Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Don't be blinded by the lights

Don't be blinded by the lights

Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:41 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't be blinded by the lights

Originally Posted by The Dean
Don't think so - the market has started a meltdown
This, of course, being the meltdown that "wasn't going to happen".

Sellers of houses will need to lower their sale price expectations to meet available finance levels
That's not the only downward pressure on prices. Distress sales are increasing rapidly, which forces prices down further. We know people who are genuinely desperate to sell as fast as they possibly can - not because they need the money for their next place, but because if they don't sell *now*, they probably won't make enough to clear their mortgage, equity release loan, credit cards, personal loans, etc.

Cheap money always ends up expensive.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Property prices "still rising in the UK"??

Er.... no......
this isn't correct...property prices definitely ARE rising in some places...just take richmond/kew as an example, it's gone from mad to totally and utterly bonkers...

MM, xx
Old Jan 27th 2008, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

The UK is a big place, compared to Dubai. I wouldn't be surprised if property prices do fall in the UK this year/next year depending on how hard it is for people to get mortgages but I don't think you can make a blanket statement like "prices are expected to fall 12%". Some places will probably loose more and some might not go down at all. Some, as the lady with the strange hair pointed out, might even keep going up.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
Some, as the lady with the strange hair pointed out, might even keep going up.
oii...leave my snake hair alone, lol...

MM, xx
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

axlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant future

Er.... no......

Don't think so - the market has started a meltdown, the credit and sub-prime crises from USA are spilling over elsewhere - and banks just have no money now, as they have had to write down billions from defaults and their own investment portfolios crashing.

Example - a person not a million miles from me was offered a GBP 180k mortgage in July, but the purchase fell through. Now he has found a similar place - but his bank will only offer him GBP 145k - despite his income and circumstances etc being unchanged. They are out of cash.

Sellers of houses will need to lower their sale price expectations to meet available finance levels.

Prediction - 2008 average UK house price will fall 12 pct.
I live in good old gods country in the North East and prices are certainly not dropping here
I would agree that according to recent reports banks and building societies are not lending as much or as easily as they were but that is generally the case on all borrowing not just mortgages

I hope you are right about the 12% then the first time borrowers may well be able to ay least afford a caravan or even stretch to a street house.
All I was saying was that it is not only Dubai that has spiralling costs it is the UK and many other countries as well.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

I think expats tend to put their rose tinted glasses on when the get off the plane and start remembering "the good old days" back home, as if home is stuck in a time warp. They tend to forget that wherever home is has inflation as well.

In the UK just look at the way utility prices have rocketed up and the next trick is a 4% rise on council tax. Dubai does suffer from high inflation but "home" isn't exactly inflation free at the moment.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
oii...leave my snake hair alone, lol...

MM, xx
He meant MH...........
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:44 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Er.... no......

Don't think so - the market has started a meltdown, the credit and sub-prime crises from USA are spilling over elsewhere - and banks just have no money now, as they have had to write down billions from defaults and their own investment portfolios crashing.

Example - a person not a million miles from me was offered a GBP 180k mortgage in July, but the purchase fell through. Now he has found a similar place - but his bank will only offer him GBP 145k - despite his income and circumstances etc being unchanged. They are out of cash.

Sellers of houses will need to lower their sale price expectations to meet available finance levels.

Bold prediction but I think overall you're on track about UK houseprices...but there are still places with significant rises such as parts of central london etc.

It's all about location...

As for the person you know who was offered the mortgage, is he or she in the UK or over here?

N.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Er.... no......

it depends on where in the uk you live... in london house prices are still on the rise... other parts of the country the prices are either not increasing or are dropping... because of the reasons you just mentioned...

london prices are holding because of overseas buyers, and expats moving over here are more likely to work in london
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

axlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant future

london prices are holding because of overseas buyers, and expats moving over here are more likely to work in london[/QUOTE]

and what do you base those facts on?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by axlenoyl
london prices are holding because of overseas buyers, and expats moving over here are more likely to work in london

and what do you base those facts on?[/QUOTE]

have a look at the job market... there are more jobs in london and the surrounding areas than almost anywhere.

in terms of people moving here for a high paying job etc... the chances are it'll be to one of the cities...

even oil companies who recruit expats, house them within zone 1-6...

i know there are plenty of other places in the uk where expats come into the country, but on the whole you'll find more expats living and working in this part of the country. The fact is london is still growing and fast... olympics are 4 years away and its still the safest bet for buying a house as investment in the uk.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:54 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

have a look at the job market... there are more jobs in london and the surrounding areas than almost anywhere.

in terms of people moving here for a high paying job etc... the chances are it'll be to one of the cities...

even oil companies who recruit expats, house them within zone 1-6...

i know there are plenty of other places in the uk where expats come into the country, but on the whole you'll find more expats living and working in this part of the country. The fact is london is still growing and fast... olympics are 4 years away and its still the safest bet for buying a house as investment in the uk.

A friend at BarCap is not as optimistic as you - she said the fallout so far from the sub-prime fiasco is the tip of the iceberg.

Add to this too many people mortgaging themselves to the hilt and taking on buy-to-rent properties, and I'm not sure the outlook is so rosy in the UK.

I know in IT, companies in the Middle East are actively recruiting at the moment. Within IT most other regions around the world have headcount freezes on. Think I'll take my chances here for a bit longer.

P.S. Doesn't London have a problem with the power supply (i.e. not enough) for preparing for the Olympics?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Too many people in the UK have been using their houses like cashpoints- remortgaging and taking money out as the place went up in value. Thus they are now living in houses that have gone up 100% in the last 10 years but still don't have any equity in them. For them negative equity is only a small dip in the market away.