Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

drinking partners needed in bahrain

drinking partners needed in bahrain

Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:13 am
Just Joined

slpears3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default drinking partners needed in bahrain

im moving to bahrain from just outside manchester probably the end of september to work for bapco, so will be living in awali. ive been over for my interview but not had chance to go into manama, or drive over there which im not looking forward to. met a few people who work for bapco but there seemed to be a serious lack of youngish people (hope i dont offend all the people ill be living near!) im moving on my own so need all the help i can get, and if anyone has got a death wish you can be 1 of my passengers as i attempt to drive.

so if anyone fancies meeting up when i get there and showing me the ropes (ie where the best bars and clubs are) or just general advice, give me an email, as long as your not a mass murderer!

sarahxxx
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: drinking partners needed in bahrain

Im nowhere near you....

but welcome to BE - someone local will be along soon enough
Old Jul 25th 2007, 5:54 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

hiya SLP, I have been to Awali a few times, nice place! had friends living there a while back. Most of the Brits out there are member of the Dilmun Club - find out about and join, also the Rugby Club is popular. It won't take you long to find a niche. Sport is a good way to meet people too, do you play golf?? I know there is a big golfing community at the sand golf course, can't remember it's name though.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 6:09 am
Just Joined

slpears3 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for that ill have a look for the dilmun club. what did your friends think of awali? did they work for bapco and what did think of the company? sorry so many questions! ive got a mate who lives in dubai so been there a few times so can always rely on her for weekend entertainment but would be good to meet people in and outside of awali.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 6:12 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slpears3
thanks for that ill have a look for the dilmun club. what did your friends think of awali? did they work for bapco and what did think of the company? sorry so many questions! ive got a mate who lives in dubai so been there a few times so can always rely on her for weekend entertainment but would be good to meet people in and outside of awali.
yes they were with Bapco, for quite a while but they were in their forties with two kids. Awali is a bit out of the way but if I remember rightly there is a good club on the compound. We went for a drink there one night. I am sure you will be fine in Bahrain. Just make sure you check out the Dilmun Club.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 8:09 am
Greying Member

Rog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of lightRog_Rams is a glorious beacon of light

I say young lady. This is a quite alarming message. You seem to be under the impression that you are coming to Bahrain for a permanent holiday! Driving to and from various bars and clubs? Drinking? Meeting people? Enjoying yourself? What an attitude! What an expectation!

You should surely be focusing on your work, developing your career, knuckling down and supporting your new company?

Leave the drinking, partying and enjoying life stuff to the old farts that live here already, that's what I say.

But, if you do insist on following the road of drunken debauchery, I propose that you join the Awali hot tub set, where all your questions can be answered in a cross-generational setting.

Roger
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

You are going to have a fandabydozy time in Bahrain and any place is what you make it. We were active members of our local rugby club in Saudi Arabia and we went on a long weekend to Bahrain to the rugby club there for a weekend of rugby (yeah right) well there was rugby played and it was great but also visited local refreshment establishments one of them was a converted church, yes I kid you not. Friendships made within work are fine but get out there and make friends with absolutely no work similarities. Enjoy Manama but dont get lost in all the little back alleys in the souqs. Enjoy
Old Jul 25th 2007, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Amazing Grace;5103144]one of them was a converted church,QUOTE]

sounds like Aberdeen!!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:23 am
Banned

Modernian is a name known to allModernian is a name known to allModernian is a name known to allModernian is a name known to allModernian is a name known to allModernian is a name known to allModernian is a name known to allModernian is a name known to allModernian is a name known to allModernian is a name known to allModernian is a name known to all

Sarah,

Good luck in Bahrain - as previous replies have suggested, it's a fun place - it's small enough to make you feel you belong pretty quickly, but big enough so you are not treading on each other's toes all the time. I can confirm the rugby club is a good social centre, and very female-friendly.

A word of warning - Bahrain is mostly a VERY safe place for single young women but be aware that Bahrain is also known for young "professional" women of a slightly different persuasion. There are a few bars that you would not choose to visit alone, if you follow me.

Most of that sort of thing is found at the "lower price end" of the hotel market, so be warned and take great care.

If you'd like more guidance, let me know.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:56 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Modernian
Sarah,

Good luck in Bahrain - as previous replies have suggested, it's a fun place - it's small enough to make you feel you belong pretty quickly, but big enough so you are not treading on each other's toes all the time. I can confirm the rugby club is a good social centre, and very female-friendly.

A word of warning - Bahrain is mostly a VERY safe place for single young women but be aware that Bahrain is also known for young "professional" women of a slightly different persuasion. There are a few bars that you would not choose to visit alone, if you follow me.

Most of that sort of thing is found at the "lower price end" of the hotel market, so be warned and take great care.

If you'd like more guidance, let me know.
yes watch out for the hookers !
Old Jul 27th 2007, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

HannahMW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya Sarah,

About the driving... I arrived from the UK a couple of weeks ago and plucked up the courage to start driving this week - unbelievably, it's fine. It looks a lot more daunting than it actually feels and the chaos, when it does happen, is at least quite slow!

We're based in Manama but if you fancy a guide around pubs/clubs here one night drop us an email nearer the time.

Hannah xxx
Old Jul 27th 2007, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all
Talking Re: drinking partners needed in bahrain

Unfortunately my drinking days are mostly behind me if the head on me right now is any indication... Brunches are always dangerous!!! Especially when you come home to a baby who decides to stay awake all night, hence the time of reply. Awali is further out but it is a good little community within itself. The people out there are very friendly and without a doubt will take you under their wing..

Bahrain, as many others have said, is what you make of it. When I arrived, was single and carefree, going out every night etc. The social life here is quite good really.

Drop a line if you like, I live in Riffa (not far from Awali) so would be happy to pick you up and take you for a coffee or something just to get you out of Awali for a bit if you feel the need..
Old Jul 28th 2007, 12:16 am
W10

Bap Co

sounds like the breast place in the world to work!!

Old Jul 28th 2007, 12:19 am
Viva la revolucion..

zamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to behold

and im guessing we're talking Bahrain here?
Old Jul 28th 2007, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

skeleton has much to be proud ofskeleton has much to be proud ofskeleton has much to be proud ofskeleton has much to be proud ofskeleton has much to be proud ofskeleton has much to be proud ofskeleton has much to be proud ofskeleton has much to be proud ofskeleton has much to be proud ofskeleton has much to be proud ofskeleton has much to be proud of

Cheers man,I am near baharain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.