Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Driving Dubai to Doha

Driving Dubai to Doha

Old Apr 11th 2008, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

fritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nicefritztastic is just really nice
Default Driving Dubai to Doha

Okay, I've read posts on here about driving from Dubai to Doha, and it seems the majority of people suggest flying is the better option. Since that post was closed, I thought to start a new one, as I'm interested in making the drive.

Is the reason people are opposed to the drive primarily because of the hassles at the Saudi border (visit visa + time wasted)? Also, cannot I being my girlfriend if we're not married?

It doesn't seem to be that long of a drive--maybe 6 hours?--and, having living the States, I grew accustomed to "roadtrips."

Any advice on the drive is appreciated.

Also, I understand Doha isn't the most happening place, but, I've never been there and have been enjoying exploring the area since I've arrived in Dubai--even if its only to say I've been there.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!!
Old Apr 11th 2008, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Dubai to Doha

I'd really just fly there. Flights are cheap, it takes half an hour and there is no hassle factor.
If you are that determined to do some driving, just hire a car from the airport.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

One thing about driving to Qatar from the UAE is that you have to pass through Saudi Arabia to get there, the 2 countries are not physically attached to each other (yet).
You can only enter Saudi if you have a visa. Saudi Arabia is not like the Qatar or Bahrain where you buy a visa at the border for Saudi you have to have the visa in your passport, for that you need a sponsor and at least a weeks notice. You will need a multiple entry Saudi visa as presumably you would want to bring your car back.
Flying is so much easier
Old Apr 14th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vimto
One thing about driving to Qatar from the UAE is that you have to pass through Saudi Arabia to get there, the 2 countries are not physically attached to each other (yet).
You can only enter Saudi if you have a visa. Saudi Arabia is not like the Qatar or Bahrain where you buy a visa at the border for Saudi you have to have the visa in your passport, for that you need a sponsor and at least a weeks notice. You will need a multiple entry Saudi visa as presumably you would want to bring your car back.
Flying is so much easier
i think there is dispensation for people travelling by land onwards through KSA, some sort of transit visa system, whereby you don't need the sponsor etc...