Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Driving from Dubai to Abu Dhabi for cricket. Any tips?

Driving from Dubai to Abu Dhabi for cricket. Any tips?

Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:16 pm
FAX
Just Joined

FAX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving from Dubai to Abu Dhabi for cricket. Any tips?

Hi all,

I'm driving some friends tomorrow from Dubai to watch the cricket match in Abu Dhabi. First time ever in Abu Dhabi so am trying to work out some routes online, unfortunately I can't find any UK equivalents of the AA route planner or RAC route planner service which is fantastic. Our van is not fitted with a sat nav either.

Can anyone help me work out some routes online. So far can only get limited joy from Google Earth (seeing the venue) but can't see any route in after leaving Sheikh Zayed Road. Also is the stadium is well sign-posted after entering Abu Dhabi, or is there any particular road I should take?

Finally what's the parking like at the venue during match days? Should we aim to leave early in case it's packed?

Thanks all
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:22 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving from Dubai to Abu Dhabi for cricket. Any tips?

So is it Pakistan v West Indies again? You won't be able to miss the stadium so don't worry.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:27 pm
FAX
Just Joined

FAX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FAX
Hi all,

I'm driving some friends tomorrow from Dubai to watch the cricket match in Abu Dhabi. First time ever in Abu Dhabi so am trying to work out some routes online, unfortunately I can't find any UK equivalents of the AA route planner or RAC route planner service which is fantastic. Our van is not fitted with a sat nav either.

Can anyone help me work out some routes online. So far can only get limited joy from Google Earth (seeing the venue) but can't see any route in after leaving Sheikh Zayed Road. Also is the stadium is well sign-posted after entering Abu Dhabi, or is there any particular road I should take?

Finally what's the parking like at the venue during match days? Should we aim to leave early in case it's packed?

Thanks all
Oh yes, one other thing, is there anywhere recommend for late night eating in Abu Dhabi? Indian or Lebanese would be great but my friends are happy with all types of cuisine as long as the food is good and they don't have stringent dress codes. I don't mind booking in advance either
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

right directions from dubai to the cricket stadium.

come down the main road, past rahba hospital on your right hand side, the area is then called shahama the road does a big right hand turn (mosque on left) this road is then called Channel St, go past Al Bahia turn, and then you will come up to the roadworks for yas island etc (aldar) the next big exit will be signed to Khalifa City and the airport (this is by the big aldar signpost on right hand side) go down to the roundabout under the main road and turn left. I would suggest that you go up to the airport and join the main road again this road will be signed abu dhabi, its called 30th st/kaleej al arabi/mussafah road/arabian gulf road (all its various names) and take that road past khalifa city a(north) on your right hand side, the cricket stadium is just at the far end of kca(you will see it) and just before the main flyover bridges there is a right hand turn, and then a roundabout you need to turn immediately left, there is a new sign, they have just put down a proper road (the stadium has only been built for say 4 years or so and now there is a proper road) and the car parks dont know where they are but they will be the sand around the stadium, i dont believe it will be a problem. if you miss this turn you need to take a right and join the main road, but the entrance on this side is for vip's only and you will not be allowed to enter that way i am guessing.

there is another road up by raha beach hotel/raha beach but its more complicated if you dont know the area and i dont suppose the signs will be there to help you.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

well unless you want to travel into abu dhabi which is a fair trek then i would suggest you to go mussafah there is a chinese/wimpy/kfc/pizza hut and many other local ones as well.