British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Driving Dubai to London via Iraq & Iran (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/driving-dubai-london-via-iraq-iran-857461/)

cba May 2nd 2015 6:57 pm

Driving Dubai to London via Iraq & Iran

Hi all,

I'm planning a drive from Dubai to London in August and the route i am considering includes a short (roughly 70-80km) transit through Iraq passing from the Safwan Kuwait border, through Basrah City, to the Shalamche Iranian border crossing.

I plan to sort out a tourist visa in advance as i read that the alternative $40 'visa on arrival' is only possible in the Kurdistan region. If anyone knows contrary please tell as i'd prefer to obtain a visa on arrival at the Safwan border.

To anyone who lives or works in Basrah- is it realistically foreseeable that I will face issues along this short drive? My main concern is the bridge crossing over the 'Arvand Rood' river Basrah since there only appears to be one bridge which I would imagine has checkpoints at each end. I don't know how friendly the checkpoint hosts would be?

My plan is to drive straight through border to border in under an hour without stopping and drawing attention. I'll be driving an old early 90's Mercedes with Dubai plates.

Any info from somebody living in the city or who has done a similar road trip would be appreciated! Would prefer to follow someone through who knows the area but I don't know anyone there. Feel free to inbox.

* Upon reaching the Iran where danger will be less prevalent, I will then drive almost 1200km up to the Esendere Turkish border. There is of course the issue of obtaining an Iran tourist visa on a British passport. I've heard this is 'not possible' without a tour guide or group for US, UK or Canadian passports. Info on this would also be appreciated!

Cheers :regular_smile:

co durham boy May 3rd 2015 7:06 am

Re: Driving Dubai to London via Iraq & Iran

Originally Posted by cba (Post 11635127)
Hi all,

I'm planning a drive from Dubai to London in August and the route i am considering includes a short (roughly 70-80km) transit through Iraq passing from the Safwan Kuwait border, through Basrah City, to the Shalamche Iranian border crossing.

I plan to sort out a tourist visa in advance as i read that the alternative $40 'visa on arrival' is only possible in the Kurdistan region. If anyone knows contrary please tell as i'd prefer to obtain a visa on arrival at the Safwan border.

To anyone who lives or works in Basrah- is it realistically foreseeable that I will face issues along this short drive? My main concern is the bridge crossing over the 'Arvand Rood' river Basrah since there only appears to be one bridge which I would imagine has checkpoints at each end. I don't know how friendly the checkpoint hosts would be?

My plan is to drive straight through border to border in under an hour without stopping and drawing attention. I'll be driving an old early 90's Mercedes with Dubai plates.

Any info from somebody living in the city or who has done a similar road trip would be appreciated! Would prefer to follow someone through who knows the area but I don't know anyone there. Feel free to inbox.

* Upon reaching the Iran where danger will be less prevalent, I will then drive almost 1200km up to the Esendere Turkish border. There is of course the issue of obtaining an Iran tourist visa on a British passport. I've heard this is 'not possible' without a tour guide or group for US, UK or Canadian passports. Info on this would also be appreciated!

Take plenty of ammo

maddy2015 May 6th 2015 12:24 pm

All the best for you bro, recently an Indian family of five has decided to embark on one of the most interesting expedition from Bangalore to Paris on a Fiat Linea

Millhouse May 6th 2015 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by cba (Post 11635127)
Hi all,

Very tough. I would go via Egypt and Saudi.

Iran will be next to impossible to get through.

cba May 6th 2015 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11638419)
Very tough. I would go via Egypt and Saudi.

Iran will be next to impossible to get through.

Thanks for the response- can you elaborate on why Iran would be such a challenge?

flares May 6th 2015 7:41 pm

Read 'they saddle dogs'

http://britishexpats.com/forum/middl...e-dogs-458401/

cba May 7th 2015 5:01 am

Originally Posted by flares (Post 11638845)

Thanks, will do

Millhouse May 7th 2015 8:05 am

Originally Posted by cba (Post 11638455)
Thanks for the response- can you elaborate on why Iran would be such a challenge?

Visas etc really. I know people with visas being turned away at the border.

If you are european it would be ok, british or amercian... tricky.

Would be an amazing journey. Would love to do it. Much more interesting that Egypt-Saudi route

cba May 7th 2015 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11639261)
Visas etc really. I know people with visas being turned away at the border.

