Muscat

Suggest you look at a map, pal. Musandam and Muscat are many many k apart and going from one to the other can definitely not be defined as a 'diversion'.
Old May 4th 2010, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

irs not a bad drove from Dubai to Muscat. Roads pretty good.
not a great deal to see or do en-route though
Old May 4th 2010, 6:32 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

I did the drive from Dubai to Muscat last year and it was pleasant enough although as others have stated there is not much to see. I drive fairly quickly and completed it in just over 4.5 hours to the Al Bustan Palace Hotel.

One thing I would check is whether you can actually take a hire car over the border as I thought the rentals were UAE only.

Have a great trip
Old May 4th 2010, 9:28 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheShed View Post
I did the drive from Dubai to Muscat last year and it was pleasant enough although as others have stated there is not much to see. I drive fairly quickly and completed it in just over 4.5 hours to the Al Bustan Palace Hotel.

One thing I would check is whether you can actually take a hire car over the border as I thought the rentals were UAE only.

Have a great trip
Go to Sharjah and fly to Muscat on AirAsia- if you book early it is pretty cheap. Hire a car form Muscat and do some road trips. Lots of places depending on how long you are planning to be in Muscat.
Old May 6th 2010, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

familyguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a buddy who visited me from Dubai in a rental car. He had to take out extra insurance to bring the car into Oman, which was pretty expensive, until the rental guy suggested getting the insurance from the border crossing as there is an insurance shop there and it is cheaper.

Ive done the drive several times, its boring on your own, and the border crossing can take 10 minutes or 2.5 hours.

Fly Dubai has just started flying from Dubai Terminal 2 to Muscat, as well as Air Arabia and Swiss.