Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Doha vs. Dhahran - A tale of two offers

Doha vs. Dhahran - A tale of two offers

Old May 31st 2015, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Doha vs. Dhahran - A tale of two offers

You only live once. You'll spend money you thought you were going to save by getting out of KSA to clean, safe places with bacon, beer and babes.

Not sure how safe Qatar is going to be in the near future, but we're starting to have a bit of a kerfuffle here in Saudi with things blowing up and cops shot.
Old May 31st 2015, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

NT has always triumphed over OT. NT is about Jesus and his teachings and that is the core of Christianity. I like to explain the difference between Islam and Christianity by pointing out that the Christian prophet, Jesus, preached forgiveness and died for other people's sins, while the Muslim prophet, Mohammed, introduced a bunch of silly rules and ordered other people's deaths. That tells you everything you need to know about their respective gods. They may technically share a common origin in the Jewish god but that's where the similarities ends. They are, for all practical purposes, not the same god, not that it really matters as there's no god but human belief.

Anyway,

The cherrypicking of what to believe in beyond what was explicitly preached by Jesus in the NT has generally been considered one of the strengths of Christianity and allowed it to evolve over the centuries.

And the pork bit has never been a Christian issue from practically day one.

Originally Posted by Bungdit Din
If you say so.

And yet Christians are happy to pick and choose what they want to believe from both the OT and NT. If they completely disregarded the OT I wouldn't mind so much.
Old May 31st 2015, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

omega7 is an unknown quantity at this point

@Millhouse

Well I'm not into going crazy, so they way you describe KSA doesn't live much room for debate. Thanks.

Originally Posted by co durham boy
So if you're going to do it then it must be for a large premium .
Thanks for the point CDB. How much in your opinion should this premium be: is 40% more enough (or an additional $65k in annual savings)? I understand that there are certain people that wouldn't go to KSA for practically any amount. But if one were to go, what should this premium be? I understand that to a large extent it's up to the individual. My difficulty is that I don't know how bad KSA is (never been there before) so I'm trying now only to guess how much more I should take to make it worth it.

@EastWest

Well I understand your point. However, the idea of going to KSA alone isn't very appealing. I guess I feel that going there alone would mean also staying alone. And yes I'd be visiting friends in Dubai, but I would also like to have a community of people to socialize with locally. But I now understand your idea - thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by Beakersful
You only live once. You'll spend money you thought you were going to save by getting out of KSA.
Very likely - thanks for the input.

Thank you all for sharing your views. I'd love to hear if anyone else has a view on the issue, particularly on what is the % premium in your view that would justify the move from Doha (which isn't exactly Dubai anyway) to Dhahran.

Last edited by omega7; May 31st 2015 at 1:15 pm.
Old May 31st 2015, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

I had more fun living 4 years in KSA than in living 11 years in Dohell. THAT I can tell you for sure. Oh...and I met my (western) husband while living in KSA. Just sayin'.....
Old May 31st 2015, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alexa
...and I met my (western) husband while living in KSA. Just sayin'.....
Probably that's why you like KSA over Doha
Old May 31st 2015, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alexa
I had more fun living 4 years in KSA than in living 11 years in Dohell. THAT I can tell you for sure. Oh...and I met my (western) husband while living in KSA. Just sayin'.....

Well I guess as EastWest said above it does play a role in your perception of the place. I'm just curious what is that hasn't worked out in Doha? I mean you have relatively more freedom to do things with your husband, and cant think of anything that might be better in KSA vs. Doha (except the money of course). Granted you may meet the super right people in KSA and really have in the end a great social life (within a compound of course), but I guess that would be more attributable to luck than the actual place. But then again I may be missing something.
Old May 31st 2015, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

GolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant future

I'd listen to the doubts that you are clearly having and avoid the Saudi role for now. If, after spending a couple of years in Doha, you decide that you have a taste for further deprivation and more money, then you can think about a move to Saudi.

Given that your skills are clearly in demand and seem to be able to command a good package, have you tried looking for something in Abu Dhabi? There's lots of government organisations here in need of strategists, and you'll probably find it a lot more amenable than either of the options that you're currently looking at.
Old May 31st 2015, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks GolfGardener for note.

In fact I did search last year in AD for a place and was successful in getting a similar offer in Strategy. The salary was 35k AED (plus an extremely generous housing-only allowance and the usual expat perks) and I found it too low to justify the move. Granted it's AD and I really liked it, but the money was rather low.

I like your idea of using Qatar as the basis and then looking around for either more money (KSA) or a more balanced life (UAE). Thanks again.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 8:11 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Here we ****ing go.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 8:15 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH

Christianity is based on the NT, not the OT. The OT is where it says no pork. In the NT Jesus says it is not what we put in our mouths that makes people unclean (what we eat) but what comes out our mouths (our words) that make us unfit. Book of Matthew, I think.
In various places--some of the top scenes, in fact--all of God's words are to be taken as gospel (so to speak), so you don't get to pick and choose.

Sorry--introducing analysis, rationality and logic into the equation. I'm being stupid again.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by omega7
One question though: why do you think that being a single is a plus for taking a job in KSA?

I am an European woman and mother and scientist, I work and live in Doha and I can cope with it. If my husband would tell me that he wants to move to Saudi with all the family, I will simply divorce. :-)

Life seems to be a prison for women in Saudi. You would just make your family really unhappy if you would bring it to Saudi.

take a look at the beautiful and touching movie "Wadjda" - from the first Saudi woman director.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by primularossa
I am an European woman and mother and scientist, I work and live in Doha and I can cope with it. If my husband would tell me that he wants to move to Saudi with all the family, I will simply divorce. :-)
Well you are right in that I'm being selfish when I say that it's better not to be single and going to KSA. At the end of the day, I wouldn't want my wife to lose her sanity so that I can keep mine. Thanks for your insight.

On a separate but related note, in your answer you make it sound that you'd be 'ok' to let your husband go to KSA and work there as long as he doesn't take you/the family with him. If that's not the case, apologies I misunderstood. But if indeed you'd consider that, how much more (as a premium in his earnings) do you think would justify the move and the separation?

Last edited by omega7; Jun 1st 2015 at 1:27 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

Well, every couple has its own dinamics and equilibria and what will go for us might not fit other couples...I would not monetize everything. It depends also from the experience. I would ask my husband if he would be happy on the whole, considering pros and con's. If the position in doha is not bad, I would prefer if we all stay in Doha, less money but more happiness!!
Old Jun 1st 2015, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

@primularossa

Makes sense; I'd vote for Doha as well with my wife.

I'm just a bit confused (yet not really too surprised), why people seem to have so strong negative feelings about Doha. I say not surprised, cause as an expat in London I cant say I was super thrilled with it. It's an expensive place (which I couldn't really afford with my salary back then) not to mention the weather which can be at times depressing. So if I - as an expat - was neutral to negative about London, then I can imagine that it wont be difficult at all to develop negative feelings about Doha, especially if the money is not super good.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, of course places are different and it depends on what you like to do. But if you travel and move around the world, the best thing to do is to go with an open mind and try to make the most on any place. Except Saudi :-)
In London, I appreciate many things, for example the vivid cultural life and the museums - it is expensive, but there is a way to survive. The Barbican theatre is not expensive, the libraries with lots of videos and books on loan, the parks, the concerts of the Proms, many things....
In Doha, also you can find many cultural activities: The MIA, katara, the Doha film Institute, the Doha Sailing Club, going to the seaside in february, horse riding, visiting the surroundings, many different kinds of food, the jazz club at St Regis, concerts for free at the Qatar Filarmonic Orchestra, and time for social relationships. Up to now, I never get bored....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.