If you are european it would be ok, british or amercian... tricky.

Would be an amazing journey. Would love to do it. Much more interesting that Egypt-Saudi route

Ah yes the whole British passport thing... I'm confused as to whether a British passport is under quite the same rules as a USA passport regarding tourism. Although I emailed the Iranian visa agency asking how to get a visa, and the requirements needed to take a car through in under 3 days. They bluntly responded with a single sentence saying you have to go on a guided tour which is obviously not feasible and doesn't make sense in a car or even address the matter driving one through. I suppose some Iranian Wasta will be required as with most things Middle East.

Also need to find a solid answer about whether a Carnet De Passage will be required for Iran would mean shelling out £350 or 2000aed rather. Opinions differ over whether or not this is required; and as with all bureaucracy in this region- nothing is set in stone, or particularly clear for that matter.

What is the Saudi Egypt route? I'm assuming it would involve a Ferry from Egypt to Turkey? I'm aiming to spend as little as necessary on this journey as it will likely be for Charity, so wanted to avoid car Ferries as they're pretty expensive from what I understand.

Millhouse May 7th 2015 10:35 am

Originally Posted by cba (Post 11639336)
Ah yes the whole British passport thing... I'm confused as to whether a British passport is under quite the same rules as a USA passport regarding tourism. Although I emailed the Iranian visa agency asking how to get a visa, and the requirements needed to take a car through in under 3 days. They bluntly responded with a single sentence saying you have to go on a guided tour which is obviously not feasible and doesn't make sense in a car or even address the matter driving one through. I suppose some Iranian Wasta will be required as with most things Middle East.

Also need to find a solid answer about whether a Carnet De Passage will be required for Iran would mean shelling out £350 or 2000aed rather. Opinions differ over whether or not this is required; and as with all bureaucracy in this region- nothing is set in stone, or particularly clear for that matter.

What is the Saudi Egypt route? I'm assuming it would involve a Ferry from Egypt to Turkey? I'm aiming to spend as little as necessary on this journey as it will likely be for Charity, so wanted to avoid car Ferries as they're pretty expensive from what I understand.

I think the red bit sums it up, sadly.

Saudi-Egypt would involve taking a ferry to Antalyia (I guess). Or you could go via Libya and traffic a few people over in the process and make some money out of it :) It's not exactly a holiday in the Sini right now though either.

Dubaiexile May 7th 2015 3:52 pm

Try contacting the people at this site;

Caravanistan View topic - Iran -driving through with own vehicle and getting a visa

themajor May 7th 2015 4:07 pm

It would appear that living in the UAE has disturbed your mind. It is not safe to go via the route that you want to. Just look on any UK Govt web site for the reasons why. ISIS will be reading this as well. You would be much better going Saudi-Egypt-Ferry to Cyprus-ferry to Turkey and then drive on from there.

Good Luck

cba May 7th 2015 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile (Post 11639621)

Thank you- this is very helpful. Didn't find this on google searches.

Originally Posted by themajor (Post 11639633)
It would appear that living in the UAE has disturbed your mind. It is not safe to go via the route that you want to. Just look on any UK Govt web site for the reasons why. ISIS will be reading this as well. You would be much better going Saudi-Egypt-Ferry to Cyprus-ferry to Turkey and then drive on from there.

Good Luck

From what I understand Basrah is relatively safe comparatively speaking. ISIS are north of Baghdad and unless they take it over which is unlikely, anywhere below will remain unaffected. I wouldn't recommend a holiday in Basrah, but as of now a quick in and out from the Kuwait border to Iran in under an hour of driving should be doable. Not planning to stop and walk around.

And hey, this will be for charity and 'Driving through Iraq' definitely sounds more appealing as a fundraiser IMO.

flares May 7th 2015 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11639364)
I think the red bit sums it up, sadly.

Saudi-Egypt would involve taking a ferry to Antalyia (I guess). Or you could go via Libya and traffic a few people over in the process and make some money out of it :) It's not exactly a holiday in the Sini right now though either.

The guy in they saddle dogs did Egypt to Italy I think

OleJanx May 7th 2015 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by flares (Post 11639938)
The guy in they saddle dogs did Egypt to Italy I think

Egypt - Greece - Italy.