British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Don't be blinded by the lights (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dont-blinded-lights-509193/)

axlenoyl Jan 26th 2008 5:45 am

Don't be blinded by the lights

Article from Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/ma...e-in-dubai.xml

Sam FTQ Jan 26th 2008 6:15 am

Re: Don't be blinded by the lights

Originally Posted by axlenoyl (Post 5840828)

Our very own Blue Cat, quoted in the Telegraph!

Madam Medusa Jan 26th 2008 6:38 am

Originally Posted by axlenoyl (Post 5840828)

interesting if only scratching the surface...but why the hell would anyone quoted in there need their name changed?? not like any of the quotes were saying anything bad, and there must be enough expats who would have been willing to be interviewed under their "real" names...

MM, xx

Grace O Malley Jan 26th 2008 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5840899)
interesting if only scratching the surface...but why the hell would anyone quoted in there need their name changed?? not like any of the quotes were saying anything bad, and there must be enough expats who would have been willing to be interviewed under their "real" names...

MM, xx

Yes agreed

Good article tho. I am seriously shocked at the amount of new people coming to the UAE, its expensive as the article states and its gonna get worse

Ah the good ole days are gone;)

axlenoyl Jan 26th 2008 9:28 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 5841036)
Yes agreed

Good article tho. I am seriously shocked at the amount of new people coming to the UAE, its expensive as the article states and its gonna get worse

Ah the good ole days are gone;)

With my other half its a case of its always been something he wanted to do, he has probably gone as far as he can in his trade in the Uk, he wants to work on larger projects, he says if he doesn't come and he is giving up one hell of a position to do so, he would always wonder "What if"

BUT

In the UK costs are rising like hell, property, utilities, petrol, this all as a reflection on travel costs, trains, buses taxis etc.

The roads are terrible, the infrastructure for flooding, crime, I could go on.

Rents are not rising as fast as the property prices wheras in Dubai the rentals do not seem in line with purchase costs. The government has the cost of loiving increase at just over 2% where on earth do they get this from! Simple as other governments they lie or hide the truth.

The article mentions ""When I go to the UK on holidays, I find it depressing how my friends just accept things the way they are even if they're unhappy"

i get the impression from this and other forums that there are indeed many people in Dubai as there will be in every other country who are exactly the same.

There is indeed one particular forum where almost everyone complains about the rising costs etc but still stay in Dubai or AD or Quatar and not because they are tied into a contract but possibly because they like the alternative of coming back to the UK even less!

My partner is certainly looking forward to coming out to Dubai, I myself have mixed thoughts but I will be joining him for a holiday shortly after his arrival, I will see what job prospects there are and take it from there.

I think it was BEE BEE who wanted the orange aero, I won't let him forget it, anyone else want anything they cannot get over there but miss! oh The Dean and Confucious looking forward to your requests!!

Blue Cat Jan 26th 2008 11:10 am

I used my real name, she didn't believe I was called Blue Cat ;)

Eeyore Jan 26th 2008 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5840899)
why the hell would anyone quoted in there need their name changed??

Good question, Madam Medusa - why indeed would anyone not want to use their real name? ;)

Madam Medusa Jan 26th 2008 11:23 am

Originally Posted by GarethR (Post 5841492)
Good question, Madam Medusa - why indeed would anyone not want to use their real name? ;)

i've always used my real name when being quoted in the press...

MM, xx

Inselaffen Jan 26th 2008 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5841501)

MM, xx

i never get quoted in the press :(

Madam Medusa Jan 26th 2008 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5841504)
i never get quoted in the press :(

employ me as your pr person then...

MM, xx

Inselaffen Jan 26th 2008 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5841507)
employ me as your pr person then...

MM, xx

not with your likely expenses bill I wont!! :blink:

was interviewed by 2 French TV channels a few years ago though!

nottmbantam Jan 26th 2008 11:31 am

Originally Posted by axlenoyl (Post 5841239)
With my other half its a case of its always been something he wanted to do, he has probably gone as far as he can in his trade in the Uk, he wants to work on larger projects, he says if he doesn't come and he is giving up one hell of a position to do so, he would always wonder "What if"

BUT

In the UK costs are rising like hell, property, utilities, petrol, this all as a reflection on travel costs, trains, buses taxis etc.

Pretty much the reason I can't wait to get out to Riyadh. After having checked the package I'm on, and having it confirmed it really is what I thought is was :thumbup: the next few weeks / months can't go past quick enough.

I appreciate that Dubai is a different kettle of fish to Riyadh, but considering the seemingly increasing levels of dissatisfaction here in the UK, I think a move abroad is about the only option.

Going for my medical / induction week after next then I might be a little clearer as to when I get out there!

Blue Cat Jan 26th 2008 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5841501)

MM, xx

so you aren't really called Madam Medusa? :p

Madam Medusa Jan 26th 2008 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5841767)
so you aren't really called Madam Medusa? :p

funnily enough, no...

MM, xx

The Dean Jan 26th 2008 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by axlenoyl (Post 5841239)

BUT

Rents are not rising as fast as the property prices wheras in Dubai the rentals do not seem in line with purchase costs. The government has the cost of loiving increase at just over 2% where on earth do they get this from! Simple as other governments they lie or hide the truth.

The article mentions ""When I go to the UK on holidays, I find it depressing how my friends just accept things the way they are even if they're unhappy"

i get the impression from this and other forums that there are indeed many people in Dubai as there will be in every other country who are exactly the same.

There is indeed one particular forum where almost everyone complains about the rising costs etc but still stay in Dubai or AD or Quatar and not because they are tied into a contract but possibly because they like the alternative of coming back to the UK even less!

My partner is certainly looking forward to coming out to Dubai, I myself have mixed thoughts but I will be joining him for a holiday shortly after his arrival, I will see what job prospects there are and take it from there.

I think it was BEE BEE who wanted the orange aero, I won't let him forget it, anyone else want anything they cannot get over there but miss! oh The Dean and Confucious looking forward to your requests!!

Property prices "still rising in the UK"??

Er.... no......

Don't think so - the market has started a meltdown, the credit and sub-prime crises from USA are spilling over elsewhere - and banks just have no money now, as they have had to write down billions from defaults and their own investment portfolios crashing.

Example - a person not a million miles from me was offered a GBP 180k mortgage in July, but the purchase fell through. Now he has found a similar place - but his bank will only offer him GBP 145k - despite his income and circumstances etc being unchanged. They are out of cash.

Sellers of houses will need to lower their sale price expectations to meet available finance levels.

Prediction - 2008 average UK house price will fall 12 pct.