British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Don't give out your mobile number! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dont-give-out-your-mobile-number-683167/)

ctfc Aug 29th 2010 6:22 am

Don't give out your mobile number!

Apparently this is now also a criminal offence

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...08-28-1.284538

Avarice Aug 29th 2010 7:41 am

Re: Don't give out your mobile number!

Originally Posted by ctfc (Post 8810313)
Apparently this is now also a criminal offence

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...08-28-1.284538

You know what i dont know what to think of this one to be honest. I mean if i found a note on my car saying "i need to know you" id be failry disturbed but this is most certainly a case of broken english. I dont think deportation for this is a fitting punishment however i constantly get males adding me on facebook and wanting to meet me etc from pakistan and lybia etc all the time (for some reason they all think im gay, i have a feeling somones playing a prank on me) and it does get extremely irritating but i get the same thing from females constantly all fans of a band i played for who are now famous, and i cant help but feel if it were the woman pursuing the man that there would be no police involvement at all... this is hard one to judge for me personally... theres obviously a true side to this story we may never hear and i think he should have got a slap on the wrist and sent off to learn his lesson... your in the uae mate, dont look, dont touch, and not every invitation is as welcoming as it first appears... :thumbup:

Avarice Aug 29th 2010 7:52 am

was just reading the comments on this story and found this... made me laugh for some reason lol :D

Mo (guest) 22 August 2010 08:24 I can't believe people have time to do all these stupid things in the midst of all the other real problems.

that was the only comment hahaha

tieresias Aug 29th 2010 3:37 pm

Looks like "AMN" had a busy night on July 19th.

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...08-22-1.282045

Not only did she respond to the note left by the 19 year old Pakistani, but according to another story by the same journalist published six days earlier, she also responded to exactly the same note left by a 19 year old Iranian.

It doesn't strike me as very reliable reporting!

seven seas Aug 29th 2010 9:09 pm

It was hard enough saying no to 99% of all those women on Friday, how am I supposed to not give ANY of them my number?

Avarice Aug 30th 2010 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Big Jake (Post 8810978)
Thats probably because you have a facebook account, not to many fully heterosexual males do you know, and i'm quite sure that avatar and signature don't help matters.

But back to the subject, this is why I don't raise my adolescent sons in the middle east. I'm a skirt chaser from a long line of skirt chasers, women are my drug of choice and quite frankly my reason for living. It's a natural thing and I won't deny my sons the pleasure.

your probably right but it goes with the job :thumbup:

and i dunno i never found the uae a difficult place when it came to women at all, i guess the line is drawn in the sand clearly when u start leaving notes on peoples windscreens...

Avarice Aug 31st 2010 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Big Jake (Post 8814843)
But even in this oppressive culture it's not indecent behavior. I mean i'll try to conform to societal norms as much as the next guy but not if they conflict with every fiber of my being. Telling me and my boys to stay away from women is like telling a fish to stay away from the water.

understandable but if someones going to live in a place like this they need to understand the (frequently ridiculous) UAE law and process. U leave a note on a local womans car after following her home your playing with fire...

Avarice Aug 31st 2010 3:26 am

and yes we get it, you and your boys like the ladies... why do i get the feeling something is being compensated for here? :unsure:

Spugsy Aug 31st 2010 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Avarice (Post 8815041)
understandable but if someones going to live in a place like this they need to understand the (frequently ridiculous) UAE law and process. U leave a note on a local womans car after following her home your playing with fire...

the guy must be a proper idiot in all honestly.

Avarice Aug 31st 2010 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 8815103)
the guy must be a proper idiot in all honestly.

yeah really i mean he lives in the country, the women are covered near enough head to toe in a big black sheet... what more of a hint does he need? :huh:

Bungdit Din Sep 1st 2010 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Big Jake (Post 8810978)
Thats probably because you have a facebook account, not to many fully heterosexual males do you know

You're deliberately trolling, right?

seven seas Sep 1st 2010 6:50 pm

It's all the testosterone being pumped 24/7 from his testicles. He can't help but be aggressive and abrasive.

Luckily the ladies love that kind of stuff.

Spugsy Sep 2nd 2010 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Big Jake (Post 8819834)
Dead serious, I wouldn't be caught dead on FaceBook and i'd be shocked, and quite frankly disappointed if one of my sons created an account.

why so?

ctfc Sep 2nd 2010 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 8820394)
why so?

Quite agree with Spugsy. WTF is wrong with Facebook - it's very useful, and quite a good laugh sometime, and I completely and utterly fail to see any reasoning for it to be associated with botty-banditry or any other form of lack of masculinity?

Bahtatboy Sep 2nd 2010 6:33 am

And I know a good number of professional, "normal" people with FB accounts--my kids have them (the older 2 are in top UK universities) and their friends have them. You're not one of these freaks who doesn't allow his kids mobile phones, are you?