Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Don't buy anything expensive in Heathrow duty free

Don't buy anything expensive in Heathrow duty free

Old Sep 15th 2009, 6:03 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Don't buy anything expensive in Heathrow duty free

well durh to us & lesson learned and all that

we bought some watches from Mappin & Webb in Terminal 3 duty free on return home here. when we landed we noticed one of the watches isnt working.

tried to return it. M&W say to go to BAA. BAA pulled their website (today!!!) with the original terms & conditions that said they refund all postage costs, and replaced it with one that said "registered post only" sneaky trick.

unfortunately registered post in Oman is not insured despite Oman Post's website saying they can insure (internal mail only and only up to 15 OMR compensation - or so we were told at the post office by the nice supervisor behind the counter, and by his supervisor on the phone who double checked for us).

BAA refuse to accept courier costs depsite this being our only way to return the faulty watch for refund.

So lucky us get to pay for the privilege of having a faulty watch and returning it.

Lesson learnt - dont buy from Heathrow Airport.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't buy anything expensive in Heathrow duty free

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
well durh to us & lesson learned and all that

we bought some watches from Mappin & Webb in Terminal 3 duty free on return home here. when we landed we noticed one of the watches isnt working.

tried to return it. M&W say to go to BAA. BAA pulled their website (today!!!) with the original terms & conditions that said they refund all postage costs, and replaced it with one that said "registered post only" sneaky trick.

unfortunately registered post in Oman is not insured despite Oman Post's website saying they can insure (internal mail only and only up to 15 OMR compensation - or so we were told at the post office by the nice supervisor behind the counter, and by his supervisor on the phone who double checked for us).

BAA refuse to accept courier costs depsite this being our only way to return the faulty watch for refund.

So lucky us get to pay for the privilege of having a faulty watch and returning it.

Lesson learnt - dont buy from Heathrow Airport.
What about the actual prices? Were they genuinely a lot less than say at M&W's own stores or was it a DDF-style rip-off?

Last edited by The Dean; Sep 15th 2009 at 6:13 pm. Reason: y... r...
Old Sep 15th 2009, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
What about the actual prices? Were they genuinely a lot less than say at M&W's own stores or was it a DDF-style rip-off?
some stuff is genuinely loads cheaper...mulberry bags, for example are around £80-90 less than in uk shops...

MM, xx
Old Sep 15th 2009, 6:25 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
they were genuinely VAT free from M&W's website prices
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

What did you use to pay for it?

If it was a credit card then your CC company is liable for it potentially.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

If you bought a 'reputable' brand from M&W, then it should come with an international warranty? Is there not a dealer in Oman who can take a look a the watch for you?

I bought a laptop in the Uk, and now currently in the process of claiming back the VAT, around £100, but if I'd bought it at heathrow ( T5 ) , then the price was VAT free anyway, so considerably cheaper, but still come its own international warranty.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:59 am
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

When watches don't work, it's usually a bad battery. I just had mine swapped here for 50 dhs. Try that instead of the post and all.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:13 pm
womble

thanks guys. It's one of those self-winding ones so a bit more complicated than a battery unfortunately.

Yes, it comes with an international warranty, but given it has not worked from day zero would you ever feel comfortable with that kind of watch? I've had it before where we tried to get something repaired straight away and ended up spending years and time and money basically trying to revive something that was dead at the beginning.

I hadnt thought about the credit card option. That's a good idea. I will follow that up.

Thank you.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

thanks guys. It's one of those self-winding ones so a bit more complicated than a battery unfortunately.

Yes, it comes with an international warranty, but given it has not worked from day zero would you ever feel comfortable with that kind of watch? I've had it before where we tried to get something repaired straight away and ended up spending years and time and money basically trying to revive something that was dead at the beginning.

I hadnt thought about the credit card option. That's a good idea. I will follow that up.

Thank you.
If it's a reputable watchmaker i'd kick up a major fuss with them and demand a replacement be posted out or a credit note made out to a local retailer.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CeeBee
If it's a reputable watchmaker i'd kick up a major fuss with them and demand a replacement be posted out or a credit note made out to a local retailer.
yeah, i agree...they should replace it no questions...

MM, xx
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:38 pm
womble

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
yeah, i agree...they should replace it no questions...

MM, xx
It was M&W and cost around 1600 pounds sterling, so am VERY pissed off and will never buy from them again.

I will also never buy anything from Heathrow Airport shops again if there is a tiny thought that I might want to return them.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.
Fair enough, good point. I bought an Omega Seamaster Pro, had it a few years now, and would be seriously cheesed off it didn't work from day one. Though, with the international warranty, you may be able to get it replaced.

Good luck with getting a refund / replacement.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 5:52 pm
womble

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Fair enough, good point. I bought an Omega Seamaster Pro, had it a few years now, and would be seriously cheesed off it didn't work from day one. Though, with the international warranty, you may be able to get it replaced.

Good luck with getting a refund / replacement.
that's the same watch we bought

well latest update is that they told us to send it by courier but at our cost.

just found out from DHL that the b*****s have refused to accept the shipment!

wtf?!?!

what on earth do we do now?!

sob
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently in the UK, returning to Dubai on the 30th, but returning to the UK on the 8th October and flying back to Dubai on the 13th. I'll be flying Emirates (thus to and from T3)

I know you don't know me from Adam, but I'll offer my transport services to return the watch for you. Obviously you'll have to get it to me in Dubai.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 5:40 pm
womble

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB
I'm currently in the UK, returning to Dubai on the 30th, but returning to the UK on the 8th October and flying back to Dubai on the 13th. I'll be flying Emirates (thus to and from T3)

I know you don't know me from Adam, but I'll offer my transport services to return the watch for you. Obviously you'll have to get it to me in Dubai.
thanks mav - that's kind of you!

we got resolution today - apparently according to BAA, DHL's driver was being a moron and didnt ask the site security guy where to deliver to and just said that the recipient refused, and to be fair, BAA emailed us to let us know that they did finally receive it, but only after I wrote a strongly worded email to DHL! took DHL 6 days to clear customs - can you imagine?!

keep your fingers crossed everyone for me that we will get the refund after all this!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.