Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Domestic maintenance service providers and costs

Domestic maintenance service providers and costs

Old Jun 20th 2015, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Domestic maintenance service providers and costs

Well we are now into house hunting mode with less than 4 weeks to go as we are ready for a move from the current house and the landlord doesn't answer emails anymore so we don't even know if he wants to renew or not. Whilst we have lived on the Ranches, we have paid an annual fee (7000 aed) to Emril for a maintenance and repair contract and have certainly had our moneys worth out of them given the crap AC units that were fitted on the Almas. In fact we haven't been able to really fault them seriously in 2 years, they generally turn up when they say they will, carry spares for the Ranches AC units, know the potable waters systems like the back of their hand etc etc
However if we move from the Ranches, has anyone any recommendations for a company they have used who operate similarly in the general market for non development properties and the costs? I know there are loads out there such as jim'll fix it etc but no idea on their capabilities. I don't want to opt for call out fees as and when required.

Any help gladly received
Old Jun 20th 2015, 5:13 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Domestic maintenance service providers and costs

Two things:
Firstly if you have had no answer then your contract rolls over exactly as before, same price etc. Take the cheques to RERA and inform the LL where they are and that he can pick them up when he takes a new contract to them.
By law all maintenance is down to the LL, you should not be paying for a contract, he should.

I suppose it depends on whether you want to stay where you are (with estate agents fees, moving costs etc.)
Old Jun 20th 2015, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Two things:
Firstly if you have had no answer then your contract rolls over exactly as before, same price etc. Take the cheques to RERA and inform the LL where they are and that he can pick them up when he takes a new contract to them.
By law all maintenance is down to the LL, you should not be paying for a contract, he should.

I suppose it depends on whether you want to stay where you are (with estate agents fees, moving costs etc.)
No we don't want to stay. Too many problems with the house. LL is only required to provide basic maintenance for structural issues and not day to day. Fancy a little more space so we can get the elderly relatives to stay so want something with a downstairs en suite maids room. The price of a suitable villa with downstairs maids on Alma is now 220 - 235 so a place in Jumeira or Umm Sequim or Al Barsha appears a bargain at 190 - 200
Old Jun 20th 2015, 5:56 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
LL is only required to provide basic maintenance for structural issues and not day to day.
Is this a part of the contract you signed? Because the law is very clear ALL maintenance.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I must say Tock, I loved the ranches, but I know how you feel.

There is also something to be said for living in an organically developed area vs. masterplan.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikewot
Is this a part of the contract you signed? Because the law is very clear ALL maintenance.
It was stated in the contract that my company signed !! if it was my dirhams I would have possibly contested it but when we landed we assumed that my company knew best
Old Jun 20th 2015, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I must say Tock, I loved the ranches, but I know how you feel.

There is also something to be said for living in an organically developed area vs. masterplan.
I cant say I don't like the ranches but market rate for a 3 bed with the maids room downstairs that as said our elderly relatives can use is now 220 - 235 on Alma which appears to be kicking the arse out of it especially as budget is 200k. Alma has a great location and is well looked after and we haven't been blighted by all the break ins that have happened in Saheel so it still feels safe etc.
As I travel so much the Mrs feeling safe is important but it might be nice to experience something different from the Ranches. I don't for one moment think I will be running to the beach for a swim every morning in my MAMIL moment but it might be nice in Winter to be able to take a stroll.
My mrs is concerned about the lack of community however we both are miserable sods and I like my own company and time with the kids when at home so the perceived spirit of community in the ranches is just a fallacy of no relevance to us.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
I cant say I don't like the ranches but market rate for a 3 bed with the maids room downstairs that as said our elderly relatives can use is now 220 - 235 on Alma which appears to be kicking the arse out of it especially as budget is 200k. Alma has a great location and is well looked after and we haven't been blighted by all the break ins that have happened in Saheel so it still feels safe etc.
As I travel so much the Mrs feeling safe is important but it might be nice to experience something different from the Ranches. I don't for one moment think I will be running to the beach for a swim every morning in my MAMIL moment but it might be nice in Winter to be able to take a stroll.
My mrs is concerned about the lack of community however we both are miserable sods and I like my own company and time with the kids when at home so the perceived spirit of community in the ranches is just a fallacy of no relevance to us.
The only sense of community in the ranches is the common sense of dread of trying to leave at 7.30am

I didn't know that there had been a lot of breakins. The landlord told me that my place was done in Reem but that was years ago. It's normally a housemaid/ houseboy turned feral.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

The Facebook pages my mrs subscribes to have been full of break ins of late and all bar one in saheel on the perimeter
There was also an attempted break in on a friends place in posh almara but the dogs went for them so they legged it. No one has been caught yet which is worrying and says something about the shit security. I wish they wouldn't rotate the security staff so often
Does give me the bargaining power to pick up a couple of ridge backs for family protection though