British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Drink Driving conviction UK -Qatar showstopper? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/drink-driving-conviction-uk-qatar-showstopper-757158/)

Katdubai65 May 4th 2012 10:44 am

Drink Driving conviction UK -Qatar showstopper?

Hello,

I have a drink driving conviction in the UK, no other Criminal Record...is that a show stopper for as residence visa in Qatar? I understand a Criminal Record needs to be provided.

Grateful for any advise before I take my job application any further.

Kat

abbey08 May 4th 2012 10:46 am

Re: Drink Driving conviction UK -Qatar showstopper?

How long ago was the conviction and how long was the ban.

Katdubai65 May 4th 2012 10:48 am

one year ban , reduced to 9 month...less than a year ago.....

abbey08 May 4th 2012 10:59 am

I think you will struggle to conceal the conviction to be honest as the conviction is not spent. You can apply for a basic disclsoure through disclosure scotland http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/ - this is the only way an individual can get a basic disclosure in the UK, you don't need to be scottish.

If it shows up on the disclosure certificate they send you it will show up everywhere else, if not, you can use this as your UK criminal check for Qatar as previous posters have done.

Its not an absolute certainty that you will not be able to get in to Qatar if your conviction cannot be concealed but it will be tricky. It is also going to depend on who you are working for e.g government or private sector. If you are using a recruiter then take their advice as I sure they will have the experience to answer the question conclusively.

PS Its a s**t hole anyway so if you dont get in its probably a blessing.

Good luck :thumbup:

Oyibopeppeh May 4th 2012 11:04 am

For driving disqualifications, the conviction becomes "spent" once the disqualification period has finished. For fines however, the rehabilitation period is 5 years.

Katdubai65 May 4th 2012 11:05 am

Thanks for your response.
It is s*** in the UK too at the moment, so , can't be much worse ;-)

abbey08 May 4th 2012 11:14 am

We are just a little cynical about Doha - to be honest there is a lot of work in the construction sector and a bit of money to be made if you find the right job. Anything related to the world cup 2022, metro or government roads and utilities projects are probably some of the safest projects in the world right now in terms of money to build them and them actually doing the work.

My advice would be check the disclosure scotland angle and see where you are.

Katdubai65 May 4th 2012 11:42 am

A conviction with fine is 5 years...never regretted a glass of wine more ;-(

Katdubai65 May 4th 2012 11:43 am

5 years till it is 'spent' I meant to say..

OleJanx May 4th 2012 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Katdubai65 (Post 10041218)
5 years till it is 'spent' I meant to say..

Be careful, though. A DR10 stays on a British licence 11 years, and might make it tricky to swap for a local licence in some countries.

gottheTshirt May 4th 2012 3:10 pm

I don't know anyone who has actually needed to submit a criminal record report. I believe they are only needed if you are working in a government department or your Asian. I got my RP 3 months ago without anyone asking for a criminal record check.

Qatar is great - love it here - just spent a week in the rain in UK where everybody is as miserable as hell, couldn't wait to get back.

paulgw May 4th 2012 4:32 pm

Having just been offered a couple of jobs in the Middle East, it is my understanding that only Kuwait requires disclosure of criminal convictions.

Johnnyboy11 May 5th 2012 4:09 am

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt (Post 10041543)
I don't know anyone who has actually needed to submit a criminal record report. I believe they are only needed if you are working in a government department or your Asian. I got my RP 3 months ago without anyone asking for a criminal record check.

Qatar is great - love it here - just spent a week in the rain in UK where everybody is as miserable as hell, couldn't wait to get back.

Well I definately had to submit a CRC in Qatar, moving from the private sector to government job. Others making the same move also had to submit a CRC.

[J]

co durham boy May 6th 2012 4:07 am

It totally depends on who and what you're working for .

Toon_army May 6th 2012 5:55 am

I work for a government oil & gas company and never needed to submit a criminal record report for my RP, however I know some teachers needed to. BTW, Doha is not too bad, there are over 150k Brits & over 100k US nationals in Qatar! I don't think they would've stayed if it was that bad!