Drivers Licence

Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drivers Licence

Originally Posted by lisalou24
Ok great, sorry!

I am assuming that my boss wants to start the process of getting visa sorted ASAP from what he has told me, so think that it will be pointless as visa will be processing probably before my UK driving licence has even arrived lol, as starting my job a week later after landing.

Also want to get bank account sorted too, so guess will need the visa in place too for this before can be opened? Or can they open in whilst in process to? I believe I need a letter of employment too? I will probably open the same bank account that my employer banks with to make it easier, which is "Emirates NBD" which I have also heard are one of the better banks?! (of course if thats at all possible with dubai banks lol)
banks usually they need 3 months salary slips! yes if you bank with employers bank it may be easier, may be the word tho. i cant help you with the procedure now, as we opened ours 12 years ago, with adcb which have been better than a lot of the local banks here. dont go with hsbc, try some of the islamic banks. nbad are good(ish). yes you will need a letter from company for a lot of things.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

For bank account you will need residents visa, salary certificate letter of no objection. I bank with HSBC out here purely to be with an international (even though they are franchises). A few months ago a couple of regional banks disappeared (wasn't really paying attention so onot sure what happened) so just think my money is safer with an international! Also don't keep your money here, as soon as you can transfer it to an offshore account. If anything happens to you you have little rights to your money if its banked here. There are loads of previous posts which go into more details if you want to read up.

Until you get your bank account sorted they will probably pay you by cheque which you can cash at the bank which issues the cheques.

It took me 5 weeks to set up a bank account here once I had my visa as generally they are shite at everything! Whatever you do do not give your mob number to anyone from RAKBANK as they are still calling me 8 months later even though I've told them I'm not interested, I've got an account with someone else, I'm dead etc.

Everything takes ages! be patient and its all fine but takes quite a bit of getting used to but no point stressing out as it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.

My visa took 3 months in total as it was in process before I moved out, Ramadan seems to delay everything as well....

Try to get your PRO to do as much for you as possible!
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

oh yeh ramadan is a happening middle of august, and things stop
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

lisalou24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys! wow was told by both my employer and hubbys employer it usually takes 1-2 weeks lol (thought this might be a little optimistic). Heard it was faster if you open an account who your employer banks with?

Also employer said as in the Free Zone they have to do visas by 15 days? Again, I guess its not a rule that they have to, and will work as fast as they want!?!

3 months jesus! that is ridiculous lol. We out on 11th July so will hopefully be done before ramadan!!

My hubbys company are processing his visa (or starting the ball rolling this side), photos, education cert, passport etc been sent off, in hope that it might get done quicker! Have to start the ball rolling with kids once we get out there, as have to do this ourselves, hubbys boss done his daughters last year himself, so is going to help us and point us in the right direction for that too.

But need banks sorted ASAP as will need cheques for rent and schooling lol. Rent we are doing on a month by month basis, so guess can give cash to him. and school don't have to pay til 13th Sept, so hopefully bank will be sorted by then as that will be 2 months
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lisalou24
Thanks guys! wow was told by both my employer and hubbys employer it usually takes 1-2 weeks lol (thought this might be a little optimistic). Heard it was faster if you open an account who your employer banks with?

Also employer said as in the Free Zone they have to do visas by 15 days? Again, I guess its not a rule that they have to, and will work as fast as they want!?!

3 months jesus! that is ridiculous lol. We out on 11th July so will hopefully be done before ramadan!!

My hubbys company are processing his visa (or starting the ball rolling this side), photos, education cert, passport etc been sent off, in hope that it might get done quicker! Have to start the ball rolling with kids once we get out there, as have to do this ourselves, hubbys boss done his daughters last year himself, so is going to help us and point us in the right direction for that too.

But need banks sorted ASAP as will need cheques for rent and schooling lol. Rent we are doing on a month by month basis, so guess can give cash to him. and school don't have to pay til 13th Sept, so hopefully bank will be sorted by then as that will be 2 months
"inshahal"
Old Jun 17th 2010, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

It all really depends on your company and PRO. When I started in Dubai I had my visa stamped in my passport after I was in the country for exactly 2 weeks and opened my bank account with NBD the next day while receiving my debit/creditcards by Aramex a few days after that. The PRO was amazing, got everything sorted for me, even the liquor license and he went with me to exchange my driving license (5 minutes work)! I've never had any bad experiences with any government authority in Dubai (knock wood).

On the other hand, another company I worked for in another emirates, took 2 months for my residence to process, on average 2 weeks to get a no objection letter for just about anything, longer if it was for something "out of the ordinary", like applying for a driving license. This guy was a bloody idiot, even when you would see him walking he would remind you of Mr. Bean.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 8:58 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Re bank a/c, after surviving here for a year and a bit without one, I decided to open one. ADCB were good: guy came round to my flat in the evening, filled out all the forms, too a copy of my passport and salary slip, 3 days later the a/c was open and the welcome pack came a few days after that.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Euc-
It all really depends on your company and PRO. When I started in Dubai I had my visa stamped in my passport after I was in the country for exactly 2 weeks and opened my bank account with NBD the next day while receiving my debit/creditcards by Aramex a few days after that. The PRO was amazing, got everything sorted for me, even the liquor license and he went with me to exchange my driving license (5 minutes work)! I've never had any bad experiences with any government authority in Dubai (knock wood).

On the other hand, another company I worked for in another emirates, took 2 months for my residence to process, on average 2 weeks to get a no objection letter for just about anything, longer if it was for something "out of the ordinary", like applying for a driving license. This guy was a bloody idiot, even when you would see him walking he would remind you of Mr. Bean.
Wow what sounds really smooth with your PRO.

Mr Bean lol - can just imagine!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Re bank a/c, after surviving here for a year and a bit without one, I decided to open one. ADCB were good: guy came round to my flat in the evening, filled out all the forms, too a copy of my passport and salary slip, 3 days later the a/c was open and the welcome pack came a few days after that.
Wow that was quick too!! Will make a note of them.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

RubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant future

I opened a bank account with my employers bank (HSBC) without a visa and within days of arriving. I needed my passport and a salary certificate from my employer which is just a stamped (they love stamps here) letter stating I was employed and would earn x AED per month. Your employer will know about this.

Oh, and you need a letter from your Mum....only joking, for now!!!!